Rear Parking Sensors - good?

b_scott

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD - Meteor Gray Mica
Looking at a new CX-5 GT. So it'll have the backup camera. If you have the rear sensors:

A) Do they need to be factory installed?

B) Do you find they are handy? or is the parking camera just fine?

Looking at a new CX-5 GT. So it'll have the backup camera. If you have the rear sensors:

A) Do they need to be factory installed?

B) Do you find they are handy? or is the parking camera just fine?

Not certain whether you mean you are getting the factory fitted camera (i.e. as standard). If so don't you automatically get the parking sensors with it? Mine came together.

It is quite redundant to have parking sensor and a camera that has such a wide angle, it would cover the corners too... Not once have I found the need for parking sensors with a camera.

Also I don't like the fact that obvious holes have to be drilled into the bumper, then have ugly circular sensors slapped on.

thank you - that's the kind of feedback I was hoping for. We'd rather not spend the $500 anyway.

Agree, no need for backup sensors with the CX-5 review camera, cannot imagine why you could waste $500 on them.

Forgot to mention that one should never rely on parking sensors to actually park. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people done so and slam their rear into a rock, pole, or pile of snow. The sensors will never be near as accurate as physical sight and often bypasses protruding objects.

My other car has both the camera and sensors. I must say i find the sensors much more useful than the camera in an emergency your gonna hit something and dont realize it situation.

My other car has both the camera and sensors. I must say i find the sensors much more useful than the camera in an emergency your gonna hit something and dont realize it situation.

I generally agree with this. The audible warning would be useful in a situation where you've got to pay full attention to what's in front or to the sides when reversing.

I've always wondered why the rear sensors are necessary if you already have the camera. I guess the camera view could be distorted a little to not give accurate distance, but i think the sensors aren't necessary with the camera.

I accepted this car earlier then the car I had ordered. The sensors came on this car, at no charge, and I am happy they are there. They work great and I do believe that the combo of the camera and the sensors is great. I would not have paid $500 before, but now that I have used them, I believe I would. Good luck.

I recommend getting the rear parking sensors installed. I was in a rush and distracted and backed into my other vehicle. Minor bumper scuff. An audible alarm from the rear parking sensors would likely have saved me from this embarrassment. The dealer installed parts + labor cost is ~$800. I imagine any serious damage would require a new bumper which would probably cost as much. Also, as others have noted, on rainy days the backup camera is useless when a camera lens is covered with water.

Back