Should I buy this Protege5?

Happy? Or thrilled? I mean, c'mon... I'm THRILLED with my '02 with ABS!!!

Just kidding! Let's face it, these are fun, unique cars, and a blast to throw in a corner. I think the auto-stick is kinda cool, wish I had it on mine instead of the standard 4-speed auto, although I agree a 5-speed is most fun to drive.

As for ABS... a good feature for some, not for others. Sometimes it's fun to lock up the rear and swing the ass-end around to do a 180...

Katya4me said:
ABS wasn't standard on any of the P5s, it came w/ the safety package which included side airbags. I don't have ABS and it doesn't bother me, but I've also never had it on any of my previous cars. At the time that I bought it, I wanted Laser Blue, moonroof and manual, I didn't need anything else and almost 2 years later, I'm still very happy w/ the car.

so i should pass on this...f! i guess i really want a stick and the ABS thing is now a factor...so i will try and keep searching...damnit!

well you guys are almost right.....abs was an option for the USA.......us guys up here in Canada....it was standard equip.

man if ur happy with the automatic....den dont let abs make up ur mind....ahh nevermind.....u should go with ur gut ..

if you really want a manual, get a manual. ABS is worth more to me as an insurance discount than a "car saver" in the snow. ABS is not better than a decent pair of snow tires.

I think it's a decent deal. It's a 2002.5 from your description, which has a few revised areas compared to the 2002. If he's not in a hurry to sell, then you gotta let him know you're not in a hurry to buy. Offer him 1000 less on the grounds that you really wanted a manual and ABS. Then while he sits on that for a couple weeks, search for your manual and ABS equipped p5. This way, either way you win.

The only time ABS works is if you mess up anyway.

You sure you want a P5 to begin with?

oh man, i'm getting questioned cause i want ABS? heheh, jk - i do want a P5, i've really like the styling and i'm hoping i can do some cool stuff to it with the money i can save on buying one of these used.

Lord Zath - that's a great suggestion and I think I'll end up doing that! Thanks.

so, still following lord zath's advice - i told the guy who's selling his 2002 protege5 (automanual, 21k miles) that i wanted to find a manual with ABS + moonroof and i'd get back to him if i changed my mind.

he emails me yesterday and says he wants to sell it soon and has reduced the price to $10,900.

now, a friend of mine told me about aftermarket steering wheels that have shifter pedals built into them (like F1 cars, the new audi a3, etc)...has anyone on this forum successfully installed an aftermarket steering wheel with shifter pedals on their automanual/tiptronic pr5?!?

cause i'm thinking that this might be a good deal and i could just mod the steering wheel if people have done it...

i right know have no knowledge of what im about to say but

i would think if you did that you would just tear your s*** up the automatic trans sux dick in the first place

shifting it like that all the time i wouldnt think is good

Glad to hear it worked. I would steer clear of the steering wheel mod. I can see how it can be done, but honestly I do somewhat agree w/skinny - you shouldn't be using the shifter all the time anyways. Though I think the tranny can handle shifting - mine certainly can!

If you're serious about the steering wheel idea, you might want to look into the RX-8 steering wheel, as I believe it has the shifters on it.

so for the auto-manual thing, one really shouldn't be using the shifter that often?

hmm...good thoughts though guys, thanks again. maybe i'll expand my search a bit. might need to do a road trip to get the perfect car!

definitely hunt around for the car you want!
I didn't and regret not getting a manual, and wouldn't have minded the ABS as well (flat spotted almost brand new tires because of a bad female driver!)

remember, you are spending a lot of money on this, it isn't an investment, but an expense.
you will also have to get in this thing to drive every time you want to go somewhere, you don't want to be disappointed every time you open that door.

great advice mogi - and i think you're right. it's just disheartening cause it seems like i've searched all the places online and haven't found anything around here.

what are the obvious sites to check out for good used car listings?

autotrader
cars.com
vehix.com
cars.yahoo.com
carsdirect.com

there are lot of them out there that use the autotrader database...but tend to get slightly different results, which is weird...

it took me 5 months to find mine. and i looked at all those places but also called a s*** load of dealers in my area, eventually i had to drive 5 hrs to atlanta to get it, but im glad i did cuz i got every option i wanted

blue or black
sunroof
5 speed
02.5 or newer
decent miles and price

so figure out what all you want and dont seltle for less, takes time but im going ot have my car for many years and woudlnt want to "regret" somthing

5 months? damn yo, that's a patient man! awesome.

so i've since broadened my search to the national scene...and found a 2003 PR5 in washington state that fits my criteria exactly.

i would have to have it shipped to boston...and the dealer is saying that should be around $900...but this seems to be a good deal.

kelley blue book for this is $15,205.

what do you guys think of that? thanks for reading this and assuaging my fears a bit!

15k is a little high priced for my neck of the woods, but it might be right for your market...

I paid just under 10k for my '02 w/ 30k miles, no leather/abs/sunroof/etc

I paid $14,400 new, but if you are happy w/ that price, go for it. did you decide you can live without ABS? Also, make sure that is the 6 CD in dash player.

this is the car breakdown the dealer sent me:

"2003 Mazda Protoge5 Hatchback 4D
VIN: JM1BJ245631113036
4-Cyl. 2.0 Liter
5 Speed Manual
FWD
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Compact Disc
Dual Front Air Baga
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Moon Roof
Rear Spoiler
Premium Wheels"

katya4me - you paid 14,400 new with what options? thanks guys!

This was my car new:

2003 Mazda Protoge5 Hatchback 4D
4-Cyl. 2.0 Liter
5 Speed Manual
FWD- Standard
Air Conditioning- Standard
Power Steering- Standard
Power Windows- Standard
Power Door Locks- Standard
Tilt Wheel - Standard
Cruise Control- Standard
Dual Front Air Bag- Standard
Rear Spoiler- Standard
AM/FM Stereo w/ 6 CD In dash- Option
Moon Roof- Option
Premium Wheels- If that's what they call the stock unpolished wheels that appear in the pics that you linked.

I didn't have ABS or leather. If the car has ABS, then it has to have side airbags, which I don't see listed on your list. I don't like leather myself, too slippery and hot in summer, cold in winter. But I know people who have it and love it in their P5s.

Latest posts

Back