Recall #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt it. These are new ones for sale. We haven't sold any more since the recall (obviously) but we are obviously boosting our stock of them for one reason or another. I'll talk to one of the sales associates tomorrow to see if I can figure anything out. That's what sucks about working in parts... you have no clue what they are up to in the sales department.

Our sales department isn't selling any of them. We've gotten a few new ones in and have about 20 in stock and ready to go. We're just waiting on the "okay".

I can't wait to see them back on the streets. They look like such a fun vehicle... And for those who have recalled 5's, look into getting accessories for "compensation" of lost time with your vehicles. Bike racks, step plates, the whole 9. One of the sales guys I was talking to today said he'd be more than happy to add the accessories to cars if it made the customers happy.

Our dealer had told me they are boosting stock bc they are gonna have their advertsising marketing blitz for the 5 as soon as this clears. It was supposed to be happening now, but the recall made them out the brakes on it. Expect to see the 5 on every tv channel, magazine, bus, and homeless person!

Libra said:
I can't wait to see them back on the streets. They look like such a fun vehicle... And for those who have recalled 5's, look into getting accessories for "compensation" of lost time with your vehicles. Bike racks, step plates, the whole 9. One of the sales guys I was talking to today said he'd be more than happy to add the accessories to cars if it made the customers happy.

Hmm...so you think that "compensation" could come from the dealers, not from MazdaUSA?

Just got an update today. They will be adding heat shields, and will be resetting the PCM's. You will be allowed to pick up your vehicle before the fix is done, although it is strongly discouraged by Mazda. The letter we received states that owners are allowed by law to pick up their vehicles as long as they are the rightful owners, and Mazda is to warn them about dangers and have them sign a form knowing the dangers of bringing their 5's home before the fix is made. They also apologize for the recall, and state that customer safety was their goal instead of waiting for parts to come in before calling vehicles back.

Libra said:
Just got an update today. They will be adding heat shields, and will be resetting the PCM's. You will be allowed to pick up your vehicle before the fix is done, although it is strongly discouraged by Mazda. The letter we received states that owners are allowed by law to pick up their vehicles as long as they are the rightful owners, and Mazda is to warn them about dangers and have them sign a form knowing the dangers of bringing their 5's home before the fix is made. They also apologize for the recall, and state that customer safety was their goal instead of waiting for parts to come in before calling vehicles back.

So do they know when the fix will be applied? I'm guessing that Mazda will continue to pay for the rentals if customer decide to wait.

"They will be adding heat shields, and will be resetting the PCM's."

What does this mean for our transmissions, especially the manuals?

Th eowner of my Mazda dealership just called. Parts will be shipped 10/24 and my Mazda5 will be ready no later tahn 10/28. He got an official notice from Mazda.

I called my local dealer about picking up my M5 today. He said that the Mazda rep was not happy abou tdoing it but that it was MY car and they could not hold it against my wishes. They said i did have to sign something saying that i understood what was causing the problem and thati would not duplicate the conditions. This is not an official release from Mazda, but basically they are saying if we want them we can have them.

Rustydragon said:
I called my local dealer about picking up my M5 today. He said that the Mazda rep was not happy abou tdoing it but that it was MY car and they could not hold it against my wishes. They said i did have to sign something saying that i understood what was causing the problem and thati would not duplicate the conditions. This is not an official release from Mazda, but basically they are saying if we want them we can have them.

Yeah I heard the same from my dealer.

I heard from my dealer today. He said that the heat shielding was in, my car would be fixed tomorrow, and I can pick it up on Monday! :)

Oh, wait...I was dreaming (hand)

perfecto said:

It means you will still have to shift them yourselves, you just can't leave it in 2nd for extended periods and high speed.

the_saint said:
It means you will still have to shift them yourselves, you just can't leave it in 2nd for extended periods and high speed.

Sounds like a stupid question, but apparently they're going to do something to the manuals too... <shrug>

perfecto said:
Sounds like a stupid question, but apparently they're going to do something to the manuals too... <shrug>
Yeah, it does sound stupid. But the fix says something about changing one of the cats or something in the exhaust. Maybe they need to recalibrate the PCM to work with the new exhaust more efficiently?
I don't know.

I know what they're doing, they're screwing with us. They are watching us like we're their pet dog chasing the flashlight beam up and down the hallway. They're putting us on an emotional roller coaster.
Mazda corporate said:
"Want your car, want your car??
Too bad, we're gonna keep it for a bit longer.

Want your car, want your car??
Here you go...sike!!!
Ah ha ha ha haaaaaa!!!!!!

Oh, we're sorry, here you g...NOT!" (hah)

Dirty bastards.

Last edited:
perfecto said:

Transmissions are fine, to my knowledge. Just don't run it at high RPMs in second gear... lol.

IDIOTS, all three of them!

Libra said:
Transmissions are fine, to my knowledge. Just don't run it at high RPMs in second gear... lol.

The problem is running the car at high RPMs in second for extended period at highway speeds. Have you guys ever done that? Christ I tried it with my Mazda 3 and couldn't take it for more than 10 seconds. Sure the engine is buttery-smooth, but it's apparent that you need to upshift. The more I think of this problem the more I realize the 3 people who had fires are IDIOTS. These are the sort of people that shouldn't be driving in the first place- the sort of people who raise insurance rates, the sort of people who read the paper, drink coffee and talk on their cell while going 70. I'm surprised they didn't engage cruise control. You know why the issue isn't in Europe? Because they actually pay attention when they drive. And they actually have to take a real test to get their license.

I actually feel bad for Mazda for having to deal with this stupidity.

The fix includes a new "silencer" (muffler), heat shield and PCM change (on the autos only)

End of rant... (deadhorse

I actually did it for about 10 seconds when I took a test drive in the 5 before my 5spd came in. I was like what the hell? Oh, yeah! SHIFT! They must have realized that they were driving in the manual selection if they got it into 2nd! Not like they drove in 1st all the way. Makes you wonder.

I've got a 3 with the short shift. I only put it in second when I'm about to pass someone. Other than that, I put it in the high gear. I bet the 5 owners that caught on fire also complained about poor MPG... lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back