Roof Rack Help

EXA4DRIVER

:
04 Suzuka Blue S2000
I've called two dealers here in So Cal and both have told me that they can't sell me the roof rack! Are they feeding me a load of crap or is this true? If it is true, where can I get a factory rack at a decent price? Thanks y'all.

Jay

My '03 came with the roof rack (installed by dealer). They can get the part numbers if they get off their a$$. From what I can tell, they should come with the car.
Cheers

EXA4, do you have the roof rack rail filling plastic pieces? my dealer says i can't get them so i am hoping for someone that wont need them.

thanks

if you dont have the roof rack rails order a thule rack system better quality and can actuallly carry something.windlift is the issue with the factory rack they are not rated to carry surfboards and other items thay can hold 100 pounds but wind lift is not factured into the equation.many auto mobiles out their with those plastic factory racks have the same issue,my answer can directly from mazda thru an informed dealer.if you are looking for a rack for the look only then the factory rack will do and an informed dealer has to have the part numbers if not contact mazda usa.yakima makes a rack that fits if you got the roof rack rails but it also is not rated to carry surfboards both yakima and thule have web sites. good luck

EXA4DRIVER:

I don't think they're feedin ya. My contact at Ocean Mazda in Miami,FL is the Sales Manager. I actually WITNESSED him TAKE BACK a P5 that a customer had for a week, because he thought the roof rack could be added later. It can't. He had to TAKE BACK the car (how often does a dealer do THAT!?!?!?) and put them in another brand spanking new one, with the roof racks. Dude's got like 8-10 non-roof-rack P5's, and has NO idea what to do with them, because most people want the roof rack. They became optional (and the subwoofer standard) after about VIN xxxx140xxx or so (last 6 digits of VIN being 14xxxx or so).

He told me the SAME thing, so that's why I used MazdaUSA.com's Vehicle Search thingie to find my car (50-60 miles away) and had him dealer-trade for it (laser blue 5sp/roof rack/sub/moonroof/changer/abs/airbags)

I dont understand why mazda makes two different types of racks. They are wasting a lot of money by doing this. The canadian and american versions should be the same dont you think?
Is the canadian style rack available as an accesory where you are? Because if it is, it is a 2 minute install.
If it isnt, Thule makes that exact rack that bolts onto the roof. Look into it.

could anyone from canada show pictures of the canadian thule roof rack cant find pictures.how does it bolt on ? i have heard that canadian roof internal structures are different than usa? i would recomend that anyone do their homework before putting anything heavy on the usa factory racks cause when you tweak your roof almost certain it wont be covered.

That would be really stupid if the internal roof structures were different! The canadian ones can carry 75 kg (about 160 lbs)

To install it, you simply bolt the rack into the hole that was made for it.

Search for a thread called "canadian roof rack"

I can ony relay along what the Sales Mgr told me, and when I actually saw them putting the couple into a different, brand-new, 0-mile (well, you know) Protege5. This is my 4th or 5th car that I buy from him, and he doesn't screw around with me. He had the car dealer-traded, and on his lot, before I had even done a friggin' credit app!!!

The Canadian roofs are pretty similar, but they dont have any holes pre-drilled like the US racks do. the plastic strips on the Canadian P5's are attached via clips that are glued to the roof of the car. For the US P5's there are four holes that a bolt and nut slip through to attach the roof rack on each side.

The 2003.5 (I suppose) cars he has on the lot, with no roof rack, have simply the black rain-gutter-thingie, and not the blank roof-rack rails. Only about 1/2" or 1" wide or so.

sharkonwheels said:
The 2003.5 (I suppose) cars he has on the lot, with no roof rack, have simply the black rain-gutter-thingie, and not the blank roof-rack rails. Only about 1/2" or 1" wide or so.

That's exactly what the roo looks like. I got a better explanation from the dealer as to why they won't sell me the roof rack. Supposedly there have been numerous problems of roofs leaking if the racks were not installed by the factory. Hence they didn't even want to attempt to install it, therefore why even order them. I still think its a freakin' cop-out. :rolleyes:

after viewing the links to the canadian roof rack and removing my roof rack rails[usa] the two are not interchangeable it looks like the canadian models have built their roof rack rails into the roof structure to hold the single bolt.i am going to use thule racks way more functional than usa factory racks not as eye pleasing though.removing the roof rack rails was not that difficult if you are mechanically inclined a geat how to do it link in this forum use the search.thanks to the guy who did that.if you decide to remove headliner four buttons three that you see towards the rear and one underneath the light will have to be repaced as i believe the are a one time use only.two people to move and replace the headliner[lining it backup] is best cause they are flexiable and could crease better safe than sorry.

privateer,

You mean the american models only have holes made for your type of rack? Its wierd that mazda went through all this trouble. My canadian owners manual shows the car with the american rack...i guess they decided not to use it last minute?
Functionality wise your better with an aftermarket thule or yakima anyways.

If you want, I have the entire roof rack assembly (removed from my car) WITH the moon roof deflector (which you'll want if you have a moon roof). I'd be willing to sell the set for a reasonable price...

mtnbiker26,
thanks for the link.
i'm stuck with the "canadian set-up" (no rack at all) and was thinking of going for a U.S. set-up.
NOT any more! I'll just go with a Thule kit.

mtnbiker26 said:
Hey EXA4DRIVER, do you want the rack just for looks or are you planning to carry stuff with it? If you're planning to carry stuff don't bother with the factory rack, it sucks pretty bad.

http://home.attbi.com/~gtolley/rack.htm

Thanks for the link mtnbiker. Yup, I'm one of the few that will actually be carrying stuff with the rack (surfboard/snowboard). I was under the impression that both the Thule and the Yakima had to be attached to the stock rails. I didn't know that they actually came with a separate kit. Once again, much thanks :) I think I'll be going with the Yakima.

Latest posts

Back