Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

The Mazda racks connect to 4 mounting points hidden in the plastic strips that run down both sides of the roof. There are 4 plastic tabs that cover them if you have no rack.

Extremely sorry as I know someone has posted this here before but I cannot find it. What's the official product name (part number would be better) of those 4 little black plastic tabs that cover up the roof fixpoint holes?

Extremely sorry as I know someone has posted this here before but I cannot find it. What's the official product name (part number would be better) of those 4 little black plastic tabs that cover up the roof fixpoint holes?

They're known as Mazda CAP,DRIP MOULD (part number GJ6A505A1) and cost about $6.50 each. I think practically all the Mazda3 after 2004 also uses the same part number...

Good info in this thread, especially the installation PDF.

So I guess the routine is that you first spend $300 or so on the base/rail arrangement, and then in order to carry anything you're supposed to purchase special carrier attachments at additional cost?

The roof boxes come with their own attachment hardware- but for carrying things like bikes or surfboards, you'll have to get specific mounts at an extra cost.

Oh, so if you want something like a roof-mounted bike rack there's actually a third hardware kit to buy? Wow - I'd have assumed any and all rack add-ons would include mounting hardware!

No, that's what I'm saying- I was just saying that bike/board mounts are required to carry those items on top of the OEM roof rack since it doesn't come with any specialty carry hardware.

Okay ... I think I see.

So what's needed to just strap stuff up top like with a normal station wagon roof rack? Would that be one of these "cargo baskets"? My only point of reference is the factory rack on my old Colony Park, and I used to carry stuff up there on occasion without any additional hardware.

Yakima Control Tower

Has anyone tried to use Yakima Control Towers on a Landing Pad 11 with a Mazda5? Specifically a 2012. It looks like it might fit, but none of the fit guides seem to confirm it. My best hint that it might is this:

http://yakima.custhelp.com/ci/fattach/get/41677/

which mentions the 06 to 10 Mazda5 as working with Landing Pad 11. Strangely that's not reflected in their fit guide, and there's no mention of the 2012. Should the 2012 fit exactly the same as the 2010?

I have a bunch of Yakima gear, so I really want to get round bars on my Mazda5, but I hate the idea of using Q clips when there are mounting points already there.

I have the Control Towers on a Landing Pad 11 on my 2012. The issue was, I think this appears in this thread, the bolts were too long. I used the extra hardware to add more washers to my bolts to make sure they didn't bottom out below the mounting bracket. You can also order shorter ones or hacksaw them I guess. I made a 400 mile round trip with a box on top recently, no issues. If you leave the bars on you will need the faring as they howl like crazy. I used 48 inch round bars that previously had been on my accord. They don't stick out mcuh past the control towers.

At ORS I was able to order 4 single control towers. Came out cheaper than buying the sets. This was last fall.

As far as I know this is not a Yakima approved install. YMMV

I called Yakima today, and while they didn't give me specifics about why they wouldn't certify the 5 with control towers, they did say they tested it and found something about the structure of the fixed points insufficient for supporting a Yakima rack. She implied it was a problem with the car, not with the available Landing pads, and that Yakima would never be able to support the 5's fixed points properly. They offer Q towers, but even she encouraged me to just get the Thule rack, since they do certify that their rack works on the 5's fixed points. While I'd like to have Yakima round bars, I'd rather use the fixed points since they are available, and I'd rather not go against Yakima's recommendation and do something that might damage the car or my stuff on top. I realize the LP11 probably would work, but if something did get damaged, I could only blame myself. I think I'll probably go for a Thule rack for the 5. I'll just have to get lots of replacement snaparounds for most of my existing gear (basketcase, hullraiser, fork mounts) and replace my steelhead bike mounts with something Thule compatible. Fortunately the SkyBox works on any cross bars.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...lly-worked-out-the-roof-rack&highlight=yakima

Check out the thread "Yakima finally worked out the roof rack". Several of us have been using the Control Tower/LP11 combo. I read about this insufficient roof support thing in another thread but cannot find the thread. In my case, what I've noticed is that the black plastic strip that runs the length of the roof *might* pull up from the roof. My front left Control Tower has pulled that black strip about 1mm up over 2.5 years of driving. IMO, 1mm isn't enough to "ruin" my car and I will likely use the rack again. Based on recent changes in my commute and the horrible MPGs I've been getting, I've decided to remove the rack for awhile and transport my bikes inside the back...

I took a look at a landing pad 11 in a store and I think I understand how it might be a problem over time. Since I'd like to put the rack on and take it off frequently, rather than leave it on, I'm not willing to take the risk. So I've decided to go with a Thule rack.

Now, to decide between the Mazda rack, which is made by Thule, and the Thule Podium 460 and 3080 fit kit. I suspect they are very similar. I saw the Mazda rack manual in post 391, but I haven't been able to find a manual for the 3080 fit kit. Rack Attack usually has them, but not for the 3080. Can anyone who has one describe it in more detail than I can find? From the manual in post 391, the Mazda rack has some protective film to put under the pads. Does the Thule 3080 have that? Are the pads angled to be a perfect fit just like the Mazda one? Do all the bolts, sleeves, and washers work the same? If no one has the 3080, I'll have to make a trip to REI to look at one whenever I next go to a city that has one.

The Mazda and Thule seem really similar, since both are made by Thule. From what it looks like, the differences are these:
* Mazda may offer protective film to protect the car.
* Mazda offers "spoilers" to reduce wind noise
* Mazda is maybe a little higher to avoid the sun roof if you have it, which I don't.
* Thule offers longer bars
* Thule is likely cheaper. Especially if you can catch them on sale, use an REI dividend, etc.

temporary-45.jpg

inno rack

Hey did you just get this rack from eBay last week from some dude selling it in Fullerton? If it was, damn it you beat me to it. I had it on watch and I just missed it.

Back