SCCA Auto-X Rules: Read This First, Then Ask Questions

Not being a member may hurt your case. In certain regions as in ours in order to earn a trophy at the end of the year you must be an SCCA Member. Thus if you're not, even if you beat him it may not matter ;)

Ryan

He never said he wasn't an SCCA Member, just not a member of that region (unless I'm mis-reading what he wrote). IE: I'm an atlanta region SCCA member, but I run a lot of events with the Alabama region.

Last edited:
Ok, so the question is, does the Teggy's winning keep you from earning a trophy?

If so, I would protest. If you've got nothing to gain other than bragging rights by getting him bumped, well, that's entirely up to you :)

Ryan

I would do what the others have suggested. Confront the guy first. Introduce yourself, talk about his car, ask about mods, then say "doesn't that bump you out of STS?"

A guy in our region started out in Novice this year in AS, when he clearly was STU and possibly even SM. Next event I noticed two of the chairs checking out his car and he ended up in SM because of a BOV (also had suspension mods). If you're polite and tactful in your delivery then you won't come off as a dick. If he turns into a dick about it, then you have to consider other options. If he's popular in the region, you could quickly make enemies in the region by protesting. All depends on the attitude there.

Personally if I knew someone in my class was "cheating", I knew it was giving them an advantage, and I knew I could beat them, I would protest immediately. Subtract out any of those reasons and I wouldn't bother. Like if someone with an MSP was running DS yet they had an aftermarket BOV (bump to SM) I wouldn't care even if they were beating me (unless I hated them, then I would protest :p )

I am an SCCA member but this guy doesn't run in my home region. The group he runs with is actually a NASA region that does a bunch of auto-x's. So I'm not eligible for year-end points but they give out trophies at each event.

I'll go introduce myself at the next event later this month and see how it goes from there. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

This really isn't a rule question, more of a safety question. I know the passenger compartment must not have anything in it that is not locked down. Would I be able to have my laptop in the passenger compartment, for data logging purposes, if I have it strapped down, say to the floor on the passenger side?

This really isn't a rule question, more of a safety question. I know the passenger compartment must not have anything in it that is not locked down. Would I be able to have my laptop in the passenger compartment, for data logging purposes, if I have it strapped down, say to the floor on the passenger side?

if it's secured, then I don't see why not. Try talking to your region's tech chief before hand for a more official answer though lol

ask your tech chief or safety steward. if it's *securely* mounted, i don't see any difference between that and a camera, but others may disagree.

just be prepared for some "nice laptop, brian spilner!" comments.

"DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!"

this thread made me rethink getting into auto-x because of what you just said, silly how a reflex diverter valve puts me in that class but rules are rules

There was supposed to be a rule change in the pipes for making non-OEM blow off valves legal in Street Prepared and possibly even Street Touring.

Actually .... in the October issue of FastTrack, page 46, reads:

3. Street Prepared: Per the SPAC, 15.10.C.4.e is clarified to read as follows:
“e) Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) are considered part of the air intake system, and may be added, replaced or updated/
backdated independently of the other components of a forced induction system.”

So, it's legal for street prepared.

so with my current setup i'll be up to some STIFF competition.
8.5 rims with 235
cobb ap
no exhaust modification
FMIC
and spark plugs step colder

of course i'm not worried about being competitive right now, i just want to go out and have fun

^^This bump reminds me...

Anyone know what class a MP3 with an added supercharger would run in? I am guessing SM or something crazy like that? I tried reading the classification rules posted by scca but could not figure out the category. I think STX allows turbo chargers on cars with 2.0 or less, but I assume that has to come stock on the car? I need to figure out which magnetic letter(s) I need to buy ;)

You're spot on. SM is for non-factory super/turbocharged vehicles. However, there is now SMF, Street Mod Front Wheel. Check it out.

You're spot on. SM is for non-factory super/turbocharged vehicles. However, there is now SMF, Street Mod Front Wheel. Check it out.

woot! Thanks for the fast response. First time I am hearing about SMF, might be interesting. Not like it matters though, there is pretty much no way for me to be competitive in either unless I am the only person in SMF, but then I would end up being grouped somewhere anyway. (popcorn)

PS. Can't wait for auto-x season to start up again. Only a couple more weeks!!

Back