Resonator Removal Question

removing the resonators will not increase any performance....only the sound of the exhaust....plain and simple

So after spending $60 to have the muffler cut out and a straight pipe welded in (the guy used 2.5" OD... bah), I bit the bullet and ordered the following:

Turbo XS CBE
COBB Downpipe (catted)
Protege Garage Turbo Inlet Pipe

I was driving myself nuts listening to the TXS and Corksport sound clips for days - I finally was drawn more toward the TXS setup... I know it will be loud, just no sneaking out of the house while the Wife and kiddos are sleeping anymore ;) hahaha

guys sorry to bring this up again but I was at a local exhaust shop last week trying to do something with my exhaust to make it sound better and the tech dude seemed to think that looking from the back of the car where the tip is, u got 1 resonator, then a muffler then another resonator about mid way to the front of the chassis followed then by the cats towards the front of the car. Is this true ? I ended up getting rid of the unit second from the back which is supposedly the muffler with a straight through type muffler instead. We measured the pipe dia at the inlet of the muffler and the exit end, and they were both different diameters. one was approx 57mm and the other was about 65mm. it was then recommended to that a 2.25" straight through muffler would best suit this. so I went ahead and got this installed. Unfortunately the car isnt all that much louder and sounds very much like stock ! also after doing some more research it seems like the stock exhaust is 2.5" not 2.25" so am not sure if this would restrict flow now at all and do I need to change it again ? When I called up the exhaust place and complained that the muffler aint any louder, he suggested I get rid of the resonator towrards the front of the car or the one just b4 the tip at the back . Do you guys agree with this ? if so which one should I get rid of? or Should I go back to a 2.5" muffler again ? and just get rid of both the resonators? I dont want to adversly effect performance... all I was after was some sound...

thanks

leave the "muffler" and take out the two oval shaped resonators before the muffler and you will be in love

no need to change the size of the CBE piping until you are making over 300hp then you want to go 3 inches from the turbo back

just take out the two resonators, leave the straight through muffler an dyou will love the sound.. there is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust. if you want a deeper/bassier "dp" sound...add a testpipe

Last edited:
leave the "muffler" and take out the two oval shaped resonators before the muffler and you will be in love

no need to change the size of the CBE piping until you are making over 300hp then you want to go 3 inches from the turbo back

just take out the two resonators, leave the straight through muffler an dyou will love the sound.. there is nothing wrong with the stock exhaust. if you want a deeper/bassier "dp" sound...add a testpipe

Thanks for the advice this is what I was thinking of doing. But the only doubt in my mind is the new muffler I put on there is 2.25" . It seems like the inlet is about the same size as stock but the outlet is about 5 -6mm smaller in dia than the stock system so I dont know if I'm restricting flow too much by leaving it on. Having said that the difference in dia that far back in the system is probably negligale, however before getting the muffler put on I could have sworn I could get second gear to chrip under high acceleration where as now I can change at from 1st to 2nd at 5500RPM and get no wheel spin at all !... it could all just be in my head though I dont know. But I will definetely get rid of both those resonators ASAP :)

sounds like its restricting the airflow. i could spin in 2nd when stock.

should have left the exhaust alone and just removed two resonators...its made to flow to about 300+

So just got rid of the resonators. I like it! Cost me $140, not bad at all considering all of the work I had them do.

I had them cut in front of one resonator and behind another so I could keep the piping in between and put flanges on each end. Then with the straight piping they put in they put another set of flanges on.

Basically I can swap between the resonatorless piping and the stock piece with ease.

Sounds good, but not to stir the pot again I feel no real increase in torque or power. Sorry, I wanted to though.

Gmac

yea i had the same thing done today he was going to just replace the resonators but went ahead and cut the whole section and replaced with straight pipe very nice guy only charged me 76 but yea the shop normally charges 140

I have 2 res delete and no muffler either. Sounds great, paid 80 bucks. Getting SU test pipe. I want to be able to easily put car back to stock, even though dealer is mod friendly. No DP for me.

By the time you delete all of the resonators and the muffler, you're better off with a solid Cat-Back system - Turbo XS gets my vote for quality and note/sound/tone.

