Roof Rack For The Mazda5 Thread

Mazda 3 Roof Rack does not fit on the 5 or Vis Vera.... As for the holes for the rack on the USA model I suggest you move the plastic raingutter piece to one side where the rack mount would of been on our cars and you will see they are there but covered by the black rain gutter molding

I got the OEM one from mazdastuff.com. Should be here next Wednesday. Once installed we are taking a trip over to Joe's and finding a container.

Thule cargo boxes that do/don't fit

Has anyone had any trouble fitting a particular Thule cargo box to the Thule rack that Mazda installs on a 2008 Mazda 5?

I got a great deal on an Evolution 1600 (model 672), only to find that the front and back holes aren't far enough apart to fit the cross rails. The Thule web site lists this model as one that will fit the '08 Mazda 5... I even asked my Mazda dealer if they might have installed the rack incorrectly (though I knew what their answer would be).

Wouldn't it be useful if there was a list somewhere of the racks/cargo boxes that definitely fit your car?!

Now I need a cargo box before we head home for the holidays, and there don't seem to be any sold in stores in this area (Dayton, OH) except the SportRack Aero XL. Anyone had any luck with this one?

cargo box for Mazda 5

Well, I'll answer my own question, then!

After discovering the Thule Evolution 672 cargo box does not fit on my factory-installed Thule roof rack, I did more web research and bought a Thule Ascent 604 (1600 cubic feet). It fits, and I'm sure all of the Ascents would.

The great thing about the Ascent is that it attaches to the rack by clamps that you tighten by turning a knob--very easy, and no tools required. Even better, there are no pre-drilled holes to fit screws through. My rack was just 1/2" off the mark for the holes in the Evolution box; I would have had to drill my own holes to make it fit. With the Ascent, you adjust the clamps to fit your rack by moving them along a slider. The slider is about 36" long, and accommodated my rack with a few inches to spare.

GWDavis281,

The cargo boxes I've seen that do have holes for rack placement come with vinyl covers that you're supposed to use to plug the unused holes. I assume the purpose is to reduce drag and/or wind noise. I guess you could leave them open if you're carrying wet things, like snow-covered skis, and want the water to leak out the holes. The bottoms of the boxes aren't really designed for this, though, as they usually aren't completely flat. Water would probably just pool in the bottom of the box.

The sliding tracks in the Ascent cargo box cover the long opening through which the clamps attach to your crossrails, so no water would get in or out through there.

Hope that answers your question!

For all folks in Canada

I'm thinking of buying a roof rack for our 2006 Mazda 5 and came across http://www.mazdarack.com/index.html. They sell Thule roof racks for all Mazda models at a really faire price. The web site is only available in french for now but simply email them and they will be able to answer your questions.

Frenzal

Last edited:
Roof Racks For Mazda 5

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and do not yet own a Mazda 5. Will probably be purchasing one this coming spring. My wife and I are kayakers and plan on transporting our kayaks on the Mazda 5. I therefore have a couple of questions about roof racks for the Mazda 5:

1. I noticed on one of the posts in this thread, that someone had purchased Thule racks for the Mazda 5, and when they laid a surf board across the racks the sun roof would not fully open. Does anyone know if the racks had been purchased directly from Mazda if the sun roof would have opened? I believe the racks from Mazda are taller.

2. I believe it is post #95 in this thread, where the poster talks about Thule "Aero bars". I'm not sure what "Aero bars" are. We currently have Thule "saddle racks" to transport our kayaks on. Does anyone know if the Thule saddle racks will fit on either the racks from the Mazda dealership and / or the Thule racks for the Mazda 5? Also, what are "Areo bars"?

3. I believe the space between the Mazda racks is about 32 inches. We plan on transporting two, 16 foot kayaks. Does anyone else out there transport kayaks on their Mazda 5, and if so do you believe a 32 inch separation between racks is enough? Note that I currently drive a Dodge Caravan and I have the racks set so they are spaced 44 inches apart.

Thanks so much for your help. Any information you could provide would be much appreciated.

roof rack for the 2008 mazda5

We have an '09 Mazda 5 with Thule roof racks purchased/installed through Mazda. The sun roof does open with the racks on. I don't think the '08 would be any different, but I'm not 100% positive.

Thanks for the reply. You said the sunroof opens with the roof racks on, and please excuse my ignorance, but does this also mean the sunroof opens with something loaded on the roof racks?

Kayaker here also...

My wife and I are kayakers and plan on transporting our kayaks on the Mazda 5. I therefore have a couple of questions about roof racks for the Mazda 5:
I have already bought my 2008 Mazda 5 months ago (no sun roof) for the purpose of transporting one sea-kayak and one road bike. Searching this forum I figure I can carry two bikes (both front wheels off and upright inside the car, but bike seats lowered) and two kayaks on top if I want.
I do believe the dealer roof rack allows room for the sunroof and I don't see how a kayak (whitewater or sea) on top will be a problem. Obviously I don't have to worry about it myself. I think I will get the Thule model since it is not as high as the dealer version and to me looks way too high by itself.
I am always "listening" on this forum for suggestions or tips on roof racks till I get my rack in the spring.
Update: Had the dealer rack for over a year now and the sea-kayak (with kayak pads) fits great, in fact I just need two straps around the middle of the boat with no need for front and back straps. Bad news is that my friend's canoe was too wide at the beam, about 37', and was barely fitting on the rack so we had to use his car top instead. Does anyone know if there is a attachment to add or am I stuck with only topping the rack with canoes 35" or smaller at the beam? Or heaven's forbid, another rack?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. You said the sunroof opens with the roof racks on, and please excuse my ignorance, but does this also mean the sunroof opens with something loaded on the roof racks?

I remembered your question yesterday when I happened to be driving our Mazda (it's my wife's car, so I rarely get to see it/drive it). I opened the moonroof all the way. It's hard to see if it goes up above the roof rack, and would bump into items on the roof rack. It's very close. If there was something on the roof rack, you could just open the moonroof part way. I'm assuming the '08 moonroof works like the '09: there are two buttons to push to slide and raise the moonroof, and you can open it as far as you want to.

Keep in mind that our roof racks were purchased and installed through our Mazda dealer--I don't know if they're the same as other Thule roof racks or not.

Anyone know where I can buy side window deflectors for the 09 Mazda 5
fjr35758

Please search under the main Mazda5 area (Lounge + Welcome Area or Appearance) so to keep this thread on the roof rack topic. Thanks!

Thule Racks

I was wondering if anyone can tell me the length of the actual roof rack bars (not the space between the bars but the length of the actual bar itself) of the Thule racks for the Mazda 5. Please note I am not talking about the roof racks that are purchased from the dealer, but rather the racks built for the Mazda 5 by Thule that are not sold by the dealer. Thanks.

Back