Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

the mounting between the protege5 and the mazda5 is different. if you are talking aftermarket roof kits, the only parts that will cross over are the load bars. if you are talking stock parts, nothing will cross over.

I have installed the 2010 Inno rack on my 2012. They are really noisy. My wife hates it. I'm going to have to try the fairing to attempt to minimize the noise.
Also, the two bars are at slightly different angles from each other. I don't think it matters structurally, but it looks a bit "off" to me.
Can't say I'm completely happy, but we'll see what happens when I add the basket and the fairing.

--mike

you say that the bars are a little 'off'. You do have all the parts to the setup, don't you? I ask because when i ordered mine, i had the rubber 'spacer' missing that goes OVER the Fit Hook (the metal part). Well, it was just 'forgotten' in my order. I didn't know it was missing because the dang directions are in Japanese & I don't speak it! haha. I'm really lucky that I didn't lose my snowboard all winter. I knew it didn't look right because the bars were a little 'off'. just letting ya know that it happened to me, it may happen to others.

To eliminate/minimize the wind noise:
a. put something on the bars, it dramatically reduces the howl
b. wrap bungee cords around the bars from side to side around 2-3 times to disrupt the airflow that causes the howl
c. take the rack off if you're not using it, it's pretty quick with the Inno.

Used Inno Racks this weekend.

Used the INNO rack with a 20 Cubic ft. cargo carrier. The INNO racks worked
great. They do have a little wind noise, but I'm not leaving them on so I don't care.

Is there room for the bike trays on the outside of the towers? I'm would like to get 4 bike trays on top with 3 wheel holders if possible. Also, if using the medium inno flaring, does it interfer with the placement of the racks?

Is there room for the bike trays on the outside of the towers (WITH 50 inch bars)? I'm would like to get 4 bike trays on top with 3 wheel holders if possible. Also, if using the medium inno flaring, does it interfer with the placement of the racks?[/QUOTE]

updated question - with 50 inch bars. Want to get two trays on the outside of the towers and 2 on the inside with 3 wheel holders on back bar is the idea. Will it fit??

I have 50" bars with the Inno rack and seriously doubt a tray would fit outboard the stays on each side. I went with 50" for the ability to shift them to one side to to get an extra outboard on that side with 2 or 3 in the middle.

Thanks SuperJETT. Mine are on order and should be coming in next week to see if I can make work. Ideally, I could face all the racks forward but I was just doing some calculations. Handlebars are 44cm x 4 = 176cm with a 5cm gap between the inside bikes that would be 191cm (all road or cyclocross bikes). Save 16cm on the outside of each handlebar for hanging over the doors x 2 = 32cm. 191cm - 32cm = 159cm or 62.5" of bar width. Maybe two outside going front to back and two outside going back to front. Bars could then hang over rear wheels. Man- my head hurts... Maybe this would work but I will definitely need two racks on the outside of the towers.
I have some thule bars that are 60in long that I could cut down to fit. Will they work with the Inno Racks?

I've read a few pages of this but I still wonder about gas milage, on a road trip, how much mpg will a cargo box take away?

keep the speed around 65mph-ish, and you will still get great milage. the trip may take a little longer, but milage wont suffer.

Inno IN-XRs are a great option

Thanks to all of you posting in this excellent and informative thread, I ordered my Inno base rack from ORSRacksDirect. I bought the IN-XR pods, TR120 fit kit, B127 50" bars and INA261 medium fairing. The fit is fantastic and I'm very pleased with the product and ORS.

3.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
5.jpg
2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everybody, newbie here. We just got the factory roof rack for our 2010 Mazda 5, and I was going to install it when I noticed that the directions specify torque numbers for all the bolts. I don't own a torque wrench. How big a deal is getting the torque exact? Can you (would you) just tighten by feel? Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, I guess I'm being stupid--they tell you to do the tightening with the tools they provide, so obviously they don't expect you to do it with a torque wrench. I guess they provide those numbers to give a relative idea of how tight the various bolts should be? Seems odd.

Last edited:
Height of Inno Setup?

To Owners with the Inno racks,

May I ask one of you to measure the height of the roof to the bottom of the load bars? I'm looking for the setup with lowest profile and am curious how high the Inno foot pads raise the bars. Thanks much.

The inno bars are very low, so low in fact that with my bike racks in place I cannot open the sunroof fully!! :( they should mention that when ordering!)

The inno bars are very low, so low in fact that with my bike racks in place I cannot open the sunroof fully!! :( they should mention that when ordering!)

Thanks was98. I've seen pics but would you still mind taking the measurement for me? I'm testing out a Thule setup and would like empirical data to compare it against. No concerns of moonroof hitting it, just looking for the lowest profile.

Last edited:
Back