Should I buy this Protege5?

hehe, over 1/2 that crap is standard on the P5... rear spoiler (rlaugh)
the only things on there that would affect the base price are:

5 Speed Manual
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Moon Roof

and the manual tranny should actually lower the price!
not enough to compensate for the other 3 though...

huh, s***...edmunds is saying their "True Market Value"/dealear-retail price is $15,632...

ABS + leather must have been really expensive upgrades. s****!

You need to check the dealership and make sure the car has side airbags, if it doesn't then there is no ABS. It was offered only as a package deal. And check on that CD player too.

ok so the dealer (it's a toyota dealer and he admitted that he doesn't know too much about mazdas) says that is HAS the 6-cd in dash cd player, but it does NOT have side airbags. but i asked him again about the ABS and he said it DOES have ABS.

there's no other way it could have ABS? or maybe he can clearly see that it says ABS but it's not as clear to him how to find out where side airbags are indicated? (it says it on the side of the seats if i remember correctly...right?)

6-cd and sunroof was a package together.

abs and side airbags was another package.

Unless it's a canadian p5, which I believe had abs standard?

i'll double check with him about the side airbags - but i'll take the collective word of the forum over a toyota dealer trying to sell a trade-in! ;) i honestly think that he's just confused about the side airbags. i was very explicit when i told him i wanted ABS so he can't be messing that up.

the VIN said it originated in PA and the dealer said the couple who purchased it moved from PA to WA, then traded the car in when they arrived.

it still seems that this is a good deal to me, (despite mogi's amazing deal!) and i'm very seriously considering the purchase...maybe i can get him down a bit more to offset the shipping price?

yeah, I got a damn good deal on mine, I will admit
I'd definitely try and talk him down though, all dealers can be talked down if done properly!

Remember, it is a Toyota dealer, he probably doesn't want a Mazda sitting on his lot. I got my first protege from a ford dealer who was itching to get it off his hands...

worker_robot said:
thing is, what do i really have to go on if he's already selling it $1k under kelley blue book?

Kelly is BS. They are in bed with the auto industry so the prices they give are inflated. If you look at edmunds its probably a bit lower. For the car that I have Kelley says retail is 12,655. Edmunds lists it at 11,509. You also need to take into consideration that they probably paid some schmo $8k for it on a trade.

worker_robot said:
thing is, what do i really have to go on if he's already selling it $1k under kelley blue book?

Tell the dude you really wanted side airbags but you'll settle for another 1k off.

Back