Roof rack

mitchell said:
good work on the DIY.
mind if I ask who makes that?

thanks for the update afticarab. I wondered if the mount for the euro rack lived beneath the black raingutter...just didn't have the nerve to check it.

The rack, rails and load bars, are from Perrycraft. Ran about $305.00 including shipping. Installs in about 20 minutes.

5-4-fighting said:
I haven't seen any pics yet and forgive me if I hijack this thread, but here some previously posted pics of my DIY rack, I installed on my 5.

Your 5 looks pretty good with that roof rack. It's the one thing that i miss about my old Montero Sport...if there wasnt enough cargo room then i'd just strap it to the roof :p

Did it require any drilling? And more importantly does it interfere with the sunroof. I live in So Cal and cant live without it :p

Anyone know if the Protege5 rack from Mazda will fit the 5?

I have one leftover, and may try to rig it up if the mount holes are similar. If it's wider or whatever, I'll get some Thule load bars and drill out the rivets to make it the right width.

The stock rack I've got is quite tall so that no matter what you put on it the moon roof can still open underneath it. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like those euro rails are a bit low and depending on the placement of the cross braces or just what you put on top of them that you might not be able to open the moon roof. They still look great though!

Roof rack modified

One of the problems with the Mazda rack for the 5 is that its just too narrow. I ordered Thule LB50 bars from LLBean (great price to Canada) drilled out the original rivets and installed the longer bars. Used stainless 1/4 inch button head hex bolts which I put right through the plastic cover for the foot. Its a bit of a process to get on and off but it works much better than I anticipated. Last year I transported bikes on a hitch rack with only two on the roof. The back of the van came down quite a bit with ~ 80 lbs of bikes and 75 lbs of rack, not to mention the cantilever effect of the rack sticking a couple of feet off the back. See picture from this year, with the same load last year the rear wheel was just inside the edge of the wheelwell, ~ 3" difference. It handles better, no one flashes their lights at me and I have unincumbered access to the rear gate. If anyone wants details on this mod please email me.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 2,393
  • IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    376.5 KB · Views: 2,850
Last edited:
Somebody at my dealership asked that I post pictures of my roof rack. It's been a while, but I'm doing it now!

So, it's the Mazda rack, with two SportRack Piranha bike supports (with wheel off).

Attachments

• Picture43 003.jpg
    Picture43 003.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Picture43 005.jpg
    Picture43 005.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 671
Somebody at my dealership asked that I post pictures of my roof rack. It's been a while, but I'm doing it now!

So, it's the Mazda rack, with two SportRack Piranha bike supports (with wheel off).

Excellent! Crossbars look great.

I was going to post a request for info on these, but noticed a 5 with the Mazda bars and a Thule box in a local parking lot last week.

I don't have a beef with the bars as opposed to the 'in-place' rails, and the fact that they look almost identical to the Volvo crossbars on my 03 S40, then the Thule box should be interchangeable between the 2 vehicles (2thumbs)

I was told they are Thule crossbars. I've only used mine for hauling lumber for home projects. Takes about 5 minutes to put them on and to take them off. I'm glad I have them!

I was not sure if you are able to revive this OLD-OLD thread (boom02)

Well, the time has come and I will definitely need a cargo box. The in-laws are coming so I need to place one of them on the roof (evil). Just kidding, I need the extra space for traveling. I've read several threads around and I would just like to confirm I'm getting the right things. I'll go OEM for the rack itself (to play safe) and I'll get a Thule cargo box like the one sold OEM (both are accessories in the MazdaUSA website, but damn expensive)

• OEM roof rack, part(s): CC43-V4-701G
  • Thule Cargo Box: Cascade or similar, 15-17 cu. ft. capacity

Does it look OK? Any comments? I'll do some pricing research as soon as the parts are pinned down...

Thanks!

