Removed VTCS, Port & Polish

jonlong

:
2003.5 Black MP5
I finally finished porting and polishing my intake manifold and removal of the VTCS system. It will be going back into the car the next day it isn't raining (i hate michigan weather). Here are some tips, in case anyone else wants to attempt this in the future. It is best to only remove the upper half of the manifold. This allows you leave the EGR tube and throttle body in place. You also do not have to disconnect it from the lower support, which means that you will never have to jack the car off the ground. I also reccomend taking off the hood to give yourself the most room to work, since you are working in the back of the engine bay. When porting and polishing, shove some cloth or paper towel just past the area where you are doing your grinding and sanding, that way metal shavings won't fall back into the runners. As far as Dremel bits are concerned, I found it best to use sanding drums to take the most material off, then use the steel brush bit to make the surface smooth. It is nice to have a vacuum on hand to suck up the dust that will build up, especially when sanding down the mounds of quik-steel used to fill the holes left by the VTCS rod.

Attachments

• IMG_0389.JPG
    IMG_0389.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0733.JPG
    IMG_0733.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 722
  • IMG_0734.JPG
    IMG_0734.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 701
  • IMG_0735.JPG
    IMG_0735.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 711
unless I'm mistaken, you just removed the VICS not the VTCS. The VICS opens at xxxx rpm to change the runner length and give more hp at the upper end. The VTCS is used to help with cold start-ups and emissions. It is located at the end of the intake manifold, right before the intake ports on the head.

**edit...I'm an idiot and looked at the pictures wrong. I read that you were only taking part of the intake manifold off, and so I thought I was only looking at one part of the manifold. My fault.

Looks good!!

Last edited:
Protege5 Driver said:
are you going to leave the flappers operating normail or keep them closed al the time
?

one set (the vics) you leave normal and the vtcs get yanked entirely. so essentially they're open all the time. only without the extra crap in the way to obstruct airflow.

don't mean to sound stupid but by doing this what is the gain?

jonlong said:
I finally finished porting and polishing my intake manifold and removal of the VTCS system. It will be going back into the car the next day it isn't raining (i hate michigan weather). Here are some tips, in case anyone else wants to attempt this in the future. It is best to only remove the upper half of the manifold. This allows you leave the EGR tube and throttle body in place. You also do not have to disconnect it from the lower support, which means that you will never have to jack the car off the ground. I also reccomend taking off the hood to give yourself the most room to work, since you are working in the back of the engine bay. When porting and polishing, shove some cloth or paper towel just past the area where you are doing your grinding and sanding, that way metal shavings won't fall back into the runners. As far as Dremel bits are concerned, I found it best to use sanding drums to take the most material off, then use the steel brush bit to make the surface smooth. It is nice to have a vacuum on hand to suck up the dust that will build up, especially when sanding down the mounds of quik-steel used to fill the holes left by the VTCS rod.

by removing the VTCS you allow better air flow into the intake side of the head.

By polishing the exhaust ports, you allow the air flow quicker and smoother out of the head. This keeps the velocity of the air high (fast), which helps maintain performance/effciencey of the engine at high revs.

Which screw is getting loose and sucked into some engines. It's the VICS isn't it? Can you get to the VICS screws by just removing the upper half of the manifold? Does anyone know if that problem is only on '03s or is it '02s as well? I have an early '02 P5.

yes, it's screws from both that could come out.

IIRC, mp3's do not have VTCS, which is one of the reasons for their better hp over stock p5's and sedans.

Just wondering how hard it is do port and polish. Would it be fairly easy to learn just by someone explaining it in detail with some pics?

It takes a LONG time. One of my friends who did it said he'd rather pay someone than spend so much time on it if he did it all again.

i'll be paying someone to do this next summer on my spare IM and TB.... has anyone done a before and after dyno yet?

Back