roof cargo carrier "failed safety test"??

X10James

:
Mazda5
I got my roof rails a week or so ago and have been meaning to go out and today finally got around to go out topick up a luggage/cargo box. I was planning on hitting up Sears and some other local sporting good stores since paying for shipping of something would be rather a lot on something as large as the box.

The one I was hoping to see in the flesh was This One (apologize if the link is dead, it's rather large and might not translate well) It's the 20cubic feet model for $189. They have a large selection of mounts and hooks and the like, how difficult can it be to attach it to the roof rack?

The lady in their auto department could not find any information on the 5 at all in any of their books (no real surprise since this is the first model year still) and actually called the manufacturer for me. They told her that it had "failed" the safety test for the 5.

I couldn't believe it, but she didn't have any other information.

As I left I began thinking that they were probably thinking I wanted to attach it to a protg or something :D well, I can imagine how that might not work.

But has anybody put one of these Sears branded cargo carriers on the 5? I'm thinking now that I will just go buy it and not even ask them to tell me if it will fit or not.

EDIT: OK so further research has revealed that these are Thule boxes that Sears sells and after having a very nice chat with a fellow on their customer support line, they have never heard of the mazda 5 at all.

I could have sworn that people around here have used the Thule boxes on their 5's? I guess I'll have to go back through and read up. Thanks for any thoughts or if anyone who has one of these wants to chime in.

Last edited:
The box Mazda sells is a re-branded Thule. I'm not sure to the safety concerns because quite a few members have them and reported no issues. I will be getting mine soon.

safety issue == we don't have an answer for you?

Since we don't know, then we can't say whether its safe or not. Hence its a safety issue.

thanks folks, I think it's hilarious that the mazda box is made by thule and they dont know anything about it. The mazda box was quite a but more expensive if i recall, so I'll just get the Thule one from Sears and mod as necessary :)

Back