Seat covers

racerh

:
2003 Masdaspeed Protege
My son is in the Navy and I am helping him sell his 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege. He does not want to send his pretty nice car to Hawaii and get it all rusty.

His drivers seat bottom cover has started to come apart and I want to replace it, so I ordered a new one but

His seat does not have an airbag and the non airbag cover is no longer available. Mazda only sells the seat cover for the airbag seat. Does anyone now if there is any difference between the cover for airbag and non airbag seats. I have seen no evidence that airbag seats were even available on his car.

The online dealer was no help, they don't know if it will fit, and don't do returns on special orders

Thanks in advance for your help

The dealer is not looking at the correct seat covers, the Mazdaspeed was never offered with side airbags only the Protege ES and Protege5 models were. Ask them for the 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege seat covers with the yellow stitching, they should be able to get them.

This sounds like a nice MSP, the tear in the silver part of the seat is VERY common on MSPs, almost every single one you see is torn.

The dealer is not looking at the correct seat covers, the Mazdaspeed was never offered with side airbags only the Protege ES and Protege5 models were. Ask them for the 2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege seat covers with the yellow stitching, they should be able to get them.

This sounds like a nice MSP, the tear in the silver part of the seat is VERY common on MSPs, almost every single one you see is torn.

Yep that is what it has.

I ordered the part number for the MazdaSpeed Protege, there are 2 parts listed on the web with and without airbag. As I suspected the airbag was never offered, but only the airbag part number is available.
Sounds like I am out of luck.

This is from a random dealer they are all the same.

BL8D8816165 SEAT COVER LEFT $143.97 $112.30 Add to Cart
2001-03, W/O FT SEAT AIR BAG
10 BL8E8811165 SEAT COVER RIGHT $135.04 $105.33 Add to Cart
2001-03, W/FT SEAT AIR BAG
10 BL8E8816165 SEAT COVER LEFT $142.96 $111.51 Add to Cart
2001-03, W/FT SEAT AIR BAG

Anyone have anyway to confirm bl8e88 will substitute for bl8d88

Thanks

my guess is that they are identical, with the exception of the airbag seat having an "AirBag" tag on the side.

The air bag seat covers are made differently so they will split apart when the air bags pop. If they look the same then it won't make any difference but the MSP never came with or was offered with side air bags.

Based on the description you are looking at regular Protege ES/P5 seat covers as it says 01-03 and the MSPs were only made in 2003.

Back