Retractable cargo cover worth it on cx5?

Yessir....Swapped mine over from a 2013 CS to a 2016 CS. Rubber floor mats too. I'm pretty sure anything made for the early models will fit into the new ones. Picking up some front side window vents tomorrow(Weathertech) that will slide into the window channels without using tape. Had them before in a VW Golf some years ago. They are listed at $92 CDN plus tax for just the front pair.

It was a no-brainer to me. I don't like to have visible stuff in the cargo area even if the rear windows tint conceals some.
Definitely worth the $160 it cost me.

Agree with everything said here ^^

It is very well designed and takes no more than 30 seconds to install. Highly recommend it.

Throwing in my 2 cents. I got it when I got the car and find it extremely useful. I like that it stays attached to the lift gate, and when you open it, part of the cover is mesh so that you can see through from the back of the car to the front. The pics on Mazda's site don't do it justice. See the pic below (that i googled, it's not my car) to see what i mean.

6a00d83451b3c669e20192abf07076970d-800wi

The retail of 200 is a bit steep but you can obviously find it for cheaper. With a toddler, i have tons of stuff in the trunk and it's nice to know none of that stuff is on display when i'm parked.

When the cover is attached, does it cover the light in the rear hatch door?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

When the cover is attached, does it cover the light in the rear hatch door?

When the hatch is closed the light is below the cover, so when the hatch is open the light illuminates the cargo area like normal.

I have a stupid question. On road trips I often ask the kids to retrieve items from the trunk while driving. With the cover on would it be possible to access the truck from the rear seats?

I have a stupid question. On road trips I often ask the kids to retrieve items from the trunk while driving. With the cover on would it be possible to access the truck from the rear seats?

If it's rolled up, then yes. If is attached to the liftgate (i.e., extended) then no.

If you have things close enough to the middle split seat, it may be possible, if the screen is attached to the lift gate. Depends on how large the items are, and how long the kids arms are...

That's a good question. I had never considered that.

Yes, "worth it" is indeed too relative of a term. It probably depends on your purpose and where you live. For me, I'm in the Bay Area and there's a lot of theft of people causing hundreds of dollars worth of damage and hours of headache to steal things that aren't even worth half that. The cargo cover makes a sure thing into a gamble for those with sticky hands and prying eyes.

If you live in a neighborhood where people leave their house doors unlocked, then this is useless. Save your $160. I'm sure you'll find another way to spend it.

If it's rolled up, then yes. If is attached to the liftgate (i.e., extended) then no.
This is not true. The cover does not attach to the seats at all. It attaches to the sides of the cargo bay near the seat and then to the lift gate. So whether it is extended or not, you can still fold down the middle seat and reach into the cargo bay through the seat opening.

Aha! I hadn't even thought of that. Figured rear passenger folks would reach from the top, I suppose at the correct angle, you can still remove the cover from the backseat by pushing it out of place from the grooves it sits in. I'm still new to the CX-5. Can the middle seat be retracted from anywhere else other than the levers in the trunk?

Aha! I hadn't even thought of that. You're totally right. I figured rear passenger folks would reach from the top, I suppose at the correct angle, you can still remove the cover from the backseat by pushing it out of place from the grooves it sits in. I'm still new to the CX-5. Can the middle seat be retracted from anywhere else other than the levers in the trunk?

Aha! I hadn't even thought of that. Figured rear passenger folks would reach from the top, I suppose at the correct angle, you can still remove the cover from the backseat by pushing it out of place from the grooves it sits in. I'm still new to the CX-5. Can the middle seat be retracted from anywhere else other than the levers in the trunk?
Yep, there's a pull loop right next to the headrest that releases the middle seat for just this reason. I use it all the time to stow stuff in my trunk without people being able to see me stow it.

Edit - My cover is actually secured with two tiny phillips head screws on each side, so removing it isn't quite that easy.

Yep, there's a pull loop right next to the headrest that releases the middle seat for just this reason. I use it all the time to stow stuff in my trunk without people being able to see me stow it.

Edit - My cover is actually secured with two tiny phillips head screws on each side, so removing it isn't quite that easy.
You got me curious... Why would you screw your cover on?

I've had no issues with it staying I place, in fact releasing the clips sometimes is the issue, but hasn't swayed my appreciation for how it is functionally. Really the best cover design I've seen.

Back