seventystangfan's '02 Midnight Blue P5 Build/Progress

definitely not the orange IMO

black trim is always great. What about making the accents that go from under the fog light to the edge of the front wheel well black too?

edit:...swap rims with the mazda 3 ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, if I had orange on it I'd probably move toward a graphics package. I like the idea you mention, and it would look killer if I got a lower/wider front lip and lowered suspension ;) But there are a few things that need painted on my car. Would black still look good against the Mica blue currently on my car? Like a black hood, spoiler, mirrors, and door handles (and lip)? There's some hood damage I'd love to not have...

I recommend plasti dipping first if you are really serious about it. It will give you a great preview, and if you don't like it just peel it off!

I don't like the orange either but I like the blue... looks like ford grabber blue.. I'de completely delete the fender/door panel bumpers/guards you marked up in black... and go with body colour for door handles and rockers/body kit.

I kinda like the orange and blue. It reminds me of the older Porsche racers. But you would probably need a graphics kit to give it a racer look. ha Give it a good striping job and you'll be set! But definitely plastidip it to make sure it works out for ya.

You're gonna have to let me know how replacing the rack goes. Something broke inside mine so it doesn't return to center on it's own after the car's been on the lift in the campus lab or jacked up in the front. And my steering wheel centers in odd places, depending on the aforementioned lifting. It slowly started migrating to the left, had an alignment/centering a couple months ago, and now it's slowly moving right. When I looked under the car last, it looked like I was gonna have to remove the tranny to get to the steering rack. Plus it doesn't help that my shop wanted to charge over $800 in labor to replace the rack. So I'm debating whether or not I'm going to replace it period, or if I'm just gonna run with it.

Ah see I would do it with jacks, but if I can find the time I can just take it down to the campus auto lab, where they have lifts, transmission stands, and all different kinds of tools. It's a blessing and a curse, because I'm in there a lot and it gets embarrassing that I'm in there not really modding by repairing my car that much. But I need to do my motor mounts (or at least the inserts) so maybe I'll plan on doing that while I'm in doing that too. Gotta wait til next semester (unless my roommate can get me in over winter break when I won't have to worry about classes).

I'll definitely have to rethink doing that. It sounds like a big undertaking for a not-so-big reward, but then again your case is worse.

Yeah I honestly didn't think replacing the rack would be that hard, just getting everything separated and replaced in one day seems like a daunting task.
And the window weld thing I had heard about and was planning on doing, but bpt323 told me to use plumber's epoxy (still haven't looked for it). I gotta figure out when to do that too, especially since they don't like it if cars are left in the lab overnight during projects (need approval from a big scary man - okay, not scary, but still somewhat intimidating).

I did a fair amount of research when I was eyeing the Mazda6 wheels, I'd go with 215/40 personally ;)

Picked up a set of MSP wheels but just got new tires for my stockies :(

I wish the fogs weren't destroyed on that red P5, you should go back and snag the harness for the fog lights behind the front bumper if it isn't damaged.

Well guys, my Protege is gone. She was the best car I had so far. But I traded her away. I've given up mileage and doors, but I've gained four cylinders and my favorite car.
The damage is the reason I was able to get it. Its all cosmetic, with the only functionality affected being the headlight.

IMG_20140128_152637.jpg

IMG_20140128_152719.jpg

Believe me, I'll own another Mazda. And I'll be lingering around the forums. The girlfriend does have an '06 Mazda3

Nice.. The damage doesn't look too bad. I'm not likely to buy another 'new' Mazda unless they bring back the RX-7 myself...

Back