Removing the rear windshield wiper assembly

Zeal Red

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT w/Tech PKG JBM
Has anyone one done this or thought about doing this? I did it on my Mazda 3 and liked the look. I have yet to turn it on in the 4 months of ownership.

No way! Even in sunny Northern Calif there's always that one time a year when the sun, moon and stars align in such a way that I'm thankful the damn thing's there.

I used it a few times while driving up the California coast 2 weeks ago for vacation.
It works well except the water spray.
It's useless. It's water dribbling down, it doesn't spray, pretty pointless.

"It works well except the water spray. It's useless. It's water dribbling down, it doesn't spray, pretty pointless."

I don't really agree with this criticism. Spray vs stream doesn't really matter since the wiper is going to spread the water anyway. To me the purpose of the water "spray" is just to get water on the glass and let the moving wiper take care of the rest.

I agree with the others that removing the wiper isn't the best idea. Safety beats looks for me every time.

Even with the amount of rain that has bestowed our state I have yet to have an issue nor the need to turn the wiper on. I keep my glass clean so it does not impede on safety.

I took mine off. I think it look way better!
verde1.jpg

Since it's mandated equipment you could have issues at state inspection or if a trooper is looking for an excuse to give you a ticket.

In the 5 years of ownership of my 2010 Mazda 3 and 3.5 ownership of my 2005 Mazda 3 I was never questioned in any stops that where either infractions or road blocks.

State inspection (speaking for NJ) does not do these petty checks anymore. Just emissions that is all. Also it's not mandated equipment otherwise all cars and trucks would be required to have them installed.

Althought I find the rear wipers really useful and use it whenever it rains.

Know plenty of people that have removed their rear wipers on various cars in various states including NY, PA, NJ, CT, MA, etc and no trouble from authorities and passing inspection...

For me, I couldn't care less about the rear wiper as the rear window is not a heavy stagnation point. That is due to the rear spoiler (yes it is actually functional) eliminating high pressure from the rear window area. Though I would like to keep the wiper for winter when snow falls and I am traveling at a low speed.

Last edited:
To each their own but I use mine often enough to find it helpful. I end up with water sitting on the glass quite often depending on how heavy it is raining and since it is always at times when the visibility is already compromised I appreciate any way to increase visibility. Plus hatchbacks always seem to collect all the dirt they can find on the back hatch. Fifty five mile drive to work with all the other cars on the freeway kicking up plumes of dirty water and the entire back is coated with dirt.

I wish the intermittent setting would have much longer time-outs on it though as if I leave it on it runs way too often.

Heck, the camera needs a wiper. Nothing is more fun than backing up towards lights at night with water all over the lens. It turns into more of an artistic rendering than a picture at that point.

Since it's mandated equipment you could have issues at state inspection or if a trooper is looking for an excuse to give you a ticket.
There is not a single state in the union that has mandatory rear wipers. They are a feature offered due to public demand.

I'd never see out my rear window for about half of the year if I did that. But it does look good. A nice cleaner look.

I've never had a car that is so bad for throwing water/rain/spray onto the back windshield. Of course, if I had bought the mud flaps things might be different...

I've thought about removing mine as well as i never use it. I even asked the wife the other day if she uses it and she said, "there's a wiper back there?" lol.

It leaves a hole though. So what was used to plug/cover that hole left behind.

I've thought about removing mine as well as i never use it. I even asked the wife the other day if she uses it and she said, "there's a wiper back there?" lol.

It leaves a hole though. So what was used to plug/cover that hole left behind.

Body work bondo plus a repaint of the whole rear hatch to do it right.

Remove the "SkyActive" emblem, and put it up in the center to cover the hole. (thumb)

Back