shifting

jaymode

I was wonderin in normal day to day driving, not spirited driving what rpm's you guys shift at?

Right now I usually shift around 3k rpms and skip gears because I am not past break-in yet( I know I have had my car for a month and only 400 miles).

I shift from 2k to 3k, but..

I remeber reading somewhere the actual manufacturer shift point's, plus I dont feel like going threw all that s*** right now to look for the book.

400 miles in a month? I've had my MSP for two weeks, and just hit 900 miles, and I don't really think I've driven all that much.

When cruising, I shift near the recommended shift points in the manual...

1st @ 0-14 MPH
2nd @ 15-24 MPH
3rd @ 25-39 MPH
4th @ 40-44 MPH
5th @ 45 MPH+

Those shift points keep you pretty low with the RPMs, and it's perfect for the break-in period.

yea I know the turbo kicks in pretty quick cuz I can feel it and sometimes even when shifting at 3000 rpm in first, I can hear the bpv.

i learned on this car too, whew, an experience for sure...i usually shift at 3k, just so i can keep up with the other cars in accelerating from traffic light to traffic light.

i learned on my P5 and now i think i'm a race car driver.. haha.

Guys read your manual reguarding break in. Don't skip gears because your in break in. You should drive your car as you normally would. There are only a few things you shouldn't do. Just take a quick look at your manual. :)

jaymode said:
I was wonderin in normal day to day driving, not spirited driving what rpm's you guys shift at?
Let me see...What RPM does the redline start?? :)
Honestly, I drive my car pretty hard. I usually wind out every gear, racing or not. I've got a JIC exhaust, and I just love hearing the combination of that and my CAI. It's too addicting to shift before the turbo spools. I'm over 15,600 miles and I still get excited every time I drive(burnout)

Skipping gears isn't necessarily bad for the tranny. I think that he meant that you need to use in all the gears during the break-in period to... well... break them in. I don't know about the rest of you, but my tranny whines like it has straight-cut gears. Anyone else feel that way?

I drive my car pretty hard too. I only have a 5 mile drive to and from work so I have to make the most of it. Pretty much every trip I accelerate from 0-45 about as quickly as possible at least once. On average I'd say I shift at about 3000-3500 though on normal driving shifts.

3500 to 4k is where I shift during normal driving. I'm very anti "bogging", or "loading" down the engine and driveline. I just think it's too hard on the motor and drive line to be trying to move the car in the lower portion of the rpm range. In my not so humble opinion, you are really doing your engine a disservice by trying to make it work too hard. There is just too little torque down low to be driving like a grandma all the time.

Loading the engine by shifting too soon/trying to accelerate in too high a gear is very hard on the engine and driveline components. I shift at 2-3000 from 1st to 2nd, then at 3-4000 in the others. Never accelerate in 5th gear at any speed below 45MPH.

Re: Re: shifting

2K3 Mazdaspeed said:
Let me see...What RPM does the redline start?? :)
Honestly, I drive my car pretty hard. I usually wind out every gear, racing or not. I've got a JIC exhaust, and I just love hearing the combination of that and my CAI. It's too addicting to shift before the turbo spools. I'm over 15,600 miles and I still get excited every time I drive(burnout)

Im with 2k3, I bought a "high-performance" car because i wanna go fast. I didnt buy an orange car to drive around like a grandpa.... I take care of my baby and Arla simply loves to be rev'd real high :D

Well yea I stopped skipping gears cuz I guess that does put a lot of load on the engine. Another question, today when I was driving the engine was stalling real easy. I have gotten a lot better at driving stick and just did not feel like the engine was all there. It seems like it stalled alot easier, would heatsoak cause this? Because it was really hot out and I stalled after driving for a while.

Some people have experienced stalling issues when idling. If it continues, take it to the dealer and complain.

Back