Sorry for reviving this old-old-old thread but when my dealer gave me the part number for the rack and i wanted to confirm it, this thread came up first in a google search. Since I'm now a member I thought I'd confirm what I wanted to know and now know definitively, for any future searchers:

• The Mazda OEM rack for the 5 IS a THULE rack.
  • The 5 has hard screwdown mount points under the rubber caps on the rain gutters on the roof.
  • The crossbars are standard Thule square crossbars, but they don't overhang the risers - they are perhaps 43-44 inches across, shorter than Thule's 50" version.
  • The risers (or whatever you call them) are a special fit for the 5 but are keyed with standard Thule lock cylinders.
  • The rack installs with no tools. Initial time may be a half hour, but once you know how it works, it's 5 minutes off, 5 minutes back on.
  • Thule can sell you a nearly identical rack, with the Thule logo instead of the Mazda logo, that secures exactly the same way in the same mountpoints. It has the 50" bars instead of the shorter Mazda ones. It costs almost exactly the same price and has the same weight limit (165 lbs / 75kg). I like the Mazda one better because it's tidier without the overhang, but the Thule-branded one will hold slightly more.

One final point - the Euro sliding rails probably require adapters, as almost every factory rack provided by any other manufacturer does. I love that Mazda gave us a straight rebranded Thule rack, since it means no adapters, no goofy-low weight limits, and easy-on, easy-off installation.

Hope that helps everybody who stumbles on this thread by searching Google for the rack's part number.

Thank you, lindsayt. Slowly looking into rails and a box. Don't need it yet, but soon we'll have all the seats full....

So im debating a long drive down to Florida and want a cheap roof rack just to haul a luggage carrier.

Whats my cheapest options?

The Inno rack for the Mz5 is ~$220 from ORS Racks Direct. It has a lower weight limit (140lbs) than the Thule or Yakima (165lbs) but I doubt that will make a difference in your case.

Last edited:
Hmm.

Looks like the OEM can only hold 100lbs and is more expensive.

Anyone have an Inno?

I dont need to put much weight in it, mostly clothes and junk for a vacation, 100 should be fine.

Id like something that doesnt mount with drill holes if thats even possible as it wont stay on but for long trips that we arent flying to (not many). BUT, if they use factory holes in the roof rail groove that may be ok if it comes with plugs or a cover?

Im auto savvy, but Ive never messed with roof racks so forgive me if I sound idiotic.

I appreciate your help.

Hopefully I can find a top box on craigslist or borrow someones for the trip (trying to plan a clearwater fl trip from Ohio\michigan line).

No, the OEM holds 165 lbs. There's conflicting information because most "factory racks" have a 100 lb limit, but the OEM rack for the 5 is not a "factory rack", it's a rebranded Thule and it has a 165 lb limit.

You're not going to find any cheap solution that works well. The OEM rack and Thule or Yakima racks all come in right around $300, and since they use the fixpoints in the roof (the covers snap out and snap back in when the rack comes off) it's clean, easy, and quick. And strong. I don't know anything about Inno; if it uses the fixpoints it's probably fine but I wouldn't use any non-fixpoint system on a car that has fixpoints such as the 5. I've messed with all sorts of goofy arrangements in the past, and the fixpoints are so much better.

Once you have the rails you can choose almost anything to put on top of there. Heck, if you don't mind the hit in gas mileage you can use tiedowns to attach literally anything you want up there. Just remember it will brutalize your gas mileage if it's not aerodynamic.

Hmm.

Looks like the OEM can only hold 100lbs and is more expensive.

Anyone have an Inno?

I dont need to put much weight in it, mostly clothes and junk for a vacation, 100 should be fine.

Id like something that doesnt mount with drill holes if thats even possible as it wont stay on but for long trips that we arent flying to (not many). BUT, if they use factory holes in the roof rail groove that may be ok if it comes with plugs or a cover?

Im auto savvy, but Ive never messed with roof racks so forgive me if I sound idiotic.

I appreciate your help.

Hopefully I can find a top box on craigslist or borrow someones for the trip (trying to plan a clearwater fl trip from Ohio\michigan line).

Last edited:
Hmm.

Just for this trip flying is about 1000 even for 4, renting a car is (have no clue for a week) 200? so thats 1200, driving will cost about 260 round trip plus 300 for rack, 100 for top box thats 660, saving 540 plus getting to keep the equipment for another trip. My hope is the roofline\mounts for the 2011 mazda5 are exactly the same.

Guess I need to travel more.

Thanks guys, guess the OEM isnt so bad at 280.

Ill be making the FL trip from Jersey in about a week. I have the thule sidekick top box, is the smallest and cheapest they have. Plenty of room in it for my needs and wont get too heavy. I have a factory rack.

Back