Rear Brake Pad Removal?

Ok I have changed many brakes! I can not for the life of me replace the pads in the rear wheels. I have removed the 2 bolts to free the calipers and access the pads. I for some reason can not push the caliper piston back. I have used a C-Clamp, hammer, and bad language. I can not push it back. Is there some mazda trick to removing them?(bang)

you have to twist them back in with like a pair of channel locks or somethin. the first time i did brakes on the rear i thought my calipers were no good cuz the piston wouldnt go back in. butr they twust back in becauce of the e brake

just use an allen wrench on the adjustment bolt? there's a 10 0r 12mm bolt covering the allen head gear thing that retracts the piston. Don't grab the piston with pliars and risk damaging it or causing an improper seal with the boot. Also make sure to lube the slider while you're in there.

Kansei said:
just use an allen wrench on the adjustment bolt? there's a 10 0r 12mm bolt covering the allen head gear thing that retracts the piston. Don't grab the piston with pliars and risk damaging it or causing an improper seal with the boot. Also make sure to lube the slider while you're in there.

For the regular Proteges...There is a 14mm bolt directly behind the piston. Take it out and loosen the allen bolt behind it. Then the pads should retract. When you put it all back together you tighten the allen screw until the pads stop the rotor and then back it of 1/4 turn.

For the MSPs you need to twist the actual piston to get it to retract.

But on the MSPs definitely use the tool designed for the purpose of retracting the piston (I know you know, but for the others).

Mazda P5 rear brake pad removal

See post #3 and review page 4-11-23 in the service manual.

Here are some pictures that may help you locate and remove the rear brake pads on the Protege5.

1) Here is a picture of the bolt that must be removed to access another allen head screw that can retract the piston for brake pad removal and installation.

2) Once the bolt is removed, use a allen head screw to retract the piston.

Hope this helps.

Note: you do not need a C-clamp for changing the rear pads. For the front pads, you could use a C-clamp to retract the piston.

As always, make sure you do not have too much brake fluid in your system when each piston is retracted. The brake fluid can overflow in the brake reservoir bottle in the engine compartment. Extract fluid as necessary to not overflow the reservoir bottle.

Attachments

• Mazda P5 - retracting integral rear park brake caliper piston 1.jpg
    Mazda P5 - retracting integral rear park brake caliper piston 1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 814
  • Mazda P5 - retracting integral rear park brake caliper piston 2.jpg
    Mazda P5 - retracting integral rear park brake caliper piston 2.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Back