should I get the Bose Moonroof pkg on the touring?

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
I've decided to get a 2016 FWD Touring in sonic silver, but trying to decide whether to opt up for the Bose Moonroof package or not. I think I could live with or without either of those options, and saving the $1100 is tempting. Just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake if I don't upgrade right now because I doubt I would ever upgrade with an aftermarket system or speakers anyway. I'm not really going to be pushing the audio or bass to its limits like a teenager anymore...I usually listen to a lot of classic rock or sports talk. I've listened to the Bose briefly during a test drive and couldn't tell much of a difference compared to the stock audio system. Am I missing something? Also it gives you 9 speakers rather than 6. Where are the added 3 speakers located? I assume one is a center channel in the dash. So is it worth getting the Bose in your opinion?
As for the moonroof, I think just having the extra sunlight coming in through the glass even closed would be helpful in "opening up" the dark black cloth interior. Does rear headroom change if you have the moonroof? Also does road noise change if you have the moonroof? Is that shade sound dampening too? Also has anyone had any problems with water leaks in the moonroof? Thanks for any help.

Nine mostly mid-range cheap paper-cone speakers on CX-5's Bose Audio system definitely sucks! The front-center-heavy Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound System is for movie watching and we don't watch movie while driving! The sound quality for music listening is flat and lifeless at best as it has no directional front tweeters and subwoofer, and worse than cheaper 7-speaker Bose system on CX-3 which comes with front dash tweeters and subwoofer in the spare-tire area. Although you, like me, don't push the audio or bass to its limits like a teenager anymore, but you do listen to the music - a lot of classic rock. You would be disappointed to the Bose system on CX-5 as you'd already found out during your test drive - it's not much better than 6-speaker setup on Touring!

CX-5 Bose has very similar speaker setup as new Mazda6 but less two front dash tweeters. A pair of 9" Nd "woofers" in front doors. A 3" mid-range Twiddler in the middle of the dash while two additional 3" mid-range Twiddlers on either side. A pair of 5" wide-range speakers placed in each rear door. A pair of 3" mid-range Twiddler positioned in the rear D pillars.

Honestly I'd get the Touring Technology Package just for excellent LED lighting system with AFS. But unfortunately you have to get Moonroof and Bose Audio Package for the Tech! I guess it's really your call and depending on how much money you're willing to spend.

I think if you have had a moonroof you will regret not getting one. I have mine vented most of the summer. My daughter just got a Mazda 3 with one and loves it, it was her first moonroof. I can see her getting one from now on. Resale would be much better. When I close my sunshade I feel I am in a cave without the extra light.
I have read other people's posts about the Bose system. I am not an audio expert but I really like it. Remember, it is a car not your living room. The Centerpoint is great and I wish it came on with all the other stations and audio systems. But again it is personal taste.
I also have the tech package and like it. The HIDs are fantastic (2015), don't know about the LEDs. The moving of the headlights is a safety thing and nice. Smart city braking- hope I never have to see it work.
When it is time to trade or sell it I would think all of these would make it more desirable, now I enjoy them.

No leaks from my moonroof or added noise. The Bose and especially the moonroof are both options that if you pass on them now there is no way to add them back later. The Bose system has a different wiring harness for the extra 3 speakers you get (center channel, right/left rear d-pillar mounted speakers) which aren't wired otherwise. This means a simple speaker swap wouldn't be possible because no wires are populated to those speaker mounts. Also the moonroof obviously can't be added in aftermarket lol. Some car manufacturers charge near/more than $1100 just for the moonroof alone so if you think about it you are getting your money's worth. My 2 cents

Honestly I'd get the Touring Technology Package just for excellent LED lighting system with AFS. But unfortunately you have to get Moonroof and Bose Audio Package for the Tech! I guess it's really your call and depending on how much money you're willing to spend.

Thanks for the info. I guess the standard audio system will be fine for my needs. I'm gonna compare them one more time at the dealer before I make a decision for or against putting up $1100 for the Bose Moonroof pkg.
I dont want the Touring Tech pkg. I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't like the LED lights. They look like weird eyeballs with eyebrows to me on the front and back. They remind me of cartoonish Angry Birds. What's even worse are the bijou looking DRLs I see on so many new cars, like on an Audi. They just look like stupid Christmas rope lights and you cant even turn then off if you want to. And I don't really like the intense blue light LED headlights put out. They may put out brighter light, but I hate driving past other cars with bright annoying LEDs. They almost look like highbeams coming at you. The standard lights on the sport and touring still look better to me overall. Plus they are much cheaper to replace if need be.

