Rear brakes gone at 15k..

hmmm, it also states the rear is slightly larger than the front, you'd think it'd be the other way around, other than front is ventilated and rear are solid. (front 11.7, rear 11.9)

hmmm, it also states the rear is slightly larger than the front, you'd think it'd be the other way around, other than front is ventilated and rear are solid. (front 11.7, rear 11.9)

Larger rotors at the back, but as far as I can tell from aftermarket parts sources, the front pads are substantially larger.

Now I have this problem after 35,000 miles. Yes, I live on the side of a mountain that receives quite a bit of brine treatment in the winter. Rear brakes are shot and I'm told that new rotors are needed. I do brake using lower gears whenever possible, and I'm not riding the brakes. The service manager found the TSB, but they have not committed to paying for the repair. Since the fault seems to lie in the coating of the disc, shouldn't Mazda extend the brake warranty?

No, the dealer isn't covering the cost, even though Mazda acknowledges that there is a problem with specific manufacture dates. The argument is that it really isn't out of line for brakes to need replacing at 35,000 miles. At least they are covering the cost of my rental during the downtime…

Engine braking IS basically a futile effort, as Skorpio, et. al. says. However, you can "coast down" while in gear, essentially saving the brakes. Leave the car in the gear it's in, without using the clutch until your engine speed drops to idle speed. I do this all the time. My car has 62K on it and the original pads look to have another 40K on them. Yeah, it annoys other drivers but you just smile at them when you meet them at the stop light. Let them race from light to light and keep the repair shops in business.

Just got oil changed the dealer told me the rear brakes are totally shot down to 2mm. Now at 42k now and dealer wanted 419 for new pads and rotors. But in May 2015 they were at 4mm and car was under warranty at 34k. Not happy that they didnt notify me of the tsb and took care of the issue. Btw my fronts are still at 8mm, i hardly use my brakes with my commute and manual trans.

I called mazda customer service, explained the issue and complained about the dealer at little. They called the dealer the same day and research. 3 hours later i got a call from the dealer thelat mazda is willing to pay 250 portion of the bill. I said great, but not good enough. I told them i was going to call mazda to make them cover the whole bill. The dealer turned around and said that they will take care of the remaining amount. Got a feeling they realized that they were at default and going to do the right thing.

Background. I purchased the car brand new from this dealer and have had all my servicing with them. I think the mazda rep

Hope this info help someone
While these are wear and tear items, its very obvious they had used cheap parts that prematurely rusted and made the brake pads stick to the rotors. Especially in areas where salt is used in winters. Just a bad design, it happens but they should have been proactive and the tsb fix is simply removing rusted areas and greasing them, couple dollar fix. Read carcomplaints.com on the issue, some had their brake totally seize while driving on highways. Pretty hazardous safety issue.

Last edited:
The rotor/brake combo they used on the 2013's are absolute and complete garbage. I had mine replaced twice in 10 months and they had the nerve to suggest it was my "bad driving".

This is one of the reasons why Mazda will drive me to another make. Generally the dealers here in Ottawa are terrible at dealing with Customers and Mazda Canada was no better.

The rotor/brake combo they used on the 2013's are absolute and complete garbage. I had mine replaced twice in 10 months and they had the nerve to suggest it was my "bad driving".

This is so much BS. There is nothing wrong with the rotors or brakes. Brake pads are a wear item (and are very inexpensive and easy to replace but you have to do it before there is metal on metal grinding). All disc brake calipers could need periodic maintenance in terms of a little brake grease in the appropriate areas to keep them working smoothly and to keep corrosion of sliding parts at bay. This depends upon operating environment and is no different from any other modern car with iron rotors and steel brake parts. My brakes are fine at 27,000 miles and they stop extremely competently on all surfaces. I love good brakes and the CX-5 has them!

This is one of the reasons why Mazda will drive me to another make. Generally the dealers here in Ottawa are terrible at dealing with Customers and Mazda Canada was no better.
Maybe this was your problem. Improper installation of said parts by a terrible dealer. A dealership/repair facility is only as good as the people who work in it reflecting on the brand they represent.

Last edited:
This is so much BS. There is nothing wrong with the rotors or brakes.

No it's not and yes there is..something very very wrong...I started this thread with the problem at 15k and here I sit at 31K with the exact same issue...after getting a complete replacement of rotors/pads the first time around they are completely shot in the ass again, fronts are fine...this needs a recall asap...

No it's not and yes there is..something very very wrong...I started this thread with the problem at 15k and here I sit at 31K with the exact same issue...after getting a complete replacement of rotors/pads the first time around they are completely shot in the ass again, fronts are fine...this needs a recall asap...

Something may very well be wrong with your brakes but the statement I called BS on was this:

The rotor/brake combo they used on the 2013's are absolute and complete garbage.

I know this is BS because my car has the same brakes and I've put them through their paces and they perform excellently (and every published auto review I've seen agrees). I've been driving on/off road in mountainous and corrosive environments since 2012 and have never touched the brakes (29K+ miles). That's not to say your brakes don't have an issue. Most likely someone is lightly riding the brake pedal, the E-brake is not fully disengaging or they are not properly lubed. There are other potential answers but these are probably the most likely.

Good luck.

Most likely someone is lightly riding the brake pedal, the E-brake is not fully disengaging or they are not properly lubed.

Good luck.

No way I've never ridden any brakes petal in any car I've ever owned...the E brake is fully retracted...even a tiny amount of lube should go way beyond 15k..I not taking it back to the dealer...just gonna replace and properly lube everything myself and see how that works...

Look at the rear pads and try spinning the rotors, to see if the pads are touching the rotors.
You may try different pads, not the stock, maybe they wear out much later.

Both rear pads and rotors went bad at 48k (2013 model). I am very gentle on breaks. After getting quotes from Mazda, went to a local mechanic (2/3 price)... showed me that calipers were not properly lubed...both rear and front. Front had life for about 2-3 months. Got both rear and front pad/rotors replaced for about 700 with two complementary oil change and tire rotation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Both rear pads and rotors went bad at 48k (2013 model). I am very gentle on breaks. After getting quotes from Mazda, went to a local mechanic (2/3 price)... showed me that calipers were not properly lubed...both rear and front. Front had life for about 2-3 months. Got both rear and front pad/rotors replaced for about 700 with two complementary oil change and tire rotation.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I've been saying for 2 years. My post #19 of this thread shows my less than 1000 mile brakes didn't have much lube on it, or inside the caliper body pin holes. And the grease was a dry solid. It's very easy to add some Syl-Glide or silicone brake lube of choice to these pins. 24,000 miles later and all my pads look nearly new.
When I painted my front calipers I removed the pins to separate the caliper from the bracket. I was astonished to see very little grease in the holes and on the calipers pins themselves(less than 1000 miles). I've inspected brakes on new cars before (pre 2010) and remember seeing more grease from other manufacturers. Is Mazda being stingy with their lube?? Do they have a bad brake system factory worker?! I'd suggest lubing all metal-to-metal contacts with Sylglide on all these brake systems and making sure the braking system has no unwanted stiction. That being said, newer cars these days DO have more rear brake bias than older cars due to TCS/ABS control systems. But 15,000 is way too premature to be considered normal.

Last edited:
I've been saying for 2 years. My post #19 of this thread shows my less than 1000 mile brakes didn't have much lube on it, or inside the caliper body pin holes. And the grease was a dry solid. It's very easy to add some Syl-Glide or silicone brake lube of choice to these pins. 24,000 miles later and all my pads look nearly new.

Is it just the rear, or is it all the calipers? First the tire wear issue and now this... I am concerned.

Back