Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

So I took the box off the top of my car for it's detailing this weekend. Lucked out that I had to drive to the desert and back today starting with a full tank of gas. I had to fill up on my way home, but I averaged around 6 mpg better WITHOUT the box.

With the box = 21-23 mpg
Without = 28 mpg

Does anybody have the Thule Podium Foot Pack 460 on their 5? how's the install? How's the fit? and do you have some pics? I have the thule bars from my old subaru and will like to use them on the 5 instead of buying a whole new system.

Ok so i read down the thread that you'll also need the 3069 Fit Kit with it so ill just sell my old rack and get a whole new system i guess. I paid less for my subaru rack than i would have to pay for just the foot pack and fit kit for the 5. I wish the 5 had the roof rails so i can just use what i have.

Last edited:
Hello! I'm planning to install a roof rack and a box for additional storage capacity..
Any ideas or recommendations? Can i install it by myself?
Thank you in advance...

Hello! I'm planning to install a roof rack and a box for additional storage capacity..
Any ideas or recommendations? Can i install it by myself?
Thank you in advance...

If you go with the OE roof rack that mounts into the roof then it's a 10 minute installation/removal process. There are other aftermarket racks available, but I'm not sure how difficult/easy they are to install.
As for the cargo box, they simply mount onto the rack. You will need to ensure that the mounting spots on the cargo box are the same width apart as the roof rack bars since these bars are set at a fixed width and do not slide.
If you plan to keep the racks installed year round then I suggest you go for a wind deflector/fairing to reduce the wind noise.
HTH.
Anthony

If you go with the OE roof rack that mounts into the roof then it's a 10 minute installation/removal process. There are other aftermarket racks available, but I'm not sure how difficult/easy they are to install.
As for the cargo box, they simply mount onto the rack. You will need to ensure that the mounting spots on the cargo box are the same width apart as the roof rack bars since these bars are set at a fixed width and do not slide.
If you plan to keep the racks installed year round then I suggest you go for a wind deflector/fairing to reduce the wind noise.
HTH.
Anthony

Thank you anthony!

10 minutes installation for OE roof rack.. but aren't they a little bit expensive?
And i saw the mounting ports in the roof.. how do you remove those?
And how about "Thule"? Would you recommend it?
Thanks

Thank you anthony!

10 minutes installation for OE roof rack.. but aren't they a little bit expensive?
And i saw the mounting ports in the roof.. how do you remove those?
And how about "Thule"? Would you recommend it?
Thanks

Anything OE for the Mazda5 is expensive.
There should be 4 rectangular plastic covers for the 4 mounting ports...just slide them and it pops out. There is no need to pry them out.
Not sure about the Thule...I think Thule makes one that is identical to the OE rack (in fact the OE rack may even be made by Thule)...Do some searching on this forum as there are many posts with rack options.
Good luck.

Rack and cargo box installed. Thanks!

Just wanted to add my info.
After a long search I finally decided on a rack and cargo box for our Mazda5. Thanks to all contributors here for helping me decide. I will post some pics later when I get around to washing the car :D

I went with the OEM rack after realizing that the Thule and Yakima setups with the respective adapters would not run any cheaper. So I figured I might as well take what's made specifically for the car. Found a good deal on Ebay, got it and the install was indeed just a matter of minutes.

For a box I found a near new Thule Cascade 1500 on Craigslist. It looked huge in the garage but once on the car it fit quite well. The Antenna clears and there is no interference with the hatch and no overhang over the windshield.

Now we're all set for our big camping trip this summer. And with an overall price-tag of just over $400 we're better off than with a rental van, like we did last year.

Does anyone know the weight limit for the Thule roof rack?
I roll with 2 mountain bikes up top with 2 Yakima King Cobras.
It looks like there is only 4 small bolts that hold the rack on?
Should I be scared?

We are looking for roof rack options. Our VW Golf has a full Yakima rack w/ bike, ski, & box attachments.

It'd be nice to use all the same attachments with the M5 rack... and I've been leaning toward Thule. I know Thule and Yakima attachments are now universal.

The OEM rack from Mazda - will Yak and Thule attachments fit an OE rack?

After looking all over the internet I got myself several pieces I was able to assemble together. Tried to drive and everything still in place.