Last edited:
I've decided to get a 2016 FWD Touring in sonic silver, but trying to decide whether to opt up for the Bose Moonroof package or not. I think I could live with or without either of those options, and saving the $1100 is tempting. Just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake if I don't upgrade right now because I doubt I would ever upgrade with an aftermarket system or speakers anyway. I'm not really going to be pushing the audio or bass to its limits like a teenager anymore...I usually listen to a lot of classic rock or sports talk. I've listened to the Bose briefly during a test drive and couldn't tell much of a difference compared to the stock audio system. Am I missing something? Also it gives you 9 speakers rather than 6. Where are the added 3 speakers located? I assume one is a center channel in the dash. So is it worth getting the Bose in your opinion?
As for the moonroof, I think just having the extra sunlight coming in through the glass even closed would be helpful in "opening up" the dark black cloth interior. Does rear headroom change if you have the moonroof? Also does road noise change if you have the moonroof? Is that shade sound dampening too? Also has anyone had any problems with water leaks in the moonroof? Thanks for any help.

I could take or leave both of them... Although I rarely open mine, I do like the sunroof for the extra light as you mentioned. I do like the BOSE when played through an Audio CD and cranked to level 40-50.

I do not have a non-moonroof version to sample at home to compare, but I do not notice any noise when closed, and I never have had a leak.

If you are frugal and like the idea of saving the money, and don't think you will miss it, I would save the $1100.

But if you are one that second guesses everything after you buy, and have remorse often, perhaps going for the BOSEMOON package might be your best option.

Sometimes simply letting the dealer know you are undecided on an option package can get them to offer the package to you at free or reduced price in order to complete the sale.

Thanks for the info. I guess the standard audio system will be fine for my needs. I'm gonna compare them one more time at the dealer before I make a decision for or against putting up $1100 for the Bose Moonroof pkg.
I dont want the Touring Tech pkg. I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't like the LED lights. They look like weird eyeballs with eyebrows to me on the front and back. They remind me of cartoonish Angry Birds. What's even worse are the bijou looking DRLs I see on so many new cars, like on an Audi. They just look like stupid Christmas rope lights and you cant even turn then off if you want to. And I don't really like the intense blue light LED headlights put out. They may put out brighter light, but I hate driving past other cars with bright annoying LEDs. They almost look like highbeams coming at you. The standard lights on the sport and touring still look better to me overall. Plus they are much cheaper to replace if need be.
Yeah, bring your favorite CDs next time for your test drive. I bet you won't be able to hear too much enhancement from Bose than standard Touring audio.

I've not seen anybody complaining about leaky moonroof on CX-5. I feel your concern as I have a VW Passat and it's infamously having water leak problem from moonroof drains.

If you don't like new LED DRLs and tail lights, and brighter LED headlights and fog lights, then it's an easy choice for you. Just forget about Moonroof and Bose Audio Package to save $1,100. I like these LED lights so much that I went all the way to a GT model with Tech. I also need brighter lights during the night helping me see better as I'm getting older. But I'd still put some better aftermarket speakers to replace OEM ones, Bose or non-Bose, just for a little better sound for music! There are threads here for how-to and it's not difficult to DIY.

I wouldn't buy a car without a sunroof. Love it for the more open feel of the car, love those cools nights when its too cold to open the windows, but I can open the sunroof. Also on the hot days, its great in cooling off the car. Not to mention I'd imagine resale value is better when you have a sunroof.

As for the Bose, I never listened to their regular stereo system but the Bose sounds great to me. Complainers will always be louder than those of us who are happy.

If you're gonna spend 20k+ on a vehicle, get it exactly how YOU want it. Especially if you're gonna keep it for a long time. For me it was back an forth between the tech package. I went with it because I know I would regret it and not be 100% happy and me being happy for the next 5-10 years is absolutely worth the 1500 or whatever it was for the tech package. Just make sure you're happy with it.

Last edited:
I got it because it comes with the car if you want the tech package. To be honest, I don't mind the Bose at all. Better than stock!

I wish I could have ordered my CX-5 with the tech headlights and without the useless moonroof but this was not possible so now I'm stuck with a compromised roof that is at least 40 lbs. over-weight. I never open the cover because I don't like the light shining into my eyes from directly above.

It's a matter of preference, of course, but opinions on the adequacy of the options may help. I like the moonroof, though some would like a much wider opening and one-touch closing (I would, too). But I'd rather have it, despite its flaws, than not. No water leaks yet. I park indoors but it rains a lot in 3 seasons here, so it gets lots of water over it while driving.

