Short Shifter Comparison image

P5ive

Here's a side by side (maybe not terribly accurate) view of some currently available SS for the MP5. I did this to get an idea of the differences in height between the stock and aftermarket levers. Kartboy appears to be the smallest with B&M being the tallest.

SS.jpg

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,608
Last edited:
good line up, but remember, it's the area below the Shift point (the ball)that shortens the shift/throw. In this case the longer it is below that ball, the shorter the shift will be. You could have a shifter that barely sticks out of your center console, but if that area below the shift point isn't lenthened, then your shifts will be just as long.

ATLskate said:
but remember, it's the area below the Shift point (the ball)that shortens the shift/throw.

Actually it's the area below AND the area above the pivot that affects the lenght of the shift throw. Simple geometry. The end of the shifter travels through an arc of say 30 degrees between the 1st and 2nd gear shift. Distance traveled through that arc depends on the radius of the arc. Shorten the radius and the distance traveled through the arc is shortened also. Cut the shifter in half, cut the throw in half. It works on both ends. Lenghten the bottom AND shorten the top to get maximum benefit.

It's most noticable when the bottom on a shifter is modified as the original radius is alot shorter to begin with.

Last edited:
Why do you have so many shifters? Wanna hook me up with the Kartboy?

Thanks for the pic it makes it clearer when comparing the different options available. You should throw the mp3 and MSP shifters in there too.

Hi all,
I got the TWM a few weeks after I bought my P5 (July 2002)... best bet for the buck according to me. For the price, can't go wrong.

enjoy,

--McDave

I'm thinking TWM and kartboy bushings myself. I find that after driving awhile my elbow feels "tired". I think the shifter sits a tad closer than what I'm used too. I'm hoping a shorter throw and lessened height may help alleviate my elbow ache.

I guess this is one of the times its good to have the shortest stick:rolleyes:

its bad juju to keep your hand on the shifter while driving.

happy shifting

I don't think one is any better than the other. All 3 of them are basically just machined aluminum with different prices. Now a few will sit lower than the others, and one may have .5'' shorter shift, but noone has complained about the shifter they have. Personally I'm going to get mine from Tom @ Kartboy mainly because he donates to this board, and seems like a down to earth guy.

Edit: My grammar sucks this early in the morning...

Kartboy is the best! I still want to know why I am getting this howl/whistle after installing though. Tom, any ideas? :confused:

azeli73 said:
Kartboy is the best! I still want to know why I am getting this howl/whistle after installing though. Tom, any ideas? :confused:

The whistle's got WOO, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

:D (woowoo)

Where can i get the Kartboy shifter for the Pro5 in Canada? Or any reseller that will ship to Canada?

All the resellers listed on the kartboy's website seems only to carry the shifters for Subarus/

I like that kartboy frequents this board. However I like the TWM one because of the spacers and the look eventhough the boot will cover it. I have purchased two sets of the bushings through kartboy one set for my MP3 and I just recived my set for my MSP.

The bushings are a must buy but I think the TWM one is a shorter throw and the inner-bushings on the gen 2 are nice features.

The B&M is made of solid machined stainless steel, this is why I prefered it over any other (I live in the North, lots of road salt...)

Latest posts

Back