Rotating tires at home

You can get a low profile floor jack under the car. When I was lowered on H&R I could get a Pittsburgh low profile jack from Harbour Freight under the front honey comb no problem. Now that I'm on BC coilovers, I jack the front sides real quick and place a 1" 12x12 brick under the front wheels so I can reach the honeycomb. Rear differential I can reach still. For $150 or less you can get the Pittsburgh 1.5 ton aluminum jack, and 4 jackstand + the little rubber topper for the jack stand. Any no, those little "(13")" floor jacks don't have enough reach. Of course HF is always having sales so you can probably get it cheaper. Then you can do a tire rotation, mods and self maintenance.

1.5t Jack http://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton-compact-aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-60569.html $89.99
Jack Stands (set of 2) http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-steel-jack-stands-61196.html $24.99
Jack stand rubber (set of 2) http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-rubber-pads-for-jack-stand-95952.html#reviews $7.99

Last edited:

A little overkill for just rotating tires though.

With a weight limit of 3500 lbs. all 2.5L AWD's will be over the weight limit. Even FWD 2.5L models could exceed capacity if there are accessories, all weather mats, hitch, etc.

My Italian made motorcycle lift has a 800 pound capacity but I reasoned why would I ever want a motorcycle over 800 pounds? Most Harley's exceed the limits of my lift but this is fine with me.

I dunno. My cheapo Tractor Supply "Big Red" 3-ton works good.

Replaced my rear brake pads and rotors today and I successfully got the jack to the rear crossmember. Just had to have the jack handle nearly horizontal to get it there, and it took a bunch of small pumps initially since there was little clearance. Thanks for the motivation to give it a good look and try again!

With a weight limit of 3500 lbs. all 2.5L AWD's will be over the weight limit. Even FWD 2.5L models could exceed capacity if there are accessories, all weather mats, hitch, etc.

My Italian made motorcycle lift has a 800 pound capacity but I reasoned why would I ever want a motorcycle over 800 pounds? Most Harley's exceed the limits of my lift but this is fine with me.

Actually unit can lift 5K pounds.

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-5000.aspx

Anyone have any issues with the pinch welds bending while they are on jack stands? Honda does it right (or at least they used to) with nice flat brackets that sit perfectly on jack stands, but not Toyota or Mazda (probably others too).

Anyone have any issues with the pinch welds bending while they are on jack stands? Honda does it right (or at least they used to) with nice flat brackets that sit perfectly on jack stands, but not Toyota or Mazda (probably others too).
it's gonna happen over time, not necessarily sideways bending but you will start to see an arch

Jackstands come in different varieties. Some have adapters for pinch welds. As usual, you need the right tool for the job.

If you are bending the pinch welds you are doing it wrong. Nothing can match the idiocy of a young tire monkey at Les Schwab jacking my S80 from the passenger floor pan (thin sheet metal with under-coating). Wow! Oh, wait! There was the time a not-so-young tire monkey at Les Schwab jacked my 1993 Eurovan from the rear A-arm. When the floor jack slipped off the sloped surface it took off the fitting that controlled the front/rear braking distribution valve. Solution? Replace the A-arm. Cost to Les Schwab? $1950.00!

This is why I now do all my own wheel changes at home. It's easier than me making sure the people shops hire are qualified. You would think this stuff would be common sense but apparently it's not.

Last edited:
FYI, a hockey puck fits perfect on a jack if you're lifting at the pinch welds and don't want to maul them up over time

Also, I put the front up on stands and then just lift the back from the diff with the jack to do all 4 wheels up at once to rotate them. Never trust a jack to hold if you're getting under a car, but I trust mine enough to hold a few minutes while I move wheels and keep myself out of harms way. It's something to do while I let the oil drain and I have the front up on stands to begin with to make life easier.

Last edited:
How is the weight distribution on the CX? All of my previous vehicles (with the exception of my Montero Sport), I could just put the jack under the front drivers side or passenger side jacking point and it would lift that whole side of the car. Made rotating tires cake walk since I never did X method.

I don't see how it's possible to even get a floor jack that far under with enough clearance to crank it - maybe my cheap Torin 6-ton steel jack isn't ideal? Up till now I've just done one corner at a time.

Access to he rear point seams easier. The front is likely easier accessing from 90 degree angle from the doors. Its a shorter distance then from the front bumper. When I purchase a jack I'm going to go with a pretty long one with low clearance with a long handle.

Access to he rear point seams easier. The front is likely easier accessing from 90 degree angle from the doors. Its a shorter distance then from the front bumper. When I purchase a jack I'm going to go with a pretty long one with low clearance with a long handle.

Check out the Arcan Jacks. I got mine at Costco but I think the same one is sold at Northern Tool just a different color. The one I have is 3.25 ton capacity, low profile and long enough to get under the front to the jacking point on the CX-5. It's a great jack that has served me well.

Check out the Arcan Jacks. I got mine at Costco but I think the same one is sold at Northern Tool just a different color. The one I have is 3.25 ton capacity, low profile and long enough to get under the front to the jacking point on the CX-5. It's a great jack that has served me well.

Do you have to remove any of the plastic molding under the car to get to the jack point. The other day I looked under there and the plastic molding seemed to stretch the entire engine bay and some. Or is the front end point that far in?

Does it look something like this? https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

91aY65y1rsL._SL1500_.jpg

Jackstands come in different varieties. Some have adapters for pinch welds. As usual, you need the right tool for the job.

If you are bending the pinch welds you are doing it wrong. Nothing can match the idiocy of a young tire monkey at Les Schwab jacking my S80 from the passenger floor pan (thin sheet metal with under-coating). Wow! Oh, wait! There was the time a not-so-young tire monkey at Les Schwab jacked my 1993 Eurovan from the rear A-arm. When the floor jack slipped off the sloped surface it took off the fitting that controlled the front/rear braking distribution valve. Solution? Replace the A-arm. Cost to Les Schwab? $1950.00!

This is why I now do all my own wheel changes at home. It's easier than me making sure the people shops hire are qualified. You would think this stuff would be common sense but apparently it's not.

I agree about needing the right tools for the job. I did find a set of jack stands with a notch for the pinch welds, but unfortunately the notch was too deep (not a fit for the CX-5). I will keep looking, although selection in Canada is limited compared to the USA. To be honest though, I am still concerned about the pinch welds; there will be some movement/shifting as the vehicle is lowered onto the jack stands after lifting from the front cross member.

I also agree with doing as much maintenance myself as possible. The problem with common sense is that it's not so common...

FYI, a hockey puck fits perfect on a jack if you're lifting at the pinch welds and don't want to maul them up over time

Also, I put the front up on stands and then just lift the back from the diff with the jack to do all 4 wheels up at once to rotate them. Never trust a jack to hold if you're getting under a car, but I trust mine enough to hold a few minutes while I move wheels and keep myself out of harms way. It's something to do while I let the oil drain and I have the front up on stands to begin with to make life easier.

Agreed; never get under a vehicle being supported by a jack.

I might just try the hockey puck!

Back