Replacing my msp engine. Which engines can I choose from?

pomidor

Contributor
:
2003.5 mazdaspeed protege
I hydro-clocked my MSP engine (sucked water through CAI while driving over a heavily flooded street). :(

Looks like I will need to replace the engine. I'm going to look for a used one, but I'm trying to figure out what engines match the stock one that is in my MSP. Do I need to look for an engine that came from an MSP (which will limit availability as not too many of these exist), or can I get one from the regular 2.0L Protege, and if so, what year is good?

Also, there is a place which sells used car parts from Japan. Anyone know anything about these (msp, or the regular Protege) engines coming directly from Japan; are they suitable?

I never had to have this engine replaced, so I'm a little green here. Any relevant info anyone has to offer in addition would be much appreciated.

Thanks

1993–2002 Mazda 626
1993–1997 Mazda MX-6
1999–2001 Mazda MPV (Japan)
1999–2003 Mazda Capella
2001–2003 Mazda Protg
1993–1997 Ford Probe

FS-DE Motor

+1. Less money you have to spend to forge it! And since you are replacing it go forged FTW!

how much will it cost for that cause i would have to spend over 4600 dollars and thats why i want to sell my car since it also has a blown engine

I dont have a clue why or how it would cost that much to replace an fs motor in a msp. Last time I got a running 4g63 from the junk yard it was 125 bones. Thats the reason I mod my msp, if it blows (forged now(idhitit) it doesnt cost much to replace if i throw a rod or hydro lock it it spin a bearing blah blah.

"fs", "forged"?

try to get a newer fs motor for the forge crank.......always better

I need some educating here. What is "fs"; is this some kind of an engine id? If so, how can I tell which motor I'm getting (or I have [my MSP is y 2003.5]).

What about this "forging" stuff. What exactly does it mean?

I need some educating here. What is "fs"; is this some kind of an engine id? If so, how can I tell which motor I'm getting (or I have [my MSP is y 2003.5]).

What about this "forging" stuff. What exactly does it mean?

fs-de is the name of the engine. fs is the series of engines, for example there is the fs-de the fs-ze etc. the mazda proteges from 1999 and up i believe all have fs-de try google, its your best friend. forge means forged internals.. means the internals have been made out of forged materials thus making them extra strong.

fs-de is the name of the engine. fs is the series of engines, for example there is the fs-de the fs-ze etc. the mazda proteges from 1999 and up i believe all have fs-de try google, its your best friend. forge means forged internals.. means the internals have been made out of forged materials thus making them extra strong.

To add a little more. 99-00 Proteges did not have an FS-DE in the US. 01-03 Proteges did. Parts can be made in several ways; the metal can be cast, forged or machined from a solid piece (billet.) The 01-03 Proteges already have a forged crank so when people talk about going forged the mean that they are buying aftermarket forged connecting rods and pistons.

I didn't talk about billet parts b/c of the price and I don't know if there are any for the protege (underdrive pulleys are most likely billet.) Also, don't forget to check clearances, use new gaskets and get any required machining done if you do a rebuild. GL

I hydro-clocked my MSP engine (sucked water through CAI while driving over a heavily flooded street). :(

Hydro clock?

images

an fyi, pauter makes billet rods. x-beam style. but you also pay 800 for a set of rods vs 400 for a set of k1. unless your going gt35 or larger...no point in getting anything other than k1.

k1 - 400-450hp with a safe tune.

pauter- 600+ on safe tune.

ok guys i spun a bearing the other day and took it to a local shop and he wants to charge me 4600 to put in a new motor, he's saying the fs-de and the fs-det are completely different motors and wants me to find one so he's not liable if anything happens,as i really just need my car up and running, Im not gonna fight him about it, my big question is if i were to take a n/a fs from a protege would i have to swap out the head from my msp? or would it just be all the bolt ons?

if you were to take a N/A FS-DE, the only thing on the long block you would have to swap over was the main bearing support plate - which was tapped for the turbo's oil return on the MSP. things like the oil/coolant lines, the intake, turbo, manifold... those can all be taken too, and wouldnt be included on a long block anyways.

looking for more FS-DE vs FS-DET clarifications

Finding a used FS-DET for my MSP has been quite fruitless.
Quote for rebuilding my blown FS-DET is an arm and a leg.
Getting a used FS-DE and swapping the necessary FS-DET components (as described in this thread, and others like this one) from my blown FS-DET onto the FS-DE one seems like a more cost reasonable option.

So I’ve called around some automotive wreckers in search of an FS-DE engine, and they told me that the short block from FS-DET (for manual transmission) has a different part # then the one from the FS-DE that I’m trying to purchase (for automatic transmission – I’m having difficulty finding one from a manual car). They also said that the top block (did they mean engine ”head”?) is listed as different part # between FS-DE and FS-DET.

How concerned should I be with these two part # differences?

Or more specifically:

If I get an FS-DE engine that came from an automatic transmission, will I be able to mount it in my MSP; will it couple with my existing transmission? I saw a post about the starter using 3-bolts to mount to the block on the FS-DET and only two on the FS-DE. Is that the only problem?

2:
What about this engine head part number difference between FS-DET and FS-DE that the auto-wreckers is claiming? Is this a concern?

Also, couple questions/concerns my mechanic had when he heard I wanted to give him an FS-DE (in stead of FS-DET) to replace the blown FS-DET in my MSP:

3: Will the Intake Manifold from the original FS-DET fit over the FS-DE?

4: Will the Exhaust Manifold from the original FS-DET fit over the FS-DE?

I’m about to go ahead and buy this FS-DE engine, but it would suck to have to buy it and find out that things don’t fit.

The FSDE and FSDE-T is the same engine. You just need to transfer your turbo parts including the windage tray(oil return). It does not make a difference if the engine came from a manual or auto. Refer to post#2

Back