2007~2015 CX-9 Chirping sound after strut assembly replacement...Sad saga!

kchandra

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yes, I know its a known issue with the 1st gen CX-9 to hear a squeaking sound and it is related to the strut bearings on top.

Well, our CX9 made clunking and popping noises before, at being a 2013 with 100K, I replaced both strut assemblies with TRQ units. I also replaced the front swaybar endlinks.

Here is the azz-kicker - As soon as I did, the chirping sound showed its ugly face on the right side...exactl like the vid in this thread! Argh!

So, I assumed the TRQ is bad quality, got a KYB right side strut plus assembly from rockauto, swapped it out and am sending the TRQ back. But, guess what the chirping sound still persists and on the right side.... :(

So, thats 2 strut assemblies and still squeaks to no avail.

With both assemblies, spraying lube down the strut from above has kept it quiet for a bit. So, something definitely to do with strut bearing? I am out of ideas and am frustrated, if you all have any suggestions, I will gladly try it!

Thanks, everyone!

I don't know what the problem is, but I can tell you that TRQ suspension components are trash. I got some sway bar links and tie rod ends from them and they were just junk.

I don't know what the problem is, but I can tell you that TRQ suspension components are trash. I got some sway bar links and tie rod ends from them and they were just junk.
This is good to know - I went to KYB on right side, perhaps I should on the left as well. The endlinks I got were Moog greasable ones, so confident those are atleast decent :(

That's good, Moog is what I switched to as well for the sway bar links and tie rod ends and have been happy with them so far. Did you grease the moog parts after install? They come with some grease inside already, but they do recommending adding grease immediately after install.

If possible I would switch out the other strut so that you have matching ones. I went through a real headache with my strut mounts. Seems like a lot of them are defective for some reason. Had a monroe one that went bad in less than a week... Started with a squeak and then became a loud knock up top at the mount. Had a duralast one that started knocking after less than a year. I don't know if that's where your squeak is coming from, but I'd recommend figuring out if it is in fact the strut first before buying the matching brand part for the other side.
I feel like I remember reading that some people lubed the shaft for the bump stop and that helped them with squeaks?
Also I stopped buying auto parts off Amazon. I just dont feel confident that they are not knockoffs.

Last edited:
Are you sure it is a TRQ and not an FCS? I don't see it listed on the rockauto website. I have the exact same problem with the monroe's that I purchased from them.

Back