Recommendations for replacement struts (2012 CX-9)?

mbciuso

Hi. Looking to replace the oe struts on my cx9. It has 130000 miles and I think it’s time. Can anyone share their thoughts on what struts youve used. Am considering Monroe and KYB. Also possibly Gabriel Thanks

I've always used KYB on all my vehicles (if available) since the 80s. Often a bit firmer than OEM but that's what makes them handle great! 👍

I suggesting replacing the rears as a set with the fronts. The rears are bound to be well worn with 130k, and the car handles better with similar dampers on all 4 corners. Get the same brand and line.

The strut mounts hold the thrust bearings that carries the weight of each front corner of the car. These are very likely due for replacement as well.

Your choice...struts are available with or without new coil springs. There's probably nothing wrong with the old springs, but do you want to bother with spring compressors to move the springs from the old struts to the new ones?

I just finished my 4th passenger side strut replacement so I wanted to add some info to the discussion.
There seems to be a problem with the upper strut mounts and these cars. My first replacement was a Duralast quick strut. It lasted less than a year. Then Monroe, which lasted less than a year. Got a warranty replacement through Monroe for another one and it just failed after less than a week. When I say failed I mean that they started either making a nocking noise or a loud squeaking. The noise comes from the top right corner, so it's always easy to identify the problem. Just replaced with MasterPro quick strut. I'll post back if it fails.
Also just worth mentioning, most of the front suspension has been replaced and I make sure to install the struts correctly with the correct torque applied after the wheel is back on and the car on the ground, so I don't think it's another part effecting them or anything I'm doing. Just bad parts or parts that are not sufficient for this vehicle for some reason. The left side Monroe has been fine. Even the reviews on Amazon say that the right side is always the problem?
I'm curious if others have had similar issues or are happy with a particular brand they've tried on this vehicle?

I just finished my 4th passenger side strut replacement so I wanted to add some info to the discussion.
There seems to be a problem with the upper strut mounts and these cars. My first replacement was a Duralast quick strut. It lasted less than a year. Then Monroe, which lasted less than a year. Got a warranty replacement through Monroe for another one and it just failed after less than a week. When I say failed I mean that they started either making a nocking noise or a loud squeaking. The noise comes from the top right corner, so it's always easy to identify the problem. Just replaced with MasterPro quick strut. I'll post back if it fails.
Also just worth mentioning, most of the front suspension has been replaced and I make sure to install the struts correctly with the correct torque applied after the wheel is back on and the car on the ground, so I don't think it's another part effecting them or anything I'm doing. Just bad parts or parts that are not sufficient for this vehicle for some reason. The left side Monroe has been fine. Even the reviews on Amazon say that the right side is always the problem?
I'm curious if others have had similar issues or are happy with a particular brand they've tried on this vehicle?
Our 2010 CX-9 with over 250k miles got new struts at a Mazda dealership. Twice the struts "chirped" (loud, pernicious squeak) from the right front starting about a mile after we drove it away. They said the first new strut was bad, but now one wonders if the top strut mount or something needs replacing? Is there something about that top right mount that rubs? I don't want the same mechanic to replace it again without knowing why it will work the third time.

With me it is the drivers side. The car slams down hard like when you see someone in the action movie whose head gets slammed into a counter that type of sound. It is terrible. I replaced the struts with quick mount types and it didn't last that long. This car is to heavy for the suspension parts that are used. To make matters worse they only use one control arm per side. I think that the revised ones are starting to go. Has anyone had any problems with their revised control arms? I saw here one person that had a problem but I can't find his post.

Well my driver side monroe quickstrut started to squeak as well shortly after replacing the passenger side, so I ended up replacing it too. I didn't feel good about having 2 different brand quickstruts anyways. I noticed an improvement in steering after doing that side too. I'm thinking the left and right are probably made the same but the rights just go bad faster because they hit more potholes. Seems like it's either the squeaking or the loud knocking that let's you know.

I can't say about the control arms. I got new ones while doing the front suspension. Kinda wish I would have gotten Moog. I've never had a problem with their stuff and I feel like you need to buy the best parts for this suspension as it is a heavy vehicle. Whatever you do, don't buy 1aauto suspension parts. They were just horrible quality... the boots on the tie rods and sway bar links tore almost immediately. Got moog replacements and difference in quality is obvious.

Back