Rebuild

gage311

:
2002 Protege es
So here is the deal. I have a 2002 Protege es 236k miles on it. And I may have spun a bearing or a wrist pin not sure yet. I have a fair bit of knowledge on how to fix cars but ive never rebuilt an engine...till now. So far I have a full gasket kit, timing belt kit, clutch flywheel pressure plate and pistons rings and bearings in my shopping cart (waiting to see if i need oversize) aswell as other random bits. on top of the motor i have also started plasti dipping my car and repairing a rather large hole in my backseat floor(pic of that to) Id love to hear feed back and stories on what you guys have done and im sure ill be asking a few questions :) for now i have a few pictures of the tear down and yes i know i should have pulled the motor but i dont have a garage :( IMG_20130514_142111.jpgIMG_20130514_142121.jpgIMG_20130721_151143.jpgIMG_20130721_155215.jpgIMG_20130721_155236.jpg

Any major project I undertake step one is keep organized. Nothing sucks worse than loosing bolts or ending up with "extra" parts then have to disassemble and find their original homes! Lol

I agree. and for some reason i cant get the windage tray out i have removed all the bolts for the oil pan and oil strainer but for some reason it still wont come out. i realize there is gasket sealer thats holding it on but i broke a flat head prying on it(i know i know) and i did remove the bots from the tranny side but i feel like im still missing some

next question if it is a rod bearing do i need to bring the crank into the machine shop i know how to check tolerances i just curious

Btw follow my on instagram for more pics @NickWiddy1

well i managed to get the windage tray out the the pistons and rods... one was spun two had gouges in them and one was so bad its almost non-existent im talking paper thin if i can figure out how to post pics without a url ill show them. aside from this the crank is within spec 1.888 on all but the really bad one 1.884 i still have to check the rods but the one i did came out at 2.014 Ill call a couple machine shops and get an estimate on the crank tomorrow

True i couldnt find a good place nearby so i decided to do i my self seeings how i have a lathe came out good little worried about doing it myself but well have to wait and see i already have new pistons, ringsand bearings hope i dont need oversized everything should be going back together tomorrow

I also finished rebuilding the head ne valve seals and lapped the exhaust valves they were pitted pretty bad but came out good if i had a better camera id take pics but they just come out blurry on my phone

put the crank back in yesterday this is going to sound stupid but i wasnt paying attention when i pulled the old main bushings out but the one with the groove and hole go on the block side and the solid one on the caps right? also does any one know where i can get an undersized rod bushing i only need one. the haynes manual say a max diameter of 1.8879 min 1.8874 im at 1.8871 so i think i need an undersize bushing but im not totally sure

well i managed to get 2 pistons on the rods but the other 2 got stuck half way ( i froze the pins and torched the rods) i got one pin pressed back out but when doing the other the piston shattered... if anyones got an extra preferably still on the rod new or used idc let me know ill buy it pay shipping or whatever. i dont have much money right this min (i just bought a mustang. i know i know but its a 97 gt and i payed $500 for it runs and drives no rust just needs some love) but ill sell it in the spring and get good money for it to fund my next project

Back