rear brake keeps snagging

nilsonov

I have a 5 speed that i noticed didn't roll back on the slight hills like it used to in neutral. I had recently changed the rear pads and noticed that one of them was snagging every turn on the rotor. So i figured its a warped rotor, replaced it, and readjusted the E-barke screw. Everything worked perfect for a couple of weeks. Now back to same problem....rear brake snags enough to keep me from rolling back. any ideas?

Sticking rear calipers are common on the Protege. You can try lubricating the slide pins or replace the caliper that's sticking. It's best to solve the problem ASAP, or to avoid doing a rear brake job again soon.

You should clean and lube the rear calipers. Also, the Allen screw that moves the pad position should be adjusted at the same time.Be careful as they are easily stripped out. You can adjust the e-brake cable at the console but it's the ends at the calipers that are more likely causing the problem.

I have a MSP and had to replace the rear caliper around 100,000 miles because the E-Brake rotating part kept sticking every time I used it. One time the rotor was glowing red. I could release it manually by pulling on the rotating part but watch out because the car will start rolling!

update: actually found out it was the front caliper that was seized...both of them! replaced w/ junk yard ones and now good as new (or at least lightly used)

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say i just bought a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and i really like the car a lot. It's a smooth ride. What happened is i went and changed the brakes on the front of the car and when i got to remove the back break pads the Caliper was seized . I used a C Clamp with a piece of wood to push back the caliper and it wouldn't budge. Someone please help. Where can i find a good new Rear calipers that aren't so expensive? These Rear Calipers go for like $180.00 a piece what a rip off! Some one help thanks .

The rear calipers have a set screw to back out the piston. It's a torx bit but I don't recall the size. A search will bring up threads will all ofthe info you need, though.

Check onlinemazdaparts.com or rockauto.com for new calipers.

I replaced all 4 of my calipers for around $300 from a local store.

The screw for the rear caliper is a 4mm allen its behind a 14 mm bolt beside where the ebrake bracket goes. Search protege brakes and you will find a step by step how to on here.
Btw what if you can't turn the screw on the new caliper? I could feel it start to strip but it wouldn't budge

On the new caliper? Take it back and tell them it's defective (because it is). They'll replace it for nothing.

Thanks Rmw i appreciate it. I did not know that there was a Torx bit screw on the back of that Piston. Ill give it one more try again and ill let you know how it goes.

Hey RMW i checheed both those links you sent me and not one of them has, sells or lists Break Calipers. Thanks for looking out though

Onlinemazdaparts seems to be having some problems but rockauto has them.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

I bought mine at Autozone as I wanted to get them replaced without waiting for shipping. You might try your local stores and at least compare prices.

EDIT-Stay safe with the hurricane heading your way.

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say i just bought a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and i really like the car a lot. It's a smooth ride. What happened is i went and changed the brakes on the front of the car and when i got to remove the back break pads the Caliper was seized . I used a C Clamp with a piece of wood to push back the caliper and it wouldn't budge. Someone please help. Where can i find a good new Rear calipers that aren't so expensive? These Rear Calipers go for like $180.00 a piece what a rip off! Some one help thanks .

Check out this thread It has step by step instructions with pictures on how to do your rear-brakes :)
$180 isn't bad for rear calipers... cheapest ones in Canada are re-manufactured ones for $200... oem is like $300 unless you order from http://www.onlinemazdaparts.com

Thanks RMW i will. I Did Check Auto Zone and they were out of stock but they do carry it. I know what you mean i don't like waiting for Shipping either. Who does lol? Thanks For Looking out about the Hurricane i thank God that it wasn't to bad in my Town im so glad that my Car didn't get Crushed like my friends did.

Wow Man thanks So Much! That link that you sent me on how to change your back Disc Breaks was really really Helpful i did not know that there was an Allen Screw back there at all . Pheeeew after this Hurricane ends im going outside to wrench on my car and fix the breaks lol! I hope that works thanks Again. I hope i can help you out some day with your Car like you have with mine. Have a great weekend. =-)

Haha, it took me a while to find that thread as well, it was really helpful when i replaced my rear-brakes and caliper

Back