The second recommendation would be the Corksport 80mm CBE.(boobs)

Sorry i know this is a super old thread, but i wanna do this but have a few questions first. if i do this and delete both resos and muffler i could just buy a muffler of my choice thats 2.5" right like this one https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) my second question is what about if later on i get a dp thats 3" how would i go about doing that?

Sorry i know this is a super old thread, but i wanna do this but have a few questions first. if i do this and delete both resos and muffler i could just buy a muffler of my choice thats 2.5" right like this one https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) my second question is what about if later on i get a dp thats 3" how would i go about doing that?

First, I guess you are going for sound and not performance, 'cause you will get no measurable gains from deleting resos or mufflers and could actually hurt performance if your aftermarket muffler does not flow as well as the stock one. The stock CBE is extremely open all the way through, about as open as you can get with 2.5 inch piping. It will outflow the stock K04 turbo's exhaust output.

Second, I am running a 3 inch catless dp/rp into the stock CBE. That particular manufacurer's dp/rp kit (see sig below) bolts right up to the stock CBE in what they call "stealth back" mode. They know how well the stock CBE flows. The reason I went with a 3 inch dp/rp is not because it would really improve flow over a 2.5 inch catless dp/rp on the stock turbo (again, the stock K04's exhaust flow is maxed out well before pipe flow rate is exceeded), but rather in the event I should want to go with a bigger turbo later. Only then and if above 300 whp would it make sense to increase flow of the CBE, which I would then do.

Third, if you do remove all your resos and muffler, then please know that when you do go with a dp/rp, especially if you go catless, you will be earsplittingly loud. When I installed the dp/rp with no cats I ended up with a lot more volume and a really bad headache producing drone at 2500 rpm. Hell, I had to put in yet a third straight through reso (3 inch this time) in the middle of the rp to tame the drone.

All is sweet now. This thing hauls ass on stock tune, stock CBE, stock BPV. 13.4 second quarter at 107 mph. 40-120 mph in 12.5 seconds (both at approx 60-70 degree ambient temps).

So, are you going for loud noise or performance? With this car they ain't the same thing.

Last edited:
well right now just sound, i do want to add some power later on but pretty much just the basic bolt on like cai dp/rp. but you said if i do both the resos and muffler it will be very loud when i get a dp/rp but what if i got a muffler like i posted? will it still be really loud. because i wanna change the muffler cuz i dont really like the look of it.

Sound is about two things: volume and resonance. You will not change volume that much unless you mess with the dp/rp part of the system, assuming you still have some kind of muffler. All the rest is tuning resonance. To keep from losing power you must use a straight through reso or muffler. They all sound different. If the muffler has any restrictions, internal baffles, changes in direction, etc., then you will end up losing some power.

Straight through designed resos are designed to absorb sound in certain frequency ranges, that's why certain resos change tone without changing volume or without losing power. Mufflers are a different animal. They are made many different ways with many different objectives. Because they tend to be less selective than resos in what frequencies they attenuate, they usually have very distinctive "signature" sounds that identify them with their manufacturer, sounds you can identify just by listening to sound clips. But the sound you like might be coming from a muffler design that flows at a lower rate than the stock CBE. That would mean a hp/torque loss.

There is a particular small Magnaflow muffler being used as a reso by some members here. That seems to be a good straight through design that might get you where you want to go without sacrificing power. I think the part numbers are 14616 for polished stainless and 12616 for satin stainless. Might be too quiet for you, but flows very well. Concepts - loudness and power are not the same. Ever notice how quiet a 500 hp Corvette is? Just a thought . . .

Last edited:
ah i really dont like the stock tip but if ill lose power or anything like that ill just keep it on...oh and to clear things up a lil i dont want it loud loud i just want a beefier/throaty sound

Last edited:
Tip is not the issue. I don't care for the stock tip either. It's f'in 4 inches in diameter stock. In my sig you will see that I actually downsized the tip to a 3.5 inch Magnaflow single wall tip. As long as the tip is larger than 2.5 inches I.D. it does not matter except for personal style.

well i guess theres not much i can do cuz i really want a burnt tip muffler, but not one thats going to be a p.o.s and not one thats $200+

Back