Rear Suspension Creaking

Sacrilicious

boom boom!
:
Cosmic Blue MS3 of hawtness!
Ok, I'll start off by saying that I know all about the sway bar bushings/links, and they are definitely not my problem. I have greased, reseated, torque'd to spec, etc. those things like 3 times now, and they are definitely not what are causing my squeaks.

The squeaking comes from when I go over rolling bumps that cause my rear end to sway back and forth, so it sounds like it's being caused by flexing of the rear frame from side to side. It sounds like it's coming from a higher point than the wheels/sways. I've checked it out, and it SOUNDS like it's coming from the mount/bushing that sits at the top of the rear strut. The rear strut bolts into the top of the rear wheel well through some sheet metal. On the other side of the sheet metal is what appears to be a poly/rubber mount/bushing that actually is used to bolt the strut into place. My question is: have any of you had this problem before? I can't find this part on onlinemazdaparts.com for the life of me, and the squeaking is driving me INSANE! Please tell me how I can order this part! (bang)

Last edited:
I have the same problem right now. I installed Cobb springs any now my rear suspension creaks. Cobb told me the rear suspension needs to be torqued with a load on the suspension. (wheels on the ground or with a lift) I will be re-torquing everything this weekend, hopefully it will fix it. Did you have it on jackstands when you bolted it all back up?

I have the same problem right now. I installed Cobb springs any now my rear suspension creaks. Cobb told me the rear suspension needs to be torqued with a load on the suspension. (wheels on the ground or with a lift) I will be re-torquing everything this weekend, hopefully it will fix it. Did you have it on jackstands when you bolted it all back up?

i definitely seated and reseated everything with the car on ramps, so that's not my prob.

Hmm... now you have me worried. What you're describing sounds exactly like what I hear, and if it doesn't go away when I re-torque everything I'm gonna flip!

I have the same problem to but i thought it was just because my car only has like eighty five thousand miles i thought it was just the suspension breaking in

I got some noise from the rear after installing my springs. Re-checked and tightened all the sway bar bolts again and the noise went away. These bolts seem to have a habit of working themselves loose over time.

ya, i have checked and rechecked all the bolts related to my sways way too many times, so it's definitely not them. i think i have an uncommon problem, since most people have their issues with the sways, but i was hoping that someone else had seen something similar and could tell me:

1. the part name/number so that i can see how much this will cost to replace.
2. any insight on how they fixed it.

i had my rear shocks done at meineke so i dont know how things work in the rear suspensions. But i have similar problem in the front. I will be doin what Speed3 said...I'll do it tomorrow cause it's driving me crazy too. I actually bought the components at the dealer already and i was gonna replace the upper strut mount and bearings and bump stop, but i'll try re torquing first. Thanks for the link by the way.

ok, it looks like my problem definitely has to do with my back seats being up. if i put my back seats down, it does not creak...=/ i already tried greasing up the locking mechanism in the right rear seat, but that does not seem to be the only problem, or perhaps i didn't not grease it enough. regardless, i should be able to fix this up with a bit more tinkering...=d

hookedupmp5: it does not appear to be related to trailing arms, because first of all, i have not installed a rear brace in my car. also, i retorque'd those bolts while i was back there, and they all seemed ok...=/

Back