Rod replacement

AEMMAZDA5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
Hey guys, I've been having the same problem that I've seen on here, and I've only found one thread that actually sounds like what is happening to my P5. I think that one of my rods may be knocking due to it being bent. I'm not sure what else it could be and I can't find any thread on here that has anything to do with bend rods or replacing them. Can anyone let me know how to get to the rods to check them out?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks guys!

pull the oil pan and take a peek? maybe crank hand crank the motor to get a better view?

I don't think you can detect a bent rod by removing the oil pan. If it was bent enough to visuslly notice it would probably destroy the engine. Why do you think it's bent?

Are you sure it's not the bearings due to oil starvation? I would think a bent rod would wreak major havoc, and bearings are more likely than a bent rod.

+1, also when does it do it? Under hard accel, or when you "blip" the throttle?

It will do it whenever I start it now, right when the engine turns over and it will get up to about 2k and then once it drops back down to about 1100 or 1200 at idle, it seems to go away. But when you put a load on it when you're driving it will start just under 3k and usually all the way until you let off the throttle. Or when you're driving and you don't even have a load on it and you quickly remove your foot from the pedal, or "blip", it is noticeably there, yes. I hope it's not bad....
My mechanic said that if I pulled the intake manny and checked the screws in the butterfly valves and make sure they're still there, because sometimes they can come loose and either not let them turn in the hole, or they won't turn how they're supposed to. But if it wouldn't turn at all, most likely the engines not even going to start.

From what I understand, if you sucked in VICS screws, your car wouldn't knock a bit, it would run like total crap. There's a posting around here somewhere with the VIN numbers of the recall vehicles. Check and see if you fall under the recall for starters. Your description of symptoms would still match a spin bearing, and it's the most common. Has your oil light ever been on (even just a blink)?

From what I understand, if you sucked in VICS screws, your car wouldn't knock a bit, it would run like total crap. There's a posting around here somewhere with the VIN numbers of the recall vehicles. Check and see if you fall under the recall for starters. Your description of symptoms would still match a spin bearing, and it's the most common. Has your oil light ever been on (even just a blink)?

Yeah, that does make sense that it would run like crap (if even at all). I'll have to try to find that VIN number recall list...

The oil light has been on, but the oil was VERY low from the guy I bought it from, but after I changed my oil and ran new oil through it, it never came on again, and hasn't come on that I've seen in almost 2 years. Would that have something to do with the recall?

And do you think that it would be be better to pull the intake manny and take a look or do you think that I should pull the valve cover and take a look in there?? Or maybe even both?? I was planning on pulling the intake manny off today regarless to check the butterfly valve for the VICS screws, so I don't know if I should pull the valve cover to check for the screws down inside the cylinder walls, or if I could just pull the intake manny and check for them there??

If you're worried about the screw recall, better to just see if you're in the VIN range. If you're not, it shouldn't be an issue and I wouldn't go through all the trouble of pulling the mani. Are you having an issue with the butterflys, or what? Pulling the valve cover won't tell you much if anything, and once again, if it was the screws, you would know it. But the easiest way to figure this out is to see if you are under the recall. If you are, take it to a Mazda dealer.

The oil light on this car doesn't indicate level as much as it does pressure. In other words, if it's on, the oil pressure in the engine is already so low that internal damage is probably being done. My guess is that if this guy let the light come on and drove it for any amount of time, it did some damage, and perhaps this damage is only starting to manifest itself due to some other factor.

Back