re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters
Mike, it doesn't look like there is an OEE windshield option with the GT w/tech package. The two times I asked for OEM, safelite told me, it's the only option.

I stopped by at the dealership today to pick up oil and oil filter and chatted with the salesman that sold me my CX-5. Just to let him know that I'll be back with my brother over the weekend to check out the 2016 model. He told him of my recent windshield experiences and he told me that there has been a change for the 2016 model but that is to address the wind noise issue. Regardless, sat in the 2016 model...pretty...enticing...must look the other way.

Just to add to the data, the Honda Element forums also had a similar thread on defective/thin windshields, with talk of class action suits.
My 2005 Element (which I traded for my 2016 CX-5!) did not have those problems, however I went through 4 windshields in 10 years due to rocks. The Element has a very vertical windshield, hence the momentum transfer is very large from a rock hit. Luckily Massachusetts has zero deductible for glass loss.

Did you insist on OEM glass or go with less expensive aftermarket replacement?

My wife made the call. Not sure what they installed. I will take a look at it when I get home and see what they used. She liked the fact that they came out to the house to do the replacement. The insurance said they would let us take it anywhere we wanted. If it turns out not to be OEM and happens again I will suggest the dealer next time. Since we have the coverage I am not too worried about it.

That's funny because I have someone coming out today to totally replace my windshield. Got a crack at the top (thought it was a stress fracture at first, but later determined a rock chip) a few weeks ago that thinly spread in a horseshoe shape. Glad I have a $0 glass deductible! Wouldn't be happy forking over $850+ for new windshield. The agent asked if I wanted OEM or aftermarket. Definitely OEM. It only took 7 days to get in (that's including Thanksgiving holiday). Only drawback is that I will need to get it re-tinted again. Hopefully no more windshield issues going forward.

A piece of road debris jumped up from the opposite side of the highway last week and nicked my windshield last Friday (middle center). It is a small nick...stopped by Safelite for an opinion and they said it is superficial. The weather has been rather warm - hoping the cold weather doesn't cause it to crack...keeping my fingers-crossed.

A piece of road debris jumped up from the opposite side of the highway last week and nicked my windshield last Friday (middle center). It is a small nick...stopped by Safelite for an opinion and they said it is superficial. The weather has been rather warm - hoping the cold weather doesn't cause it to crack...keeping my fingers-crossed.

A DIY kit from Walmart's car section should cease the crack from expanding.

Today when I drove out from my garage on my 2014 CX-5 Touring, I noticed a crack line from the top center... I don't remember any rocks chipping the windshield last time I drive it about 1 1/2 week ago... When I inspected it in the rain, I didn't see any rocks either from the top... Do you guys think a Mazda dealer would replace it without me paying anything? My car should be under the 3 year/36k warranty and I also have the extended warranty on the car, think the $100 deductible. The car currently has 30,xxx miles on it

Well, just went to my local Mazda dealer... The service manager or whoever it was told me it was "chipped" already around that crack line and that caused it to crack... He just used a ballpoint pen and ran the pen across the line and told me one part wasn't smooth... Not sure how accurate that really is.

I was told a generic windshield will cost around $200 whereas Mazda OEM will cost anywhere from $500 + labor

Well, just went to my local Mazda dealer... The service manager or whoever it was told me it was "chipped" already around that crack line and that caused it to crack... He just used a ballpoint pen and ran the pen across the line and told me one part wasn't smooth... Not sure how accurate that really is.
I was told a generic windshield will cost around $200 whereas Mazda OEM will cost anywhere from $500 + labor
Unfortunately the cracked windshield issue on 2014 CX-5 is having the most safety complaints on NHTSA website. And unfortunately you're not in Taiwan otherwise your apparently self-destructed windshield will be replaced by Mazda in Taiwan for free, no question asked!

Unfortunately the cracked windshield issue on 2014 CX-5 is having the most safety complaints on NHTSA website. And unfortunately you're not in Taiwan otherwise your apparently self-destructed windshield will be replaced by Mazda in Taiwan for free, no question asked!

Guess we Americans are out of luck... I assume I will have to pay out of pocket at Safelite or elsewhere.

Here's the images of the crack, kind of hard to see it though from the outside.
http://imgur.com/a/pNETK

Last edited:

Guess we Americans are out of luck... I assume I will have to pay out of pocket at Safelite or elsewhere.
Depending on whether you have time to fight or not. You can call Mazda Customer Experience Center to file a complaint. Make sure to ask for a regional rep from Mazda North American Operations to further inspect the crack as I simply don't buy the "ballpoint-pen test" by your dealer! Make sure to file a safety complaint at NHTSA website too. Many people used insurance to pay for the cracked windshield. By doing this only makes our insurance premium going up. Not a good practice IMO.

Depending on whether you have time to fight or not. You can call Mazda Customer Experience Center to file a complaint. Make sure to ask for a regional rep from Mazda North American Operations to further inspect the crack as I simply don't buy the "ballpoint-pen test" by your dealer! Make sure to file a safety complaint at NHTSA website too. Many people used insurance to pay for the cracked windshield. By doing this only makes our insurance premium going up. Not a good practice IMO.

I guess I will just live with it as I need to drive the car for a ~350 mile (700 mile roundtrip) in a few days and I'm sure the crack will keep expanding and make it less chance of it being repaired for free from dealer(s)/Mazda. I'll probably just go to a third party or something for the windshield and not mess with the insurance deductible. Might file a complaint and email Mazda about it, not sure yet.

Let me assure you insurance does not increase. In fact, insurance actually appreciates the fact that you're reporting it before catastrophe strikes, assumes on road. I know this for a fact since I designed the software which tracks folks reporting windshield cracks however minute for a national insurance company in conjunction with working with other vendors who do this for a living.

I'm a new member of the club now. Couple of hours ago I noticed this:

LUJXNEj.jpg

No clue on what's happened on that moment. Doing a more complete check, not found any evidence of rock hit or anything that could had damaged the windshield.

Happened one week before road trip to South Chile, and that $#"%$" me (now I have no car to go). Anyway, glad it just not happened DURING the travel.

Back