Roof rack

ORSracksdirect.com for $220.xx. Free shipping and they threw in a fairing.
If I went with the black I'd have it already but I decided to hold out for the silver since it'll match my 5. I have to go across the border to pick it up but it's half the price than up here.

ORSracksdirect.com for $220.xx. Free shipping and they threw in a fairing.
If I went with the black I'd have it already but I decided to hold out for the silver since it'll match my 5. I have to go across the border to pick it up but it's half the price than up here.

That was a sweet deal on ORS but I decided to get a full tint including tails for $200 instead. Im interested to see the Inno rack system mounted. Post up some pics...

For those ordering from ORS Racks Direct, check out these coupons.
It will give you an extra 10% off to the already great prices.

Apply in the cart at checkout.

http://www.tjoos.com/Coupon/106868/orsracksdirect.com

Serious awesome. Thanks. I was gonna wait to order but with the sale ending today on ORS and the EXTRA 10% off there was no way I could pass this up. Got the feet, bars, and fairing all for $198 shipped. Slammin deal...

Hi all,

I've been contemplating a roof rack. Originally I was just thinking cargo box, but now I might need it to carry a canoe sometimes...
Get a cargo box, and the canoe carrier. The roof rack is just two bars going across the top of your car, what you put on the bars and how you attach it to the bars is up to you. You would only want to have the cargo box on the crossbars when you need it, like for a vacation.

The Thule canoe carrier is model number “579XT Canoe Carrier”, $90 MSRP. $80 at Amazon, and $70 at REI (if you are a member). $81 at the site listed above, before 10% off discount.
And there are also YouTube videos showing the canoe carrier in action, just do a search.

By the way, are people leaving the cross bars on all the time, or only when they need them? On my Honda Accord it takes about five minutes to put the cross bars and on off, but I normally leave them off because I don’t use them on a regular basis, maybe just three or four times per year.

Last edited:
Got my Inno rack in today from ORS and it was on the car in under an hour from thanking the UPS man...

a5f9bf0e.jpg

de33cc21.jpg

I think the fairing they sent is a little small but whatever. Im looking into getting a bigger one and selling this one. Whatever... it was FREE! lol.

Get a cargo box, and the canoe carrier. The roof rack is just two bars going across the top of your car, what you put on the bars and how you attach it to the bars is up to you. You would only want to have the cargo box on the crossbars when you need it, like for a vacation.

The Thule canoe carrier is model number 579XT Canoe Carrier, $90 MSRP. $80 at Amazon, and $70 at REI (if you are a member). $81 at the site listed above, before 10% off discount.
And there are also YouTube videos showing the canoe carrier in action, just do a search.

I think I basically have that same setup coming - minus a cargo box at the moment. Thule actually ran low on the fit kit for the 5 and are making more. In a couple of weeks I should have pics. Haven't decided where to tie down the bow and stern lines yet as I haven't really taken a close look under the 5. I know there are tie downs under there that hold the car for transport and those might work.

On the roof racks, how long does it take to put it on or take it off?

Five or ten minutes, or is it really not practical to leave the rails off except for when you need them?

Be sure to post up some picts of the tinted tails - many of us (me) want to tint the tails.

Yeah Im trying to get the tint done today and the tails but not sure if my shop can squeeze me in. I'll have it done in the next few days worst case. I'll post pics...

Five or ten minutes, or is it really not practical to leave the rails off except for when you need them?

The Inno system I just installed would take 5 minutes to take off and they come with caps to cover the mounts. Pretty awesome system...

10 minutes at most to put the bars/feet on the car. First set-up was 20 minutes. I leave the cross-bars on the feet so that all I have to do is put the feet on.

Okay, well I just learned the biggest downside of the roof rack - I just tried to pull into my garage with the bikes still on top. I posted about it in the roof Mazda5 forum, but it's a definite downside - you have to remember the bikes are up there. Hopefully the fixpoints aren't too expensive to replace...

Okay, well I just learned the biggest downside of the roof rack - I just tried to pull into my garage with the bikes still on top. I posted about it in the roof Mazda5 forum, but it's a definite downside - you have to remember the bikes are up there. Hopefully the fixpoints aren't too expensive to replace...

problem w/ any car is driver error.
don't know if they still make it, but years ago, yakima made this little magnetic flip up 'sign' that stuck to the hood; wind at speed keeps it down, and when speed slows, it would 'pop up' saying you had bikes on the roof!
I used to work in a bike shop, we repaired/replaced lots of bikes left on roof racks!

Is there any place online that sells the original Mazda racks? How much do they go for?

I'm debating whether or not to go for the original Mazda branded rack, or the Thule Podium 460 system that ORSracks recommended.

Also, I see a lot of talk about Thule and Yakima cargo boxes, but even the "cheap" ones are $200-300!
What about those cheapo sears boxes for under $200? Is there a reason nobody wants to use those? I'm trying to add a little extra storage without adding too much cost to my recent purchase of the vehicle...

problem w/ any car is driver error.
don't know if they still make it, but years ago, yakima made this little magnetic flip up 'sign' that stuck to the hood; wind at speed keeps it down, and when speed slows, it would 'pop up' saying you had bikes on the roof!

That IS cool, but I think hanging a sign or tennis ball on a 3' rope from the top of the garage door would work fine too. When the door opens, it would swing around in your view, cost effective too :)

Back