shifting without clutch

nocar

PS!
Potential Scammer!
so ive been really lazy this past week and ive been driving only using my clutch from nuetral to first gear to get the car going, besides that im on the highway, in traffic, taking twisties, dowshifting etc not using my clutch to change gears lol. Just as long as there are no grinds im ok right? lol

If you do it right you'll be fine. Actually if you do it right you will not only save wear & tear on the clutch but the synchros as well (because you have to match revs to slip it in gear without the clutch)

the thing i like about this is downshifting, it is so much faster and smoother if you do it right

funny story..w/ my civic my clutch cable broke, so on the way to the parts store, and other places until the part came in, i was driving w/ out a clutch at all..that's an odd thing to be doing. come to a light, turn the car off, put it in first, start the car, and it goes. matching revs to shift..what a hellish week i had to deal with that.

i was driving w/ out a clutch at all..that's an odd thing to be doing. come to a light, turn the car off, put it in first, start the car, and it goes. matching revs to shift
i have done the same thing you yust look like an idiot when you take off bucking lol

bpoche said:
i have done the same thing you yust look like an idiot when you take off bucking lol
pretty much..definatly people are prolly thinking "MAN, that dude/dudette needs to learn how to drive his damn car." embarrassing....

I had a Volvo 242 (long time ago, might be wrong number) once upon a time, the clutch cable broke on me one day going to work and I was able to make it work. Starts were interesting, I put the tranny in second and started the engine, just had to judge the distance to the car in front and she chugged along.

My grandpa used to be an engineer for GM and when I got my car he was telling me that on his old MG and any car he test drove for GM he was able to match RPM's and shift without clutch.

Is that all it takes is pull it out at like 2500 rpm and put it to the next gear at 2500 rpm? Or is there more?

you have to match the next gear like you rev 1st too.... i don't know 1st to second lol well lets go 2nd up to 3500 RPM's and then slip it out of 2nd and match the RPM's to 2500 and slip it into 3rd within the time the engine stays at that speed

i can start in nuetral and go through all 5 gears and back down again. basically when you are upshifting what you do is take it out of gear and put it up against the next gear with a little bit of pressure, it will then go in when its ready. This is what i usually do for daily driving. As for downshifting lets say for example your in 4th gear and you want to go into 3rd. You need to rev match to get it into 3rd. Give it some gas and when its at the right rpm it will go in. If you get good at it you can take itout of 4th hit the gas to the exact rpm put it in 4rd and floor it all at the same time. It is faster than rev matching with the clutch etc. I usually do this when i am going through twisties and downshift at the very last second. I wouldnt recommend doing it if you cant rev match your car just by feel and sound. Flooring it and slamming it into 3rd at the wrong rpm with no clutch would probably sound pretty nasty and maybe break something? fun stuff i dont think imgonna keep doing it anymore though because i do sometimes hit a grind every now and then. cant prefect it totally and i cant afford to fix something like that if it breaks right now.

mazda3 clutch question

hey guys,
my wife just bought a 2005 mazda3 5 speed brand new. now after less than 2 years and only 28k, the clutch is slipping. if left parked on a slight incline on the driveway in gear, the car will begin to roll away!?!?!?! anyone hear of clutch problems after such a short time?

at work i drive a ford f-750 truck with a six speed and we have been having problems with the clutch. While the truck was in for a new clutch i was talking to the mechanic about shifting without the clutch because we do this all day everyday, on this truck the synchros are made of a material such as asbestos. He said that when you shift without the clutch that you are overheating the synchros, he said that the synchros are basicall dying for clutch. I asuume this is because of the extra torque and speed put on them. He also said that these synchros are easily worn, I told him that i do this everyday and he said that it would be ok if it were to just slide in gear and you are not holding it on the synchro to slow the gear down. So if it just glides into gear without using the synchro you are ok.

Back