Selling my Mazdaspeed

The fact that the car has a turbo should not affect the insurance price. What WILL affect it more is the fact that it is a four door, which should be lower than coupes.
Here's an example:
I was driving a '93 Civic EX coupe. This car with full coverage was $376 per month(keep in mind my driving record, minus the accident)
Brand new 2003 MSP: Listed as a Mazdaspeed(not just a protege) 163 a month. I wrecked it, and the policy didn't change. A year later it only went up $14. Now its $187...
I don't know when the last time you checked prices was, but keep looking. It's not fun, but you will eventually find one. You will lose more money than you think trying to trade it in, or selling it.

Turboluver said:
you need at least liability in new jersey for any car, and full coverage if you are financing it. its the law
Yeah, it's that's the law here too but it doesn't matter if you don't get pulled over - and even then it'd just be a fine and you're on your way. There's no other way they can inforce it. On top of that the insurance companies don't WANT it inforced because then they can sell most people uninsured motorist insurance.;)

I dont think you guys understand as far as the insurance thing goes. I have definately done my shopping. New jersey is no joke when it comes to insurance, location makes a big difference as does if the car is turbo or not. I live in central jersey, near newark, and am a 21 year old guy. The two best insurers in new jersey are nj manufactures (which you cant get unless you work for certain companies) and state farm. I had state farm originally, be4 i got the msp. They quoted me 1500 a year be 4 i bought it. s***, an s2000 quote from them was only 2500 a year for me. However, 2 weeks be4 i bought my car, they dropped me. State farm randomly drops customers in nj, because they were originally planning to leave the state. The state did not want to allow them to leave, so as a result, many customers were dropped unfairly at random. Many insurerers wont even insure in nj. Ever heard of Geico, well they dont sell in nj at all. alot of faulty insurance claims are made here and that drives up insurance rates.

girth said:
Yeah, it's that's the law here too but it doesn't matter if you don't get pulled over - and even then it'd just be a fine and you're on your way. There's no other way they can inforce it. On top of that the insurance companies don't WANT it inforced because then they can sell most people uninsured motorist insurance.;)
In Cali, they will tow your car on the spot if you don't have insurance. If you do decide to go that way, here's what my friend does. Pay a company a down payment(roughly $500). They will send you an insurance card good for 6 months. Don't pay the bill, just cancel the coverage. If you get pulled over, you still have the insurance card. Cops don't run your insurance records, they just look to see if it's up to date.

Last edited:
Turboluver said:
I dont think you guys understand as far as the insurance thing goes. I have definately done my shopping. New jersey is no joke when it comes to insurance, location makes a big difference as does if the car is turbo or not. I live in central jersey, near newark, and am a 21 year old guy. The two best insurers in new jersey are nj manufactures (which you cant get unless you work for certain companies) and state farm. I had state farm originally, be4 i got the msp. They quoted me 1500 a year be 4 i bought it. s***, an s2000 quote from them was only 2500 a year for me. However, 2 weeks be4 i bought my car, they dropped me. State farm randomly drops customers in nj, because they were originally planning to leave the state. The state did not want to allow them to leave, so as a result, many customers were dropped unfairly at random. Many insurerers wont even insure in nj. Ever heard of Geico, well they dont sell in nj at all. alot of faulty insurance claims are made here and that drives up insurance rates.
nj manufacturers is the s***. but you need a clean record. certain job needed....which i have but have bad driving record, and also, you have to pay like 300 bucks just to apply for it even if you are denied.

I do appreciate the helpful tips, i really do, but when you live in one of the car theft capitals in the states, its too risky to not have insurance

Wow, I'm 17 and don't have to pay that much..full coverage is just over 3000 for me.

Don't go for a mainstream company. Use an agent. And it does make a difference. I was with a company called De Jong. they were an agent for Deerbrook Insurance(owned by Allstate). They quoted me $2,000 for 6 months.
I shopped around and ran into a company called Platinum 1 Insurance. They are also an agent for Deerbrook Insurance. The difference? About $800 less every 6 months, even though it all gets handled by Allstate.

I have an insurance agent. Palisades, and he is the one who got me hooked up with metlife which is the one that quoted me the lowest so far for my car, the damn 5,500!!

Are you under your parents insurance? With a clean record and no accidents the cheapest quote I got from 5 different insurance companies $6000 a year full coverage was the cheapest I could find. I'm under my dad's insurance right now and pay $1500 a year, and yeah in NJ I haven't seen a msp under 18 grand better chance selling for a higher value here unless if you wanna travel out of state to get one.

03MSP said:
Wow, I'm 17 and don't have to pay that much..full coverage is just over 3000 for me.

chrisjw85 said:
Are you under your parents insurance? With a clean record and no accidents the cheapest quote I got from 5 different insurance companies $6000 a year full coverage was the cheapest I could find. I'm under my dad's insurance right now and pay $1500 a year, and yeah in NJ I haven't seen a msp under 18 grand better chance selling for a higher value here unless if you wanna travel out of state to get one.
Actually, yes I am. I just thought about that after I posted.

Anyway, we use an independent agent who represents several companies, so we get pretty good deals on vehicle/house insurance.

no, im not under my parents insurance. my dad said i wanted a new car, so i pay the insurance under my name. well the couple i saw new at the dealership were still at msrp. they dont make black anymore, so u'll only get that color used. i personally dont think 18,000 is bad. everyone has thier own opinions so if u disagree than that is fine and i respect that. but im not making any1 buy the car either.my only choice is to hold out until i get an offer remotely close to what i need. thank you to everyone for thier comments anyway. they are appreciated

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but...

1) I was a licensed insurance agent, and my primary product was auto insurance. Trying to convince this guy to go without insurance on a financed vehicle in NJ is akin to pushing him off of a bridge. First off, NJ is notoriously one of the strictest states on insurance enforcement. Not only will his lender want to see proof of insurance lest he void his contract and they repo the car, but he'd also be fined and have his license revoked under an administrative suspension... not to mention if he were to get into an accident and be at fault.

2) Sorry, man, but people from Jersey will make the several-hour drive to nearby Maryland and Virginia where new 2003.5s are going for $16,000 to $16,500. You have been screwed by new-buyer-initial-depreciation. You'll have to come just at $16,000 or a little lower and eat the remainder. Actually, your situation is bad enough where you might want to consider a voluntary repossession. Last resort, of course.

guys gotta realize we aint next door to each other...the msp's are rare if u look on ebay they are sellin for more now too.....and i heard nj has the worst insurance anywhere i pay 2600 every 6 months....20yr old clean record :)

Nah Indiana really isn't that exciting. When it came to figuring out the APR i didn't get that far because I new that I wasn't going to get a great rating because I don't even have credit cards. My insurence is about 180 a month or so but I drive a s10 that is over a decade old. I'm sure the insurence for a new car would stomp my wallent like an elephant that just saw his first mouse.

Back