Road and Track test of the MZ6 0-60

uh, I read a recent mag and they claimed 6.2s. They even went as far as to mention that this was NOT a sti/evo contendor but a Legacy GT rival...and actually compared to the GT's 6.5s it did well....

What sucks is that a 6S 5spd will out run it.....for $6K less.

Hmm little hard to swallow given its weight, power and powerband of the engine. Don't make much sense for the 5.5 sec.....hmmmm

Super Matty P said:
uh, I read a recent mag and they claimed 6.2s. They even went as far as to mention that this was NOT a sti/evo contendor but a Legacy GT rival...and actually compared to the GT's 6.5s it did well....

I hear ya - but I can't imagine that Mazda NA would actually try to sell a Mazdaspeed version of the 6 that didn't outpace the lower models in every area.

I'm not saying I expect a major jump in performance - but come on - something.

Then again - the facts are - AWD. It's gonna make the car a tad bit heavy. This and the Mustang GT are the two cars I'm thinking of picking up next year if I decide to wait on the house (god forbid I should save money). The third option is buying a used Merkur XR4Ti from MPNick built and tuned to roughly 270RWHP.

reviews said that AWD setup still alowed the car to "plow"

Autox MSP said:
Mazdaspeed6 with 274bhp and 0-60 in 5.5 sec. This months issue.
i'll have to read this...that'd be pretty damn nice were it true

sorry, I need to correct my initial post.

Mazda themselves CLAIMED a 0-62mph in 6.6s......this is according to SCC mag pg. 28

wow, what garbage. I remember telling anarchistchiken if this car came out here I'd shell out the cash for it....I'm going to have to retract that statement.

whats garbage about it....$30K for a car that is slower than it's V6 $23K equal....no proper intercooler, too heavy, suspension not up to "mazdaspeed" standards, etc..

for the record I LOVE the interior. I think it's beautiful. It's a crying shame though that the car costs as much as MANY other faster/nicer/more proven cars. Normally I would choose the mazda product because of it's "fun factor" and handling prowess but this car is NOT it.

I don't think they shudda added as much s*** to it as they did. I know we were pissed that dsc hids and navi wasn't an option but damn...I can press the unlock button on keyfob and insert a key in ingition myself. yes since you mentioned it...why did they use the top mount george forman intercooker? Front mount is more functional and peacockish and if they wanted to hide it just make it black...I'm sorry maybe I can't see how air flowing thru the radator is gonna cool that thing...

yeah, the lack of FMIC confuses me too.. the interheater doesn't do anything for me

great when camping...could grill a couple burgers...thats a feature the evo and sti don't have :)

Super Matty P said:
whats garbage about it....$30K for a car that is slower than it's V6 $23K equal.....
why does mazda keep touting it in thier promotional materials as "the fastest production sedan mazda has ever produced."? until a final production model hits our shores and has been run by a magazine with some pens put to paper I'm reserving judgement. as for the intercooler, mazda has gone the top mount route before with the 86-92 rx-7s. all the more reason for an aftermarket outfit to make a killer FMIC kit, right? :D

sorry, really trying to be positive about a car that I really am excited about.

fastes production sedan..how fast is mazdaspeed RX-8 again?

Ken, I was quoting numbers given to magazines by MAZDA....these aren't estimates...these are manufacturers claims. Judging by the past Mazda is known to OVERRATE their cars also.

Da6, the RX8 is considered a coupe by almost everyone.

Super Matty P said:

So 6S 5 speed is FASTER than 5.5 sec 0-60? Give me a break!Stock V6 is in high 7 sec and you need to pur shitload of money in exchange for torque steer and void warranty.Then look at 80-120 km/h(50-75 mph) numbers-they are just a few tenths off of that of M3 and previous gen M5.
Mazda claimed numbers were 10 sec for stock Protege5, magazines got 8.3 out of it. Looks like Mazda learned it's lesson and gives more conservative estimates.

obender you should read ALL posts in a thread before commenting. You obviously missed my correction a little later.

Da 6 said:
great when camping...could grill a couple burgers...thats a feature the evo and sti don't have :)
Doesn't the STi also have a top-mount intercooler?

As for the price, if your US $ didn't drop 30% this year perhaps the car wouldn't cost $30k.

Back