Shift Spring?

:
2011 Mazda 2 GS
Hey guys,

Driving home tonight, as I'm coming to a stop pop my car out of gear, and I feel a vibration in my hand and head a high-pitched "ping". Now the knob isn't anywhere near as "snappy" returning to center. It still re-centers, but doesn't do so with as much gusto, and probably takes about twice as long as it used it (not that it takes that long anyways).

Essentially, my question is, is there a spring in there somewhere that's easy to access? I'd take a look right now, but it's quite dark out and I'm at my gfs. My assumption is that the trim piece pulls off and I'll be able to see what the culprit is. Hopefully it's an easy fix, or covered under warranty, but it doesn't really affect driveability so I'm not too worried.

Hey guys,

Driving home tonight, as I'm coming to a stop pop my car out of gear, and I feel a vibration in my hand and head a high-pitched "ping". Now the knob isn't anywhere near as "snappy" returning to center. It still re-centers, but doesn't do so with as much gusto, and probably takes about twice as long as it used it (not that it takes that long anyways).

Essentially, my question is, is there a spring in there somewhere that's easy to access? I'd take a look right now, but it's quite dark out and I'm at my gfs. My assumption is that the trim piece pulls off and I'll be able to see what the culprit is. Hopefully it's an easy fix, or covered under warranty, but it doesn't really affect driveability so I'm not too worried.

I'd say it's safe to assume that there is some kind of spring in there for neutral return. However, I think because it's cable driven, it might be a little more complicated, maybe its by the Ballast on top of the transmission instead of under the actual shifter rod inside the car. Just spit balling here.

When you pull the plastic around the shifter up, you can see the spring right to the left of the shifter for the side to side motion. The front to back feel is done completely by the internals of the tranny, there is no centering spring for that.

Also check where the cable "snap" into the shift tower in the car. We have had one of the retainer which holds the cable in black break off while racing. The fix was was, a really big zip tie to loop around the cables to hold them tight to the tower.

-Derrick

I pull straight up. You can get a bit of a hand hold on it by pulling up through the boot on the inside.

Derrick

Well, can confirm it was a spring that let go. Well, half of it atleast.

m0bcfHY.jpg

Looks fine, but why is that thing pointy?
q6tEjJ4.jpg

The rest is that line/stick down near the bottom-middle.
fNf4Vs6.jpg

What are the chances this is covered under warranty? (dunno) I wasn't even driving hard, and was moving my hand super slow.

Wow.

I dont see why they wouldn't replace it, everything else around it is in great shape.

-Derrick

That is odd. I have never seen those break on a car before not just a M2. It is a pretty standard design. Should be replaced under warranty no problem.

Nor have I, which is why I'm just chalking it up to defective part. I'll get it looked at soon as I get the car back from the body shop, but in the meantime it drove like my FC (sluggish self-center).

Back