re cx9 smart keys

tphawk09

:
2008 cx9 gt
hi all just purchased 2008 cx9 gt ,came with one key ,was wondering mine has a trunck button but will a smart key without the trunk button also work with my cx9? i see them on ebay but reluctant to buy one without know if it will work ,thanks in advance

What's the point in spending the coin for a new smart key, and you can't even open the power lift gate?

hi all just purchased 2008 cx9 gt ,came with one key ,was wondering mine has a trunck button but will a smart key without the trunk button also work with my cx9? i see them on ebay but reluctant to buy one without know if it will work ,thanks in advance

If you are patient, you will see Smart Keys with the trunk button comeup for sale on Ebay. With 1 Smart Key, you will be forced to have a second Smart Key programmed at the dealer.

All of these smart key posts are great but so very confusing to someone not so familiar with this programing lingo! We too have lost one of our smart keys for our 09 CX 9. The one we have has the built in/removable key. Given that knowledge, is it an absolute that a dealer MUST be the only one who can sell us a new smart key and mechanical one? Or can we buy a replacement online(Ebay) and an independant person (computer geek) do the task? Some of these posts have us very concerned about losing our one and only key and the cost involved if that happens.

fxpthl,
Let me summarize this:
Have two, want a third: buy anywhere, program it yourself or by dealer (parts $ + instructions on this site)
Have one, want a second: buy anywhere, program at dealer only ($300-400)
Have none, want any: this will cost you $$$$$$$$. ECU needs to be replaced also. (around $800-1000)

Some shop might be able to program it for you in place of the dealership, but I don't know of any.
Maybe someone here does.

Thanks Ceric, finally an answer I understand completely! We have one and need one. Will most likely purchase online but have dealership program it.
BTW, I looked online and found the site "eHow.com" and they had a page listing how to program a replacement smart key. I will try it when I get my new one and let everyone know how that works out for me.

Last edited:
fxpthl, your ehow guide will not work for your application for a second key. Only the dealer can program a second key, but YOU can program a third.

Sure, spoil my day! Oh well, thanks for busting my bubble on eHow but I will go ahead and get the dealer to program my "used" smart key I am buying on eBay.

OK folks, I stepped off into the deep end and purchased a replacement "smart card" four button key for my 09 CX9. I purchased this "new" (I think it came from a wrecked car) and had it programed at my local Mazda dealership. EVERYTHING WORKS! It wasn't exactly cheap but since I take my Miata there for servicing as well AND I get a discount from them because I belong to SOCALM (So.Calif.Miata.Club) it only cost me $60.00 for the programing plus a few bucks to "cut" the valet key. I hope any of you with a lost smart key try this fellow out. He has these for many other cars as well and most late model Mazda models of all kinds. He calls his company "remotes,inc." and he can be found on the internet, although my first contact was on Ebay. It feels so nice to spread good news on a week when bad news was easily available! BTW, I paid $189.95 for the smart key.

Last edited:
Good to hear! I bit my lip and bought a third on ebay, and I keep one in a lock box so I never have to pay the dealer again to program one. Like you, when I bought my CX-9 used, it only came with one card. I bought a second on eBay and when I brought it in for programming the service manager dropped it on the concrete right in front of me and it never worked 100% after programming. So that one stays in the lock box lol. Idiot didn't even say sorry or offer to buy me another.

whew!

Oh man-- I just put my smart key thru the wash. Somehow it survived! Wasn't even the gentle cycle...

Sorry to highjack the thread, but mine is a 2010 sport with the regular fob. As far as I can read through the owner's manual, it is not a smart key. But had a duplicate made at home depot and it would only lock the driver's door. So my question is, does the fob have a chip in it?

This was a really good tip. We just bought a new '12 CX-9 so I just bought an extra smart key off Ebay for $50. Cheap insurance to make sure we don't need the dealer's overpriced services for this.

Oh man-- I just put my smart key thru the wash. Somehow it survived! Wasn't even the gentle cycle...
Miracle. I was reading in the hot tub the other night and my LED lamp went "plunk"! Took me a long time to find it in the dark. Shook it out and it continues to work.. simple circuit. But drown a smart key or a phone? You gotta be a lucky man!

Back