re: Cracked Windshields on CX-5's and Poll

Does Your Windshield Have A Crack Caused By Stress Fracture?

• YES - Tech Package

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • YES - No Tech

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • NO - Tech Package

Votes: 64 40.3%
  • NO - No Tech

Votes: 57 35.8%

• Total voters
has anyone been able to get aftermarket (PGW,pilkington) glass with the rain sensor and smart brake ('forward collision alert') ?

glass guy showed up at my house on friday, and the top of the new pilkington glass only had 1 cutout in the sun visor at the top, but my car ('14 GT/tech) has 2 sensors, one on each side of the mirror.
he called the distributor and he said there is no aftermarket glass that fits and only option is OE glass for $$
(and my insurance company wont cover OE)

has anyone been able to get aftermarket (PGW,pilkington) glass with the rain sensor and smart brake ('forward collision alert') ?

glass guy showed up at my house on friday, and the top of the new pilkington glass only had 1 cutout in the sun visor at the top, but my car ('14 GT/tech) has 2 sensors, one on each side of the mirror.
he called the distributor and he said there is no aftermarket glass that fits and only option is OE glass for $$
(and my insurance company wont cover OE)

Your insurance company will have to pay for oem glass if there is no aftermarket.

I notice the Safelite online wizard asks this. I was going to see what they would quote but that info isn't available without submitting a claim.

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-07-28%2520at%25209.12.50%2520AM.jpg

Your insurance company replacing with oem windshields without a fight?
What insurance company do you have?

My first windshield was replaced on Mazdas dime as I had a stress crack after 2000mi. This will be the first one I use my insurance for.

I may be jinxing myself here but I've been pretty lucky in the windshield department. I've taken a couple rocks to it that hit pretty hard; so hard I thought it was definitely going to crack. So far, I haven't seen anything and I've inspected it pretty closely. I don't know if this helps with how the windshield handles impact, but I do have my entire front windshield tinted with 55% tint.

I got my first little micro-pit in center of windshield today. I heard it hit on the morning commute but wasn't sure till coming home this afternoon. Not a ding but still hurts seeing the small pit.

Too late for this now but if I ever get a windshield replacement anyone ever use anything like ClearPlex on their windshield?

2015 Touring, fwd, non tech.

I've had the car for less than 2 weeks and am currently waiting at Safelite to replace the windshield. I was getting on the freeway behind a construction truck and a rock flew out of it and hit the windshield. It was a very small chip, but parking it in the sun at work caused it to explode into a full on crack. I've used Safelite before for my 02' Civic and 10' MS3, and have been satisfied with the quality of the glass and the workmanship. Total for the replacement will be $391.45.

upeqyjug.jpg

I just got my girl less than 2 weeks ago, and there's already two giant cracks in the windshield. I get that Alberta roads can be known for rocks, but I've been driving here for 20 years - and I've never seen this happen so rapidly. One occurred right above the sensor (It's inside the glass) and the other came from the tiniest rock this morning's drive. I'm getting the feeling this is a common issue with CX-5s....

I normally keep high deductibles but lowered my comprehensive to $50 at least for a year since I drive over a mountain pass every other weekend throughout the year. I get rock chips in all of my windshields and it seems the windshield with full sensors is $600-$700.

This. I've had some hits hard/loud enough to wake sleeping passengers. Damn near made me soil my pants.

I haven't read the rest of this thread yet... But I had a windshield crack within 3 was of ownership (2013 Touring model, no tech package). I was driving and heard a sharp snapping noise. Crack started from bottom center and then came up about 1 foot+ Had to pay the dealer for the replacement. Ever since then there haven't been any large cracks but I do continue to hear loud snapping noises every so often. There are some tiny scratch-like marks on the upper left of the windshield now that glint bright in the sunlight but only at certain angles. With the number of posts I've seen about cracked windshields it seems that someone might get the bright idea to start a class action investigation...

DO NOTuse safelite aftermarket glass. I went through 3 of them that had manufacture defect issues. They are bad quality, they don't even have as much bracing and padding as the OEM windshield. Get the OEM windshield or bust. I didn't have to pay for them b/c they were bad quality, but still wasted a lot of time.

Bought mine in April of 2013, as of today 18,500 miles and no cracks. Only a couple of rock chips.

Why does a replacement windshield cost so much for the CX-5? I have the Touring CX-5 2014 and I've been getting quotes of $360 plus. I was quoted for $450 for Pilkington windshield which is the OEM equivalent.

Well.... My 2014 Diesel has a J shaped crack in middle of windscreen . Will be insurance job they originally said I would have use there own glass but it comes with some green tint across the top of it . Said I wanted the same plain glass. They said it will need to be approved by Mazda NZ ? Didnt ask why as I was in a hurry.
Whats the tech package equivilant in NZ ?

So Rang my Mazda dealer & basicly palmed me off to insurance said its come under "General Wear & Tear". To top if I have to wait 7 working days for the glass to arrive & hope that glass doesn't break completely . Very Average Mazda NZ............

The Cracked Screen

nYgrmoI.jpg

That's exactly like the same crack I had on mine earlier this year and it had to be an insurance job as the dealer didn't want to know. My crack happened while it was parked for 2 hours in the sun on the first warm day of the year. Coincidence????

Jonno21

Well 10 days have gone by & Im still waiting for my new windscreen to show up at Smith & Smith Glaziers . What a joke !!!!!!

Well rolling over 2 weeks now.Smith & Smith has sucessfully broken 2 screens before they even close to my car. I rang the Mazda guy where I live & he did a bit research for me & said they have only got 4 Mazda OEM screens in the country at the moment & I'm on to my 3rd ..... ******* bulls*** !!

yep, I already replaced a windshield in Sept (have had Tonto Jr since March) and the rock was not from the dirt road I had driven on and back but from the highway. I had 3 rocks hit over time on my Mazda Tribute (MYTONTO) and had them mended at the car wash; they NEVER cracked. This time it was a crack across the driver's side. Fortunately I pay a high premium so no cost on replacement. Don't have tech package either if you're talking about the fancy windshield with the rain alert wipers.

While driving behind a trailer on the freeway I felt like I was getting pummeled by rocks so I pulled into the other lane.

and now, yep, I have a chip in the center lower windshield. I feel like I am constantly in the line of fire. This is very disturbing and scary to me. I need to take a look at the roof of the car because I hear them hit but sometimes not always my windshield. I can't believe I am going to have to drive this vehicle with having to constantly worry about that for as long as I have it. I feel like I should wear a helmet and protective eyewear.

My story...
I have a 2015 CX-5 with Tech Package
I came back to my office from lunch, parked in the office lot (outdoors) and all was fine. At 5:00pm, left for home and saw a small crack at just to the left of the "tech package box". Looking from front, the crack starts at the top of the windshield (exact center) and extends down, then makes a "J" loop under the tech package box, and finally ends at the spot I saw from inside the car. Took it to the dealer who did the "pen test". Dealer claims it was a rock hit.

The car was parked when the crack appeared. It was a warm day (lower 80s) so I am willing to accept the possibility that a small chip expanded due to the heat. Still, very strange that so many people have this issue.

I ordered a new OEM windshield and it's supposed to be installed tomorrow. I'm wondering if that was the right decision. On the whole, the OEM glass appears to have a better reputation on all forums I've been following. On the other hand...the OEM glass is the one that cracked for me (and everyone else here as well). After market glass has a reputation for lesser quality but...it doesn't looks like the OEM glass is doing that well anyway.

Any opinions?

Back