Rear ended

iainmcphersn

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
Was bumped from behind earlier this evening at a red light. Pulled into a church parking lot to check for damage. I could not find anything. Other driver was driving a 2000 Protege sedan. Seemed to have no damage either. Impact knocked my quarters out of the dash holder but I found all of them. :)

Exchanged names, phone and tag numbers just in case but looks like nothing to worry about. I checked under the bumper cover very closely when I got home and it's possible the bumper support is tweaked in the passenger side but then again I didn't check it this close when I bought it.

I thought it was impressive that the 5 MPH bumpers lived up to their specs. (OK, I don't know how fast he was going but it wasn't too fast.) Also glad he was not in a truck that would have placed his rear bumper in my back hatch. (boom06)

I continue to be impressed by the car. :)

Lucky you a woman hit me and broke the brackets and scratched the bumper too. On top of that gave me false insurance info. Why can't people just pay attention?

Looks like the quarters are OK. I could not see any damage.

DSCN3170.JPG

DSCN3169.JPG

The wheels need repainting but that wasn't from the accident. :)

actually i was talking about the quarters in the dash holder >.<

but ya, quarter panels are important too! lol

I could not find anything.

You need to pull the bumper cover off enough to check the "energy absorber" part of the bumper. It is just a dense piece of styrofoam, not much different than the material used in picnic coolers. It can be smashed in a low velocity collision. It is supposed to work that way, that is how it protects the car. The problem is, once smashed it won't protect the car if it gets hit again.

Back