Rear wiper issues

P5 Fan

:
Mazda Protege 5 ES
Hi everyone, My rear wiper only works on the "on" position but stops half way in the intermittent mode and does not go back to start position. It does half a swipe and stops. Anyone know why? It use to do a full swipe back and forth but now stops half way.

Last edited:
Any luck with the wiper? Mine stopped above it's normal resting position for several swipes and then started working super s_l_o_w and then it died. I just checked the stealership on the weekend and they wanted about $330+ for it. I'm leaning towards and ebay one for about 1/2 that.
'

I can get one from a junk yard for $50.00, However since I am not sure what the problem is there is no sense re-placing the wiper motor since it still works on the "On" mode (non stop mode). I am guessing it is the relay but don't know where it's located. My second guess it might be the wiper control on the steering wheel. But no one here seams to know :-( . I want to fix this since my P5 only has 150,000kms on it and has many years left.

After I checked the FSM for details, it appears like you could have a problem with either the switch on the steering wheel, or the relay or the motor itself,...

Does your wiper stop at the proper "park" position when in the normal "on" mode ???

When your wiper is stuck, does it carry on across the window when you switch it to "on" ??

Here's the test procedure for the different systems,...

wiper1_zpsc2a00545.jpg

wiper2_zps446fce22.jpg

Any luck with the wiper? Mine stopped above it's normal resting position for several swipes and then started working super s_l_o_w and then it died. I just checked the stealership on the weekend and they wanted about $330+ for it. I'm leaning towards and ebay one for about 1/2 that.
'

My rear wiper did the same thing,... It turned out to be that the spindle going through the glass had rusted up and seized. I sprayed PB Blaster (or liquid wrench) up under the plastic cap where the wiper arm attaches and gently "helped" the blade along to break it free and get it going. (turn the wipers on so it's trying,... you will have to try pushing both ways to help it in the right direction).

After getting it going, I removed the wiper arm and the cap to expose the hidden rust that seized everything up. I hosed it down really good then caked it with grease,... It's been good for three years now.

Thanks! As for your question, My wiper does not return to "park" mode when in "on" position. When I turn it back on it just starts from where it stopped. At least it still works but a bit of a pain to operate.

My rear wiper did the same thing,... It turned out to be that the spindle going through the glass had rusted up and seized. I sprayed PB Blaster (or liquid wrench) up under the plastic cap where the wiper arm attaches and gently "helped" the blade along to break it free and get it going. (turn the wipers on so it's trying,... you will have to try pushing both ways to help it in the right direction).

After getting it going, I removed the wiper arm and the cap to expose the hidden rust that seized everything up. I hosed it down really good then caked it with grease,... It's been good for three years now.
I tried this right away but did not help.

Latest posts

Back