Inno rack, 1 set of Yakima Boa on the RAGE basket, Thule fairing (removed from the other car and bought new one to replace).

Comments welcome.

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 998
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,033
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Does anyone know the weight limit for the Thule roof rack?
I roll with 2 mountain bikes up top with 2 Yakima King Cobras.
It looks like there is only 4 small bolts that hold the rack on?
Should I be scared?

No, you should not. People behind you should. :)

I believe Mazda claimed 100 lbs is OK. Not only 4 small bolts holds the rack on - the whole roof is for this. Small bolts just keep it from moving.

For my bulky system I calculated the total weight - 25lbs basket, 15lbs racks. One bike is about 25-30 lbs - Mazda will hold all of it. Would not put anything else in the basket with two bikes, anyway.

Outlander -

Nice. We will probably do a similar rack setup. Does the Inno attach well? Those 'wells' or adapter locations where the feet/clips drop into the black strips... it's solid yes?

I've had Yakima for years -on my 98 Civic, 97 Jetta and 00 Golf - and I have felt very comfortable with any/all loads. The rack fitment was solid, and anything I placed on the rack was also secure...

Before I purchase the Inno system (which now tops my list) - I want some assurance.

michael.
p.s. has anyone else seen the roof rail system the UK M5's get? I started a different thread regarding the rails - if we can get them stateside.

Outlander -

Nice. We will probably do a similar rack setup. Does the Inno attach well? Those 'wells' or adapter locations where the feet/clips drop into the black strips... it's solid yes?

Yes. The attachment is very firm and secure. (the base made of hard rubber with metal plate inside. You have 3 screws on every foot - 1 to the roof and 2 to attach the foot to the base kit)
In details - you are buying two separate pieces - feet with cross bars and then separate fit kit specifically for Mazda5. (the fit kit cost 49 and they do not charge for separate shipping. Locks included). I paid $190 + $49 for feet+cross bars + fit kit. (shipping included ) Mazda's original would cost best case $280 + sh.

The other thing that I considered positive - the cross bars are lower to the roof compare to Mazda's thule bars. If you do not have sun roof you do not neet to have them elevated.

The cross bars are identical to Thule's. Also, I cut them a few inches to make shorter on sides.

Inno is most popular brand in Japan (Made in Japan - this what I had on the box and manual in japanese only - but pictures more than enough to install). On US market it is only few years this is why we have a little concern.

If you are going to make identical set up please note that the fairing the Thule has currently on the market is smaller than the old one I used.
Will cover much less.

Outlander -

While you were posting - I was shopping online. (cool)

'snowboardforsale.com' has a M5 Inno base rack for $160 + $10 shipping. It includes RV-Inno XR Stays, RV-Inno TR120 fit-hooks, and RV-Inno 46" bars.

And two more online rack retailers 'racknroad.com' and 'orsracksdirect.com' both selling the same Inno setup listed above for $300 with free shipping.

I will probably select longer bars as I want extra rack space. Then if I need to cut them down, I can. I would prefer too long than too short.

We have a sunroof. I can work around that if needed. Fairing will be selected later depending on what I can find on Craigslist.

michael.

Outlander -

While you were posting - I was shopping online. (cool)

'snowboardforsale.com' has a M5 Inno base rack for $160 + $10 shipping. It includes RV-Inno XR Stays, RV-Inno TR120 fit-hooks, and RV-Inno 46" bars.

Looks like you got a perfect deal. I just looked at me receipt - I paid Inno XR Stays - $116.99, Inno Cross Bars 46" $54.99, TR120 fit-hooks - 49.99 and s&h $21.98. (protest)

Hello!
Finally, here's my setup...
Thule Square Bar Roof Rack System.. ($243.00 from orsdirect, free shipping)
Yakima Skybox 18 (18 cu.ft. $367.00 from easternmountainsports)

We need this setup for the extra storage.. :)

Attachments

• DSC00717.JPG
    DSC00717.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 1,106
I'm curious. Those of you who bought the Inno racks - are they easy to put on and take off? I know that the OEM ones just take a couple of minutes. I don't want to leave any rack on for long periods of time, but would love the versatility the Inno has with its many options.

Back