serious weird noises....heeeelllppp meee....

emi

:
MP3 258/1500 [blue]
hey everyone, i'm back hah.

i searched around a little and couldn't really find what i was looking for...

my mp3 is creaking like you wouldn't believe, and the suspension feels really hard. every little bump is met with the most ridiculous and annoying squeaky sound. it's definitely different than the sway bar clunk. i'm really hoping this isn't going to be an expensive fix, but the car has 97k miles now and i just don't want to dump anymore money into it right now. i also don't wanna do any damage by not addressing the problem.

also...sometimes when i start in first i hear all this clanking and nasty noises. please don't tell me my clutch is going...

any suggestions?

thanks guys, get back to me ASAP.

emmmmiiiii

Possibly struts, have you ever replaced them? As for the first gear issue you might have to describe what a "nasty noise" is, I might try to speculate a motor mount, but unsure. Anyone else?

I thought struts as well.. The transmission noise I'm drawing a blank.

I had a sound like a creaky old mattress that was solved with re-greasing my bushings on the trailing arms. Could be other bushings tho...

97K miles is up there for sure, so many things can play here. Hard to diagnose without actually driving the car. If struts were never replaced then I'm sure that's it. I agree, hard to see on the first gear issue.

clauren suggested it was probably bushings....says he's been having the same problem. anyway, the reason i'm asking is cuz i'm probably going to sell the car to my sister and get a miater :) i don't want her to have a lot of trouble with it.

Would the clutch issue constitute as "chatter"? Does it happen every time or only say "in the morning" or "when its cold out"? My P5 has periodic chatter in the clutch but it goes away after driving for a while and its only really noticeable on cold mornings. A more tell-tail sign that your clutch is going is when it starts slipping or making horrific sounds.

A quick test would be to get up to top speed in 2nd gear, clutch-in, shift, now with the revs still close to red-line, clutch-out real fast. A good clutch will drop with a "bang" and the RPMs will instantly go down to a more appropriate speed for the gear while you are launched forward by the torque of the engine. A worn clutch may take a split second to do so but it will grab and hold giving you at least some feeling of torque. A bad clutch will allow the engine to take its sweet time dropping RPMs and may never completely catch tossing all your torque out the window.

i dont know, i'll try that trick tho. it makes a really shuddery clanky sound when i shift out of first at low rpms. it sounds almost like when you're about to stall, and it's not a grinding noise, but a lot more...metal-clanking-against-metal sounding. it only does it occasionally but lately it's a lot more frequent, and i don't think the weather has anything to do with it. i'll try that this afternoon when i get out of work.

i have a little over 70k on the msp and it sounds like it might be similar to a sound i was hearing. rather than investigate i just removed the rear swaybar entirely, and i decided it was worn out end links.
i will likely get new ones and throw the bar back in once i get new struts.

clauren suggested it was probably bushings....says he's been having the same problem. anyway, the reason i'm asking is cuz i'm probably going to sell the car to my sister and get a miater :) i don't want her to have a lot of trouble with it.

My name is sean, and I fully support this miata decision.

Side note: 96 m-editions are awesome. that is all.

i found a 2000 with 60k for $10.5k. i'm pretty sure i can talk them down to at least 9.5

nice.. well if you end up getting one, look for my 96m buzzing around UConn (particularly near the north garage) when you are back on campus :)

Make sure you find one with the aero pack.. pure sex.

john.jpg

I know of a nice 2002 SE in grey with saddle brown leather with 20,XXX miles on it for sale for $15,200. I know, way higher than the one you're looking at, but it's really sweet. I haven't seen it listed on cars.com or autotrader, and I haven't driven it, but it looks really well kept. It's in Norfolk, MA.

Sean- my friend has that car but with the base black cloth interior, and no wing on the back. Looks super sweet when it's clean.

the real solution here is to buy my msp

you get to drive the MSP and you can take the stock MSP suspension (all stock parts come with it) with like 20k miles and put it on the mp3.

ta daaaa

+1 on the bushings.

Can you post a video clip of the car making the noise?

Back