RPM's dipping very low

damn so you have one of those light show gauges that doesnt tell you s***. i may be way off base, im just guessing its the ECU adding or taking fuel away.

Mine never does it when coming to a stop it does it on start up when car is already warm. Say if I go in a store and then restart car it will idle fine for two sec then drop to like 200rpm then up to a 1000rpm then back to 200rpm then settle at 750rpm. And yes do tell where screw is for adjusting idle.

my car is totally stock and it does the same thing too. So for those of you with mods on your cars, its most likely not the culprit, unless it makes it worse. Its random and of course, it idles perfectly at the dealers, so they don't see a problem. Starting the car (after being driven, so its not cold), it might do it right there in the parking spot, or after going reverse and pushing clutch pedal to shift to first, it dips somewhere around 500 or less. its very annoying cause you have to keep compensating for that dip by giving it more gas so you have a smooth takeoff. Anyway, its something with the car and not the upgrades. I'll take it in and ask to have the idle air control valve checked as mentioned here

LAZERBLU2003.5 said:
mine does it too, and it also does it when the engine is warm and I turn it off for a few minutes and when I turn the car on again it will rise to 1000 and then dip really low like on the verge of turning off like stumbling until you rev it a little then it goes away, could it be the plugs too??

What plugs are you running? ZFR7F? I'll try and get a pic of idle screw for you guys.

LAZERBLU2003.5 said:
i dunno whatever came stock

Probably is not the plugs then, but if you still have the same plugs that came with your car, you should probably take a look at them just in case.

BUMP...

Can anyone tell me where the idle air control valve is? Or better yet, does anyone have a pic? Still curious...

The adjustment screw for idle air control is on the throttle body. If you look from the passengers side of the engine you will see a phillips head screw on the lower left side of the throttle body (closest to the firewall) sunken in on an angle. There is a connector for a sensor right above it. Turn it counter clockwise for more air and clockwise for less. One full turn counter clockwise should do it, it did for me.

I think I fixed my stalling issue also. I have hardpipes, a new SMIC, and greddy type-RS. Originally I thought the issue was the Greddy type-RS so I decided to take off the type-RS, and my car still stalled, so I knew the new BOV was not the issue any longer, so I looked around on the forum, and found this post, I saw that other people were having my same problem, EVEN PEOPLE WITH STOCK SET UPS, some of the members suggested that the issue may be related to the MSP's idle speed, I just turned my idle up about 500 rpms or so (about a full turn counter clock wise, and I took the car out and tired everything that made the car stall before, AND GUESS WHAT.....NO STALLING!!!!! I talked this over with Cullen's (**********.com) Mazda tech and he said that what I did was adjusted the cars PCM, I turned the idle screw in the throttle body to the left, and I physicaly heared the engine idle RPMs increase, and I check my tach and the rpms certaily increased. The Mazda tech said that the rpms may decrease again, and he said if this happens that I need to ground something under the driverside dash board. I will keep you alll posted on this issue, and let you know what happens, but for now it looks like I may have fixed the car, I drive alot so if something happens it will happen soon, like I said I will keep you posted. I still don't have my type-RS back on, and I won't put it on till I know I have the issue taken care of, I am going to get a type-s and recirculate it like I should.

Good thread! All kinds of protege owners are having this problem, not just us Mazdaspeed owners. I suggest to anyone that can have warranty work done, to get their dealer to check out their Idle Air Control Valve if they are having this problem. Mine was faulty and they replaced it for free.

Speedcicle and Zoom-Zoom03...keep us posted on whether or not adjusting your idle screw fixes your problem permanently.

Thanks

I had this problem and every once in a while the rpms would dip to the point where the dash lights would flash, but it wouldn't die. I just installed an FMIC, and now it is way worse. I've had it die a couple times in just the two days I've had it on. I'm not even boosting or blowing off.

I read another thread where people were talking about the Idle Air Control valve. This is confusing the crap out of me, what exactly does this thing do?

I know there is a set screw that sets the minimum amount that the TB opens, but apparently this is not the same thing?

Can anyone explain the purpose of the IAC and how it works? I really like to understand what the effects of something are before I go adjusting it.

subscribing....cuz you know i got the problem too...thanks mazda! we'd all like to thank you for this s***... ps, my dealer said nothing was wrong either. i asked them to take a look, and perhaps look at the EGR valve. nothing.

Same thing happens to my ride..I think it's a characteristic of all mazda's!

When ever i see the rpms drop..and i have my laptop open..it tells me the a/f is lean..

Also i notice that when the engine fan kicks on the same thing happens.

I changed battery to an Optima...and it did nothing!

Chas

mine did that too, it turns out air was entering the intake tract from the wrong side of the MAF, meaning i had a leak and some air was getting into the tube between the throttlebody and MAF. turns out the silicone was drawn up a little letting just a bit of air through

Okay, I told you all I drive alot, and if something were to happen, it would happen quick, well the dropping is back and my dash lights were on again today. I put about 80 mi on today, almost 100 since I adjusted it yesterday. So, I will call Cullen's Mazda man and try what he recomended. Like I said the adjusting the idle up seemed to cure the problem, but like the Mazda man said the computer seemed to compensate for my adjustment (stupid computers(rant) ) So, I will get a chance to fix this problem on Friday, until then, I will keep you all posted on this problem. Thanks again MAZDA (and I am encouraging my girlfriend to by an RX-8, its a good thing these cars look cool and handle well, b/c they sure have s#@t load of problems:mad: .)

speedcicle said:
The adjustment screw for idle air control is on the throttle body. If you look from the passengers side of the engine you will see a phillips head screw on the lower left side of the throttle body (closest to the firewall) sunken in on an angle. There is a connector for a sensor right above it. Turn it counter clockwise for more air and clockwise for less. One full turn counter clockwise should do it, it did for me.

Does anyone have a pic of the adjustment screw that they can post? I am trying to find it and I still don't see any screw sunken in at an angle on the passenger side of the throttle body... I'm confused.. (shrug)

Also, I remember reading somewhere a way that we can make this idle adjustment permanent. I thought it was in this thread, but now that I look back, I guess it wasn't. Does anyone remember where that thread/post is located?

Chewbacca said:
Does anyone have a pic of the adjustment screw that they can post? I am trying to find it and I still don't see any screw sunken in at an angle on the passenger side of the throttle body... I'm confused.. (shrug)

Also, I remember reading somewhere a way that we can make this idle adjustment permanent. I thought it was in this thread, but now that I look back, I guess it wasn't. Does anyone remember where that thread/post is located?

Yes, I mentioned it here in this thread a little bit. I need to talk to a Mazda tech, you have to ground something under the driverside dash, I will post how to fix all of this on Friday after I take all the steps necessary and talk to the tech again. I will keep you posted though, I can email you a pic on friday, because I don't know how to post pics on here, unless they are on the web already.

I have the exact same problem at warm start-ups. My idle will drop very rapidly then creep back up to about 750. I thought it was my Injen CAI but I guess it's not if the stockers are having the same issue. One thing I noticed that is really weird is that if I'm parked on an incline (the front of my car is elevated higher than the rear) the problem is much worse and the idle drops even lower and if I am parked at a decline, it's the opposite, my car will typically idle at around 900 rpms. I notice it all the time because the parking lot at my work is not paved flat and has a lot of mounds. Anyone else notice a difference in idle speed when your parked on an incline or decline?

Back