Short shifter???

Fatdaddy

:
Protege
Ok, so I searched for threads on here for info on a better shifter for the MSP since I know how everyone on here is about that crap. I found that there are several short shifters made for the MSP, but by experience or majority vote, what is the best shifter available. I also want the stock shift knob to fit properly. One guy replaced his with a particular aftermarket one, but he had to use another knob. It was said that the MSP came stock with a short shifter, but if that's a short throw, I'd hate to see the one that's not! I have a Skunk2 short shifter in my Honda Civic, and it's awesome. But then when I get into my MSP, it feels like I'm driving a tractor or something! :D So what's the deal?

The throw length in the mazdaspeed shifter is the same as the stock protege. It's just shorter up top. Kartboy makes a short throw lever for the protege that fits the stock knob. I think they can cut it for the speed threading.

-Sp

StreetPreacher said:
There was a picture around here somwhere showing the two levers side by side. I can't find it....

Is this the pic you're referring too? Dude said it was a KWM?
dcp_0677.jpg

I have dealt with Tom@kartboy.com a couple of times, and have nothing but good to say about it. He's a cool guy. The shifter is awesome. I couldn't tell you if it is better or worse than any of the other brands, but i definately have no complaints. Add the bushings and you are golden. And the price is good. I read somewhere on here that if you have the MP3/MSP that you have to let them know so they give the correct threads for the stock shifter.

I took the picture, and it's a TWM shifter. I've had it for a while now and have no complaints. I recommend getting the Kartboy bushings regardless of which shifter you end up buying.

Here's a pic of a comparison of the aftermarket shifters with a stock P5 shifter. It gives you a good idea of what to expect with each. Just remember that that's the first gen TWM shifter, and the pic above is the second gen (the blue one).

ss.jpg

Thanks guys for all the info so far.

I noticed the threaded section of the shaft, say on the TWM, is much longer than the rest. Will the stock shift boot still meet the bottom of the knob, or will there be a gap. That shifter just looks like it will be taller inside the car.

BTW, I have an '03.5 MSP.

i've got the twm shifter and kartboy bushings on my 03.5 P5.. i love the setup. the twm is a ball-bearing shifter..

Fatdaddy said:
Thanks guys for all the info so far.

I noticed the threaded section of the shaft, say on the TWM, is much longer than the rest. Will the stock shift boot still meet the bottom of the knob, or will there be a gap. That shifter just looks like it will be taller inside the car.

BTW, I have an '03.5 MSP.

The shift knob of the 2003 MSP won't fit with the TWM shifter - UNLESS you use it as a universal. The threads are at the top of the inside of the knob, so the shift knob doesn't even meet the threads of the TWM. I use an aftermarket one, so I never worried about it.

I've got the Kartboy and I like it.

It took some work to make my stock knob fit, but it does now. . . but the shifter I bought had the wrong threads, so hopefully if you talk to Kartboy you won't have to mod it like I did, doh!

I just wanted to let you guys know that we do actually have a specific part number for the MP3 and MSP. Part # MP30103SN will fit the MSP with the Sparco knob. The picture posted of our second gen shifter is the P5 part which has a different thread pattern and shorter shaft above the "shoulder" that holds up the shift boot.

Hope this helps... :)

Karel
TWM Performance

TWM Performance said:
I just wanted to let you guys know that we do actually have a specific part number for the MP3 and MSP. Part # MP30103SN will fit the MSP with the Sparco knob. The picture posted of our second gen shifter is the P5 part which has a different thread pattern and shorter shaft above the "shoulder" that holds up the shift boot.

Hope this helps... :)

Karel
TWM Performance

That's great news man. The only question left then is: Does the MSP Sparco knob from the 03's have the same threads and size as that of the 03.5 MSP. The 03.5 doesn't have a Sparco knob, it's labeled Mazdaspeed.

Do you have a link where I can price or purchase the part when the time comes?

-Trace

Fatdaddy said:
[

Close, but the one I was thinking of had the Mazdaspeed stock lever next to a regular protege lever. You could see that the length beneath the ball was identical and only the upper portion was shorter.

-Sp

Fatdaddy said:
That's great news man. The only question left then is: Does the MSP Sparco knob from the 03's have the same threads and size as that of the 03.5 MSP. The 03.5 doesn't have a Sparco knob, it's labeled Mazdaspeed.

Do you have a link where I can price or purchase the part when the time comes?

-Trace

I know this is kind of an older thread but for what it's worth, when Steph "stole" :D my 03.5 shift knob at the sunday meet a couple of weeks ago it fit her 03 MSP, so I guess yeah the 03 and 03.5 knobs have the same thread.

Back