Recall #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any 5s still on the road?

I was interested in hearing how many of you yanks or canucks still driving their 5 despite the recall notice - i ve seen 1 recently. They look soo cool.

I can't believe how stupid those 3 morons (poke) who torched their 5s by driving 65 in 2nd gear are. See that thing to the left of the speedo - its called a tach - read it. You three idiots (deadhorse) have inconvenienced 2700 others. May be their licenses should be recalled too. They don't deserve to drive a 5. Now the manual shift auto tranny is gonna be reprogrammed so I probably drives like boring auto.

Mazda USA and Canada need to step up (poke) and compensate the early adopters. The resale on the first 5s will drop. If it were me I would not buy one despite the retrofix and wait for the 2nd production year.

Comments?

m3m5 said:
I was interested in hearing how many of you yanks or canucks still driving their 5 despite the recall notice - i ve seen 1 recently. They look soo cool.

I can't believe how stupid those 3 morons (poke) who torched their 5s by driving 65 in 2nd gear are. See that thing to the left of the speedo - its called a tach - read it. You three idiots (deadhorse) have inconvenienced 2700 others. May be their licenses should be recalled too. They don't deserve to drive a 5. Now the manual shift auto tranny is gonna be reprogrammed so I probably drives like boring auto.

Mazda USA and Canada need to step up (poke) and compensate the early adopters. The resale on the first 5s will drop. If it were me I would not buy one despite the retrofix and wait for the 2nd production year.

Comments?

I found out about the reason why the exhaust caught fire on the day I dropped off my M5. Had I known earlier, or delayed the drop-off date, I would have just kept on driving... and return the car for retrofitting at a later date (when there is no waiting necessary for the parts).

(pissed)

BTW I'm leasing right now so I'm not too worried about the car being 1st production yr

Last edited:
So it's confirmed that three people were doing highway driving in 2nd gear, and caught fire in that manner? Hell, if Mazda only looked at those who burnt thier cars and thought about the similarities in the situations before performing the recall...

The electronic shift electronic program should have been emplemented as a recall that would take 5 minutes and a warning sticker, then at a later date add on the heat shield when they have them. I think lawsuits and the fear of them caused this.

What would you do?

fam said:
The electronic shift electronic program should have been emplemented as a recall that would take 5 minutes and a warning sticker, then at a later date add on the heat shield when they have them. I think lawsuits and the fear of them caused this.

If you were a responsible and owned a company and you got reports that three of your products caught fire what would you do? Would you wait and see or would you pull the products from the shelves, thereby removing the possible risk of dead and injury (no matter how small) from the equation.

Yes this is an inconvenience but Mazda did the right thing. (deadhorse

fam said:
fams my nick, jonathan is my..well...earth name :)

If you look at the title I actually asked you how this made you feel. I know Fam is probably not your real name. Though Antonio is mine :)

I almost sent an email to MazdaUSA yesterday, but I decided to wait until next week and send it then. They might have an updated reply at that point...because it'll be a few days past the point when they might start receiving some lemon-law letters (if anyone has decided to do that...I decided against it because regardless of the word of the law I don't feel like these Mazda5's are "lemons").

Steve

Last edited:
smaria said:
I almost sent an email to MazdaUSA yesterday, but I decided to wait until next week and send it then. They might have an updated reply at that point...because it'll be a few days past the point when they might start receiving some lemon-law letters (if anyone has decided to do that...I decided against it because regardless of the word of the law I don't feel like these Mazda5's are "lemons").

Steve

Yes defintely not Lemons. Far from it considering the fix is a heat shield, software and sticker.

smaria said:

Steve

I spoke to Mazda Yesterday and the nice woman told me that the reason teh recall notices have not gone out was due to NHSC hold up. I guess every recall has to be OK'ed by the Nation highway safety commision. AKA govenrment red tape. She expects them to go out this week or early next week.

What recall notice?

Antonio DiMarco said:
I spoke to Mazda Yesterday and the nice woman told me that the reason teh recall notices have not gone out was due to NHSC hold up. I guess every recall has to be OK'ed by the Nation highway safety commision. AKA govenrment red tape. She expects them to go out this week or early next week.

The very 1st one or is this some kind of updated one?

What recall hasn't gone out? The original one or is there another hopefully updated one with a day to pick up my 5?

Yeah theres a recall that if you put it in reverve at drive it at 60 that it will start freezing and could potentially crystalize the inhabitants in the vehicle and render it substantially more fragile in the case of an accident. Mazda is encouraging everyone not to drive any of there vehicles over 1000rpm and certainly do not drive any vehicle while you or anyone else is in the car.
jk.
:)

jagsouth1 said:
What recall hasn't gone out? The original one or is there another hopefully updated one with a day to pick up my 5?

We all got letters from Mazda that told us about the recall. But, we should also all receive "official" recall notices at some point (presumably from NHTSA?). Most likely, these "official" notices won't tell us anything we don't already know.

Update

smaria said:
We all got letters from Mazda that told us about the recall. But, we should also all receive "official" recall notices at some point (presumably from NHTSA?). Most likely, these "official" notices won't tell us anything we don't already know.

According to someone I just spoke to at Mazda, the next letter will be out by mid-week with a timetable. NHTSA has all the details about the fix and is examining the parts. If okay'd tomorrow which is possible, dealers will receive parts and instructions next week.

smaria said:

Yes, sorry it was a follow-up to the initial recall notice that she was referring to. What Jagsouth1 said :)

Puckpimp71 said:
I blame the salesperson for not showing them how to use manual mode.

I agree. Mine taught me how to use it.

Also, some good news from an "insider"... I was coming back from a parts run earlier today, and I saw that one of our drivers was bringing a Mazda 5 up to our store (we can't receive vehicles from tractor trailers because of limited space, so we bring them up from our sister store) and that means that it would be coming up for initial sale. If a dealership doesn't have the okay to start selling these vehicles again, then why would they be bringing more to our lot? For reference, our other store is 26 miles away, enough time to let them catch fire. Which means, in my eyes, they are obviously safe enough if someone knows how to operate them.

In transit vehicles probably. Alot of vehicles are caught in transit. Storing them is expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back