Rear wheel well cover material looks questionable

CX5TX

Just bought a CX-5 and noticed that the rear wheel well covering is made up of a gray felt like material. It looks and feels similar to the insulation material found inside door/body panels and does not look very durable or water resistant.
Is this normal or have they forgotten to remove a protective covering? It sure doesn't look like it can withstand any mud or gravel thrown by the wheels.
The front wheel wells look normal and made of a hard plastic or metal. The dealer claims it's normal and is found in all CX5s in their lot.
Can any other CX-5 owner confirm this?

I think I know what you're talking about. My fathers Mazda 6 also has that type of material, and i'm pretty sure its to die down the sound of rocks hitting inside the wheel well. For his car, it has held up well. Don't know if its the exact same material, or how thick and strong it is.

i noticed this too the other day and forgot about it, it almost looks like they forgot to put the plastic well liner in or something, i can't imagine that felt lasting in a 4 season environment

It's a sound dampening material. It's found on many cars from the CX-5 to Ferrari FF's...it's extremely durable with a molded fiberglass backing that is oftentimes made from recycled car parts and can withstand just about anything you can throw at it. It's not like they pulled felt from an old blackjack table and glued it to the car (2thumbs)

Yep! Had the same on my late 2009 Mazda6. No complaint, and winters can get pretty rough up here.

Thanks for your replies

Thank you all for your replies and explaining that the material is tougher than it looks.

Good info, hearing from owners with it after a few years. Seems like Mazda knows the material works well.

I've sprayed the plastic and coating with 3M Scotchguard. Over 1000km of driving (sometimes on dirt), and it's still perfect after a spray of water.

Good to hear Baron and Vez. Thanks! I got my CX-5 a couple weeks ago and noticed the material and thought, hmm, strange. I'll think about "scotchgard'ing" it. We don't get weather in the nasty category, but it does seems like a lot of rain would be hard on this material (?).

I noticed this today and thought it was odd so I came here to do some reading on it. Glad to hear it should hold up well

I thought about hitting it with some Line-X, but I'll see how it holds up to the northeastern weather first.

I always thought it was awkward material to use there as well.
However, it is also featured on my 2006 Speed6. It has held up great, better actually than the plastic used around the front end, under the bumper cover and wheel wells.
It even gets rubbed quite a bit from the enlarged tires I have installed and it doesn't even wince. :D

I always thought it was awkward material to use there as well.
However, it is also featured on my 2006 Speed6. It has held up great, better actually than the plastic used around the front end, under the bumper cover and wheel wells.
It even gets rubbed quite a bit from the enlarged tires I have installed and it doesn't even wince. :D

Good to know, given that your 6 year old Mazda has same kind of material. I'm not spraying any non-Mazda advised substances on mine.

Good to know, given that your 6 year old Mazda has same kind of material. I'm not spraying any non-Mazda advised substances on mine.

Nor would I. Suspect it also reduces water spray off the back wheels when the roads are wet.

I'm OK with it myself.

Thanks for the info. I just took delivery of my CX-5 last Tuesday (freebie from FOX25 & Mazda, thank you very much!). Going around the car this weekend I noticed what looked like a flimsy rear wheel well 'protective covering', and was going to contact the Dealer for answers. I know where to go now for answers!

I'm so glad you asked this question. I just bought a CX-5 and noticed the material when I got home. To me, this material would not survive the winter. I had to go back to the dealership to check out other CX-5s to see if they missed anything on mine. I feel a bit of a relief after reading this post. How is this material holding up after a few years? Anyone know?

It survived two tough winters with plenty of salt/chloride corrosion. 23,000 miles and still looks and feels new. As with anything else, keep them clean by hosing off the dirt every once in a while.

It's not like this is the first use of this material. Mazda has been using it on Miata (and no doubt other models) for years. I've also read that other Japanese manufacturers use it.

My '07 Infiniti G35x also has this material in the rear fender well. It has held up well over the years and looks the same. I have no concerns with it on the CX-5.

Back