The Bose sounds very smooth and subtle in the parking lot with the windows closed. It lacks the punch for an automotive environment, especially one with above average noise levels like the CX-5. If music is a big priority for you, you'll likely modify the stock system. I'm considering it despite swearing off audio mods 20 years ago. The non-Bose optional mid level sound in my 2010 Mazda 3 GT sounded better to me than the Bose in my 2015 CX-5.

Blind spot warning in tech-package is huge. Just my $.02

As far as the headlights, I had the halogens in my '14. They are inferior to my 2016 headlights. I wont get another car with century old incandescent headlight technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind spot warning in tech-package is huge. Just my $.02

As far as the headlights, I had the halogens in my '14. They are inferior to my 2016 headlights. I wont get another car with century old incandescent headlight technology.

Blind spot monitoring isn't part of the tech package. It's on all touring models and above. I agree 100% though on the lighting comments. The LED lighting is absolutely amazing and makes halogen bulbs looks completely unsafe with the horrible light output.

Blind spot monitoring isn't part of the tech package. It's on all touring models and above. I

Good catch! All I cared about was the upgraded lights and the sunroof. So I ended up getting the add-ons. TBH I was content with the standard stereo in my 2014 (RIP).

The Sunroof is nice. It makes the car feel classier and premium. Makes you feel more content with your car.

A lot of people knock the Bose System.. BUT... This is what I have analyzed

That different radio stations sound better than others in my car. For instance in my area, station 103.5 doesnt sound so good and staticy at times. 99.9 sounds really crisp. When they play a song I like and put the volume 3/4 of the way up, it still is crisp and sounds great.

Bring A CD that you know has HD sound and doesnt let you down on another stereo system. I too used to knock my bose until I realized it was only some stations that made the stereos sound average. Other HD channels sound great. The songs on my iphone are crisp as well going 3/4 of the max. Thats plenty loud and anything beyond that to me is a hazard.

I really like the Bose stereo. Yes, I realize it's not the best but the Mazda Bose actually sounds better than on a 2015 BMW X5 which costs $75,000. XM radio sounds bad on all radios because of the streaming but put in Pandora or a quality CD and it sounds great. I really like the Bose system in my CX5. I don't know why so many people complain??

Moonroofs are nice to have and you can open them to vent out while driving at highway speeds without causing wind noise or wind buffering.

I've decided to get a 2016 FWD Touring in sonic silver, but trying to decide whether to opt up for the Bose Moonroof package or not.

We got the Touring with tech packages on both the CX-5 and Mazda6. It provides the best value imo not because of the sunroof or BOSE systems but rather the autoleveling clear lens Bi-Xenons/ or LED headights. Both are really good performers. The BOSE system used in Mazdas don't cost very much using rather cheap parts (paper elements, lightweight magnets, ect). Its still better than a non- BOSE system but the premium it charges is outrageous. The Xenon/LEDs used on the other hand are of premium grade with rather expensive parts.

I really like the Bose system in my CX5. I don't know why so many people complain??
It's easy to understand. Have you ever seen a decent home audio system offers no tweeters and subwoofer, or a real woofer in a large speaker box? Even a cheap stereo system has tweeters! Car audio requires more power and better speaker setup for worse listening environment. The Bose system in our CX-5 has no tweeters for high notes, and has no subwoofer to enhance bass. Further, the intended woofers sitting in the front doors wired to the front speaker group and controlled by fader which acting as a front directional mid-range speakers and hence sacrificing non-directional bass sound! 9 mostly mid-range speakers with surround sound system may be good for talk shows or watching movies, but not good for music from any source! The design of speaker setup is totally wrong for a "premium" car audio system.

We got the Touring with tech packages on both the CX-5 and Mazda6. It provides the best value imo not because of the sunroof or BOSE systems but rather the autoleveling clear lens Bi-Xenons/ or LED headights. Both are really good performers. The BOSE system used in Mazdas don't cost very much using rather cheap parts (paper elements, lightweight magnets, ect). Its still better than a non- BOSE system but the premium it charges is outrageous. The Xenon/LEDs used on the other hand are of premium grade with rather expensive parts.
Yes, totally agree! Bose system, if you tear apart and see the insides, really looks cheap and made by cheap materials as you mentioned! It's not worth the money you paid for Bose as an option. On the other hand, the LED light system and AFS feel premium grade with expensive parts (tubing LEDs on DRLs and tail lights instead of dot LED arrays used by most car manufactures), which makes you feel it really worth the money you paid!

Back