Road Noise

Really considering switching to 17" wheels now, and maybe get some Michelin Primacy MXV4, 215 50 VR 17 tires, rim width would be the same and speedo would remain close to accurate.

1) I dont know anything about wheels, what offset is needed to remain similar to stock setup, dont want any rubbing issues, just a quieter ride.
2) Anyone used these tires?

Last edited:
There are certain tires on the market that are specifically designed for low road noise. Unfortunately, getting them in the stock size is not possible so if you want to do that, you'll be going with a different tire size. A 17" wheel/tire combo would also go a long way to silencing the car, especially if you get one of said engineered-quiet tires for them.

Beyond that, most interior road noise comes from the rear wheel wells so you wouldn't really have to rip up the whole car to get it relatively quiet.

What would you recommend for an engineered quiet tire that still has some handling?
Michelin Primacy MXV4, Bridgestone Turanza Serenity or Another?

1) I don't know anything about wheels, what offset is needed to remain similar to stock setup, don't want any rubbing issues, just a quieter ride.
2) Anyone used these tires? (215 50 VR 17)
As far as the tires you are suggesting is concerned, I have no knowledge or opinion about them.

But a 215/50-17 should be very close to the OE 215/45-18. Revs/mile are 787.26 vs. 792.01 for the 17's. Not bad.

The OE offset is +52.5mm (positive offset) for all 3 series cars. Best if you could stick very close to that. +48, +45 are pretty std in the AM for available wheel offsets. Or like me if you can find a set you can live with, +50mm would be best all around.
Rubbing should not be an issue even if you go less (i.e. +42mm) than that.
The further from the OE STD you deviate, the worse the ride, steering, handling and braking... unless you know how to change the overall factory geometry to compensate.

Offset is the measured distance from the center of the wheel/tire (zero) to the mounting flange. Not to be confused with back-spacing. If there's more wheel on the inside, like our FWD cars, it's considered a positive offset.
If more wheel extends outward, as in most RWD cars, it's a negative offset.

Have you considered using Mazda6 wheels? They have a +60mm offset so I'm told, but should work OK also. The only concern for me would be clearing the brakes.

Read my thread about my new Toyo Proxes T1R. Zero road noise to the point of it being scary. I thought I was driving a new car or missing something important after a few highway trips. Also these are one of the few tires that come in the OEM size which is my main reason for getting them.

I had no idea how noisy the OEM tires were until I changed them out and though you will loose some responsiveness I feel it is a fair trade for what I have now.

Read my thread to find out more about them if you like.

Read my thread about my new Toyo Proxes T1R. Zero road noise to the point of it being scary. I thought I was driving a new car or missing something important after a few highway trips. Also these are one of the few tires that come in the OEM size which is my main reason for getting them.

I had no idea how noisy the OEM tires were until I changed them out and though you will loose some responsiveness I feel it is a fair trade for what I have now.

Read my thread to find out more about them if you like.

Hmmm,

Just re read your thread.
I read it when you started it but from the first few posts it sounded like you didnt really like them, bu it seems they have grown on you.
I wuld definately give up a little handling to get rid of the road noise, and be able to hear my kids talking to me from the back seat. Right now I have to ask them to shout, or turn around to hear them, it could be dangerous.
Stock size would be better for me, wouldnt have to mess with dfferent offsets + whell expense, so I might even try them out now.
With the 500 mile trial, I could try them out, if I like them keep them and sell the OEMs on craigslist, if I dont like them return them and get the OEM tires put back on.

Thanks for your post.

Hmmm,

Just re read your thread.
I read it when you started it but from the first few posts it sounded like you didnt really like them, bu it seems they have grown on you.
I wuld definately give up a little handling to get rid of the road noise, and be able to hear my kids talking to me from the back seat. Right now I have to ask them to shout, or turn around to hear them, it could be dangerous.
Stock size would be better for me, wouldnt have to mess with dfferent offsets + whell expense, so I might even try them out now.
With the 500 mile trial, I could try them out, if I like them keep them and sell the OEMs on craigslist, if I dont like them return them and get the OEM tires put back on.

Thanks for your post.

If your major reason for changing the OEM tires this early is for noise you will love the T1r's. They still do everything you want the car to do but just make it feel more relaxed and not so damn go-kartish. There is zero road noise and this seems to be your biggest gripe so I can guarantee you will like them.

Besides if you want less road noise you will have to compromise something to gain that. There is not a tire that wears longer, rides quieter, and still offers the same grip and handling. You have to make compromises and so far the only thing I lost was a rigid side wall that allows the car to react to every twitch from the steering wheel. They still react and do their job but it is certainly more relaxed now and not so twitchy.

Back