Screen Protector for the Touchscreen interface

SirWanker

:
2008 mazda 3 GT <- now toast ; 2014 CX-5 GS Liquid Ag FWD
Just curious if anyone is aware of an aftermarket screen protector specific for the CX-5 touchscreen ( similar to the ones for smartphones)?

Thanks

Since it's just a rectangle, you could buy a plain sheet or one designed for a tablet and cut it down yourself.

I'm curious - why do you want to use a screen protector? Materials (like Gorilla Glass) have improved to the point with smartphones, for example, that you don't really need a protector like you did years ago. That, plus they way many fewer touches on the car vs the phone screen, make me think it's not really needed for the car. I'd be curious to hear how many other people are using protectors on their screens. And yes, I realize that the car screen is not Gorilla Glass....

My reason is I dislike the finger smudges left on the screen.
As for cutting a sheet designed for a tablet:
  • the Mazda touchscreen material is different ( at least it appears to me)
  • have no idea if the material can tolerate the temperature variances in the car and since the head unit is not inexpensive, I`m not interested in being the test mule for that reason

I'm curious - why do you want to use a screen protector? Materials (like Gorilla Glass) have improved to the point with smartphones, for example, that you don't really need a protector like you did years ago. That, plus they way many fewer touches on the car vs the phone screen, make me think it's not really needed for the car. I'd be curious to hear how many other people are using protectors on their screens. And yes, I realize that the car screen is not Gorilla Glass....

It is not a capacitive touch screen with a glass surface like smart phones. Nor is it made of glass.

The screen is an old fashion resistive touchscreen, which is a few layers of electric resistive films made of indium Tin Oxide that works via pressure, with a glass foundation surface. Though the touch surface is not subject to fine scratching as much as fragile glass, and is made of a matte plastic like surface, it is still prone to scratches and even more prone to gouging.

Since it is a resistive touchscreen that works with pressure touches. Practically any screen cover would do. I would order a non reflective screen cover for a small tablet and cut to size. Do not get a glossy finish as it will produce glare in direct sunlight.

Last edited:
... it is still prone to scratches and even more prone to gouging...

... I would order a non reflective screen cover for a small tablet and cut to size. Do not get a glossy finish as it will produce glare in direct sunlight.

This is what I did almost immediately. I tend to punch buttons with my fingernails, I know from past experience that repeated touching of the buttons and screen will damage them. A few bucks and a few minutes cutting a protector, and I'll be able to keep it pristine. It keeps the fingerprints at bay to some extent as well.

It is not a capacitives touch screen with a glass surface like smart phones. Nor is it made of glass.

The screen is an old fashion resistive touchscreen, which is a few layers of electric resistive films made of indium Tin Oxide that works via pressure, with a glass foundation surface. Though the touch surface is not subject to fine scratching as much as fragile glass, and is made of a matte plastic like surface, it is still prone to scratches and even more prone to gouging.

Since it is a resistive touchscreen that works with pressure touches. Practically any screen cover would do. I would order a non reflective screen cover for a small tablet and cut to size. Do not get a glossy finish as it will produce glare in direct sunlight.

Wow! What a detailed description. Thanks for the info!

Back