Recall #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveled 20 miles or so today, 2 days after picking up retrofitted 5. I stopped to get flowers for wife and I smelled an odor like burnt metal or oil??????? OH OH Popped hood seemed to come from engine not brakes? Anybody else experience this? I have about 2k on the 5. I was driving on winding road for about 1 mile before stopping. Also very rough idle when cold in am.

It's probably the new exhaust. New exhaust is usually shipped with some kind of coating on it (so it doesn't rust before it's installed) I'm sure the smell you're experiencing is that stuff burning off.
Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
the_saint said:
It's probably the new exhaust. New exhaust is usually shipped with some kind of coating on it (so it doesn't rust before it's installed) I'm sure the smell you're experiencing is that stuff burning off.
Nothing to worry about.

Yes the Saint is correct. I smell the same thing when I go to the back of the car. I actually like the smell. It reminds me of a "new car"

No smell here guys... (boom07)

I would also chaulk it to the new exhaust system since you apparetntly had no such smell before?

BTW, has anyone checked their miles before taking in their 5...I seem to have 100 more miles than when I tok it in, but I did not specifically write them down (poke)

Enjoy the rest of your weekends... (cheers)

Can anyone tell me how to put this new fangled key on a key chain? (boom07)
My how the conversations have changed, good to have some normalcy back in regards to the recall, my 5 had a nice detail job wax and all. I believe Mazda will still face lawsuits, but aside from the Matrix or Suzuki Aero there isnt much in this comparable class that seats six. :) I live in North County San Diego anybody up for a Mazda5 Rally meeting somewhere in SoCal. Let me know.... (cabpatch)

Last edited:
unhappyM5owner said:
Can anyone tell me how to put this new fangled key on a key chain? (boom07)
With the little ring that was supposed to be supplied with the key.

BTW, glad to see that you don't appear to be so unhappy :)

Attachments

• P1010045.JPG
    P1010045.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 151
Antonio DiMarco said:
Yes the Saint is correct. I smell the same thing when I go to the back of the car. I actually like the smell. It reminds me of a "new car"

I've been smelling the same thing, but I don't need to go to the back of the car to notice it. It actually reminds me of the way the 1994 Toyota Camry that I traded in smelled every time that I drove it (it never went away..part of the reason for trading it in). I'm assuming, and hoping, that this smell is normal "break in" for the new exhaust and will go away on the Mazda5 after a few trips.

boogaboo said:
BTW, has anyone checked their miles before taking in their 5...I seem to have 100 more miles than when I tok it in, but I did not specifically write them down (poke)

Enjoy the rest of your weekends... (cheers)

I'm in the same predicament - I could swear that I had something like 1780miles when I dropped it off and I have 1889 when I picked it up? Maybe it's my imagination...they did say that they never saw a 5-speed.... (freak)

miatafied said:
I'm in the same predicament - I could swear that I had something like 1780miles when I dropped it off and I have 1889 when I picked it up? Maybe it's my imagination...they did say that they never saw a 5-speed.... (freak)

I noticed the same thing. I thought the car had 1300-something miles on it when I brought it in, it had 1450 when I got it back. But, I forgot to write down the mileage before bringing it in, so I could be remembering wrong.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back