Road and Track test of the MZ6 0-60

protejay5 said:
disclaimer: comments made by captain krm p5 are in no way a reflection of the thoughts or opinions expressed by protejay5.
disclaimer : yes they are and protejay5 knows and worships the fact

A more interesting question is...what happens when Ford finishes development of the 3.5 Duratec. It is replacing the 3.0 in the 500, the Freestyle, the Futura (Mazda 6 chassis based) and even the 4.0 in the stang. Rumors are at least 250hp and possibly upwards of 260-270 with some tuning (Rumored to be in the Ford Fusion ST/SVT) Could even be more, who knows. I know it's going to be different dimensions than the 3.0, but there is certainly the possibility given the 6's competitors that it will find its way into the 6. What happens to the speed version then?

Last edited:
Super Matty P said:
maybe not Slider but when I think of "MAZDASPEED" I think of racing heritage and amazingly agile cars.....this new MS6 sounds more like a M6GT than a "mazdaspeed" product.

Yea, I agree, they should reserve the MAZDASPEED badge for cars that deserve it.

Car and Driver just posted an article too. Its the same damn thing. Another little preview. None of these mags have the car, its all "Mazda let us drive it on a track, and this is what we think".

C&D quotes 0-60 of 6.2. Not that it matters any.

so nobody has driven the car on their own track and when is it being released to public again?

Typically, new cars of all makes are given media testdrives prior to release (the time between these media testdrives and when the vehicle arrives to dealerships varies).

Mazda, being a relatively small player, typically does global media events (i.e. reporters from all over the world go to a single media event). In the case of the Mazdaspeed6, the media testdrive took place a little over a month ago at a racetrack in Japan. What isn't published is that Mazda combined the Mazdaspeed6 event with sessions regarding their future direction/vehicles/etc... (again, because Mazda is a small player, they try to make the best use of each of these media events).

The vehicles used in that Mazdaspeed6 press event were pre-production models (they had some JDM-spec, euro-spec, N. American-spec versions of the vehicle). So you probably won't see a Mazdaspeed6 on say Road & Track's own test track until the production vehicle is released and MazdaUSA, or Mazda Canada, or whichever distributer, has some in their testfleets to give to the press for testing purposes. And for the Mazdaspeed6, this won't be until spring at the earliest.

Da6,

No idea on actual public delivery anymore. Even mazda isn't 100% on ship dates. With the fire, and china's massive absorbtion of all things steel related, delays are abundant and no longer predictable.

I do not know what you guys are complaining about, but you do have to understand that Mazdaspeed in North America is not the same as Japan. It has been the same story with all Mazdaspeed cars in NA. Protege had a small bump in power, Miata got a small bump too. The 6 however, got more than 100 bhp out of the 4 cylinder engine. So, so far, this the biggest bump in power for any Mazda car in NA. And its so much more sportier, and classier then a normal 6 sedan. So the V-6 model is almost as quick, what do you care for? Most people never reach the same times as the magazines do when they test-drive the cars. If you are not going to buy the car, then dont say anything. But if you do , and want to choose between V-6 and 4-turbo, then figure what the car is going to be used for? This is obviously not going to be a family hauler anymore. But other than Legacy GT, there is no other in its class to offer as much fun and comfort at the same time. MPS6's suspension is oriented for sportier driving, so as the interior, so as everything. So unless you are going to race the two cars, what is the reason to doubt MPS6 for being slow? If you only care for fun factor, then get an STi, EVO, SRT-4. If the 6 is not fast enough for you, then buy an EVO.

ok...if the Mazdaspeed 6 isn't intended to be "driven" whats the point of it's existance?

*edit* reason speed miatas power was detuned is cause it overpowered the chassis...

Last edited:
turboed vehicles (especualy 4cyl's) till they hit full spool are gona be slow off the line. If the weights are given were dead on then thats why we run down the street waving flags screaming B.S. Yes I said something earlier about a 6i outrunning an evo in autox. it did hapen regardells of why you do or don't beleve me.

Da 6 said:
ok...if the Mazdaspeed 6 isn't intended to be "driven" whats the point of it's existance?

*edit* reason speed miatas power was detuned is cause it overpowered the chassis...
tell that to the guys at www.flyinmiata.com who routinely have cars with 250whp or more

Da 6 said:

I think that Mazda is using the MS6 to "test the waters," if this drivetrain delivers performance close to the numbers in press releases, actual tests or whatever in a 6, just think of what it would be like if they put that engine in a Mazdaspeed3...if that happens you can just forget about and STIs, EVOs, or maybe even an M3. Just my guess, but I'm definately keeping my fingers crossed.

the MS3 will be FWD turbo 2.3L....220hp.

I dunno. The new European Focus ST (Same C1 Chassis), looks like it is getting a Volvo drivetrain. Turbo 5 cyl, pushing 230hp. With 300hp and AWD in the RS version. It would seemingly make more sense to do that with the 3, since it also shares the platform with the S40.

Last edited:
Notorious said:
Got my road and track.

0-60 5.5 seconds
WHOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

What do you think crossbow?

Some serious torque to move that Yacht to 60 in 5.5sec!!!

What was 1/4 mile time and MPH?

How long after the subscribers get the mag does it hit the shelves?

^^ I'll try to get some stats for you guys tonight when I get home. Like QM times and speeds. Along with handling stats. I don't have a scanner at home to scan it but I'll try to post the important stuff.

The car tested was pre-production...as already mentioned by wrongpress. All these reviews are nothing more then glorified press releasing. As you've said time and time again, we'll all be waiting until the mags actually see some real cars and get them in-house to do actual testing, instead of at sanctioned mazda events for the press.

Back